diy solar

diy solar

What is required for a Solar Panel to charge small portable battery bank

Prefersdirt

Solar Enthusiast
I have heard of the small solar panels or backpacks with the solar panel built in - and got to wondering: What is required to use a full sized panel (I have some extra panels) to just charge either a phone or the small portable battery bank that are readily available? While these batteries won't power much, they can do LOTS for recharging small devices that seem to be accumulating in everyone's stash. Radios. Hand heaters. Cell phones, etc (of course). Flashlights.

These really small battery banks are readily available and highly portable. My trying a couple of different things with them did well. Just trying to figure out if there is a way to use a spare panel for whatever reason. I know it is not as simple as splicing the panel cables to a USB cable and plugging things in.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Note: I have ZERO affiliation with the links I used - just putting something in so everyone can understand what I am talking about.

I've been wondering the same thing. In fact I've started collecting USB lights, etc to play with.
Remember:
Most solar panels are 12v nominal (actually about 21v open circuit)
Most power packs are USB which means 5vdc. This means that you need a way to step down and regulate the PV for starters before you connect it to the power pack. My cheap SCC also had outputs for USB but I've never tried using it to charge a USB power pack. You could also use a buck converter to step down from 12 to 5vdc.

Plus, as you mentioned, you need to also match the physical plugs.

Just saw this, and I had to reply.

310 - 5-star reviews, no specs, and not one question on the battery pack you mentioned, that's one awesome marketing dept :)

They're great for charging phones and stuff, but the solar charging part is pure crap.
It takes over 24 hours of direct sun (not using it) to charge a 10K mAh pack back up.
With roughly 5 hours of good sun a day, you need to leave it charging for a week.
The solar panels on the packs charge around 250 mA. (10000/250= 40 hours)

You can get a portable solar panel that has 5V usb output jacks like the 60 Watt Paxcess panels, but those panels are not compact.
The most you can charge the packs is around 1-2 amps, so even plugged in it takes 5-6 hours.

The best solution is to buy the largest one you're willing to carry around and charge it up at home.

Suggest a 20w panel with a USB output (usually has an 18-5v stepdown on the back.

Don't get a 10w, it will barely make enough power to run the stepdown and well as charge your device.

I have heard of the small solar panels or backpacks with the solar panel built in - and got to wondering: What is required to use a full sized panel (I have some extra panels) to just charge either a phone or the small portable battery bank that are readily available? While these batteries won't power much, they can do LOTS for recharging small devices that seem to be accumulating in everyone's stash. Radios. Hand heaters. Cell phones, etc (of course). Flashlights.

These really small battery banks are readily available and highly portable. My trying a couple of different things with them did well. Just trying to figure out if there is a way to use a spare panel for whatever reason. I know it is not as simple as splicing the panel cables to a USB cable and plugging things in.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Note: I have ZERO affiliation with the links I used - just putting something in so everyone can understand what I am talking about.
Easy solution is to get a 12/24V usb bulkhead, connect to any solar panel that won’t output over 30V, and charge the devices.
works fine. I do it all the time.

Back