diy solar

diy solar

What is the difference between series and serial?

Geokilroy

I keep seeing the word serial used in battery hookup discussions. Don't they mean series? I am just a little confused why?

As far as I know they are used interchangeably and mean the same thing, at least as we are discussing. I'm sure I'll get a butt chewing from some electrician about it, but as long as you aren't mixing up serial / parallel I think we will be ok. :oops:

And don't use cereal instead, doesn't work, for a variety of reasons.

Maybe it comes from some of our computer days, serial ports, parallel ports.

The two words are used interchangeably. Although I often think of serial as a more sequential process as in using a battery set one at a time in a certain order as in having a serial number. And again in the context of batteries the two words have same meaning.

It's just grammar.

Serially connected batteries are batteries connected in series.

Although I often think of serial as a more sequential process
Yes, as in a serial communications protocol.

I think for clarity for circuit components (batteries, PV panels, etc) it is better to stick to using the term series, and to phrase sentence structure accordingly.

Serial is what you eat in the morning for breakfast. Series is how you hook up batteries to increase voltage.

Serial is what you eat in the morning for breakfast. Series is how you hook up batteries to increase voltage.
Serial is the state of being in series.
Visualize series as walking single file.
Visualize parallel as walking line abreast.

I serially eat my cereal and toast while drinking my coffee in parallel.

Back