diy solar

diy solar

What is recommended way to ground a ground mount solar array?

The reason you can't pour over a ground rod in a residential setting usually has to do with access to the connection. You can pour concrete all around it as long as you can access the connection.
A ufer ground is when your ground wire is bonded to the steel in the concrete foundation of the building. No exposure.

Unless you meant Solar Panels that is the complete opposite of what the County inspector makes you do.

A sub panel is wired back to the main panel.

Only difference is you don’t bond the neutral ground at the sub panel.
You must be misunderstanding what I'm saying. In the US, each structure needs it's own grounding electrode.

Example: Building B has a subpanel that is fed from a main panel in building A. Building B must have its own grounding electrode.

You can't just run a ground wire from building A to the building B subpanel and call it good. You definitely wouldn't pass inspection around here if you did that. There are situations where you need both a ground wire from the main panel and a ground wire to the buildings own grounding electrode, like if there are other electrical paths between the two buildings (ie metal water pipes).

Last edited:
You must be misunderstanding what I'm saying. I the US, each structure needs it's own grounding electrode.

Example: Building B has a subpanel that is fed from a main panel in building A. Building B must have its own grounding electrode.

You can't just run a ground wire from building A to the building B subpanel and call it good. You definitely wouldn't pass inspection around here if you did that. There are situations where you need both a ground wire from the main panel and a ground wire to the buildings own grounding electrode, like if there are other electrical paths between the two buildings (ie metal water pipes
Every Subpanel I have ever installed or seen installed in a detached structure has 4 wires. 2 hot, 1 neutral and one ground that all go back to the main panel.

Every one of those panels has been inspected.

Bonding screw removed.

Last edited:
Every Subpanel I have ever installed or seen installed in a detached structure has 4 wires. 2 hot, 1 neutral and one ground that all go back to the main panel.

Every one of those panels has been inspected.

Bonding screw removed.
Did the separate structure have its own grounding electrode too? If so then that's fine.

I see that there's an exception (at least in an older NEC, not sure of it has been removed since then) for the grounding electrode requirement for a building that only has a "single branch circuit". None of my structures fit that requirement so they all have their own grounding electrode.

I see that there's an exception (at least in an older NEC, not sure of it has been removed since then) for the grounding electrode requirement for a building that only has a "single branch circuit". None of my structures fit that requirement so they all have their own grounding electrode.
You have multiple branch circuits from the main in your buildings?

You have multiple branch circuits from the main in your buildings?
All of my subpanels have multiple circuits. I think that exclusion is there for situations like running power to a shed just to run a light or two.

All of my subpanels have multiple circuits. I think that exclusion is there for situations like running power to a shed just to run a light or two.
I have a 200 amp service running to a 30x50 shop plus I have a barn with 100 amp service.
No grounding rod.

All runs back to main house and grounded there.

I have a 200 amp service running to a 30x50 shop plus I have a barn with 100 amp service.
No grounding rod.

All runs back to main house and grounded there.
That barn absolutely needs a grounding rod. That would never pass inspection here.

Anytime a detached structure sub panel has more than branch circuit , the wires supplying power to the sub are considered feeders. Should have a rod and a connection to the main panel grounding electrode

Passed here.
Have never seen a grounding rod away from main feed.
It must not be a common situation where you live. Where I'm at it's very common so the local electricians and inspectors are familiar with the code. Just on my property we have 4 main panels and about half a dozen subpanels that are all in separate structures.

It must not be a common situation where you live. Where I'm at it's very common so the local electricians and inspectors are familiar with the code. Just on my property we have 4 main panels and about half a dozen subpanels that are all in separate structures.
We also have sub panels in detached structures just no Grounding rods.
They pull the ground/neutral bond screw from sub panels and everything goes back to the main.

Not sure why you would need multiple main panels. You only have 1 meter yes?

They pull the ground/neutral bonding screw from sub panels and everything goes back to the main.

They pull the ground/neutral bonding screw from sub panels and everything goes back to the main.

We have two meters. Each one feeds two main panels.

We have two meters. Each one feeds two main panels.
That’s either a big ass farm or a commercial structure.

I have never seen a home with multiple feeds from a transformer..

Even 10,000 Sqft home might have 400 amp service but 1 meter..

That’s either a big ass farm or a commercial structure.

I have never seen a home with multiple feeds from a transformer.
You're right it's a farm. One meter for business use and one for "personal". 10 different structures.

Back