diy solar

diy solar

What is the proper way to wire a large 12 volt battery bank?

MNotLyon

I just ordered 6 of the 12 volt 190 amp hour aluminum cased DIY batteries that Will recommends, and 6 of the overkill BMS's to go with them.
My intent is to make a large buss bar to run my loads from, and to fuse each load appropriately after the buss bar. I will of course have a large fuse from the battery bank to the buss bar.

Here's my question: Should I treat each group of 4 batteries as its own 12 volt battery, and run the BMS to the buss bar individually, or should I make 1 massive 12 volt battery and run the BMS's in parallel to the buss bar? If I treat them as individual batteries, will I have problems with balance when I charge them?

Additional info:
I've ordered 2 victron 3000 watt multipluses (12 volt). I'll be using one of these on each leg of my 50 amp 5th wheel. These will be my largest loads, but I'll be drawing some 12 volt loads as well. Charging will be primarily done using the multipluses, but I've also ordered a victron dc to dc charger so my tow vehicle can charge as we drive as well.

Back