diy solar

diy solar

What is the most reliable 12V lead and AGM battery charger (maintener) you use ?

ToyoEgo

Hello everyone,

i just want to know which charger brand you use to maintain your AGM/Lead acid battery. I had few junk charger in the past (motomaster and some cheap amazon knock off ones), and all are failed ... or worst, overcharge and kill the battery.

Now, i want to invest in a better brand and better charger, and i see a few one like Noco, Battery Tender and Tecmate Optimate, but they all seem to be ''made'' for car battery. If you have another brand to suggest, i'm open to anything better. So here is my question, which brand did you use for charge/maintain your battery ?

Thank in advance

I really like both my Ampeak chargers. 25a really helps quick charge my LFP batteries before I top balance, but is also good at topping up my 4 pack of WallyWorld DC29's at the camp. It does everything I want and have been running great for years.

I have the victron energy blue smart ip67 24 volt good features but double the ampeak price but it’s been a solid unit for me just wish it had higher amp output only 12 amp

I pretty much use the NOCO chargers on everything now.

So you are just looking for Battery Maintainer for AGM/LA battery (these batteries are used in car or some other purpose, the charger will not know how the batteries are being used where), correct?
I use Battery Tender 4.5A (it can do LA and LiFePO4) I get from Costco, have been using it for about a year now, the only thing I do not like is that it runs hot.

I have bought from China
HTRC 12V-24V 25A.
It surprisingly works well. :)

Sb8844c1419f94bebb987587b09da4ca0n.jpg

Reactions: wme
There range of Victron smart battery chargers are perhaps the best available. Interface via the app for full control of charging perameters or selection of battery type presets. The app also shows the charge process.
( and you get a 5 year warranty)

Mike

For little batteries, I use the HF 4A digital maintainer. Bought 5 of them years ago for like $15/each zero issues. Has 6/12V FLA and AGM modes, also winter “tender” modes for each type/voltage. They have earned my trust and stay on everything not in use 24/7/365.

Last edited:
Back