diy solar

diy solar

What is this Setup Called?

Sounds like the problem, because the well water pressure tank does not sound at all hollow when tapped. It's probably completely full of water.

There is no drain on my well water pressure tank. How am I supposed to drain the water out.

Sounds like the problem, because the well water pressure tank does not sound at all hollow when tapped. It's probably completely full of water.

There is no drain on my well water pressure tank. How am I supposed to drain the water out.
Turn the power to the pump off and open some spigots , then loosen some plumbing

If the bladder is shot you will need to remove the tank to repair it.
Okay, so you don't really need to "drain" out the water then? Just add air?
You need to drain the water or you won't get an accurate reading on the air pressure. Typically the fact that it is waterlogged means the bladder is bad and you will need to disassemble the tank and change the bladder. Just adding air will be a temporary fix at best.

Just adding air will be a temporary fix at best.
When I was a kid various expansion tanks needed to be drained and repressurized with air nearly every year. There was no bladder. Pumping up the air occasionally would be a pain but a no-cost solution ?
Of course the means the air has to be ABOVE the waterline fitting not below.

When I was a kid various expansion tanks needed to be drained and repressurized with air nearly every year. There was no bladder. Pumping up the air occasionally would be a pain but a no-cost solution ?
Of course the means the air has to be ABOVE the waterline fitting not below.
Usually those systems have 2 Schrader valves located in the pipeline and when the pump shuts off the water on the incoming side of the check valve drains back a few feet creating an "air shot" to put air into the tank, the next time the pump comes on. Those are usually bladder less tanks.
Bubbles float and would displace that water with enough pressure. ;)
Check this video it explains it.

I have one in my basement....well water. But my pump is in the well. Set the blue tank at 36psi. Set your switch for cut-in at 20psi, cut-out 45psi. The higher you set the cut-out the shorter duration you will have in-between pump operations. Other words, the tank will hold more water if you keep those switch set points low as possible.

Right, but if that isn’t a closed system like a furnace expansion tank, the air would purge out the kitchen sink faucet as soon as it was opened.
Yeah this all seems pretty complicated when all I've ever had to do is drain my tank down and pump up the bladder with my bicycle pump and then turn the pump back on. I'm sure things have changed since the last time 10 or 15 years ago only on a bladder-less tank. That was before youtube though so I just followed grandpa's lead and can certainly understand the trepidation to jump in and fix it. We always figured 7-10Xs starting inrush on a motor to be safe. I wonder how an otherwise properly sized battery bank would hold up under that kind of load?

Edit. Also make sure your shrader valve on the top of the tank doesn't have a leak. Spit on it and watch for bubbles

Last edited:
I have one in my basement....well water. But my pump is in the well. Set the blue tank at 36psi. Set your switch for cut-in at 20psi, cut-out 45psi. The higher you set the cut-out the shorter duration you will have in-between pump operations. Other words, the tank will hold more water if you keep those switch set points low as possible.
Do you think 36psi on the tank and 20 cut-in/ 45 cut-out is OK for our small house? The system only pressurizes three outlets: Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower. Occasionally it delivers water to a washing machine.

Do you think 36psi on the tank and 20 cut-in/ 45 cut-out is OK for our small house? The system only pressurizes three outlets: Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower. Occasionally it delivers water to a washing machine.
I am thinking you could be closer on the cutout to the 36psi bladder pressure. Pressure isn’t flow, but building pressure takes more watts out of your system. On the other side is that you’d run a little more often but ‘I think’ you be better off not running as high of a pressure.
Maybe others more informed will have better input but those are my thoughts.

Yeah this all seems pretty complicated when all I've ever had to do is drain my tank down and pump up the bladder with my bicycle pump and then turn the pump back on. I'm sure things have changed since the last time 10 or 15 years ago only on a bladder-less tank. That was before youtube though so I just followed grandpa's lead and can certainly understand the trepidation to jump in and fix it. We always figured 7-10Xs starting inrush on a motor to be safe. I wonder how an otherwise properly sized battery bank would hold up under that kind of load?

Edit. Also make sure your shrader valve on the top of the tank doesn't have a leak. Spit on it and watch for bubbles
This is what we did. Seems to have worked at least for now. We´re back to being able to get 5-6 liters out of the tap without having the pump kick on.

I am thinking you could be closer on the cutout to the 36psi bladder pressure. Pressure isn’t flow, but building pressure takes more watts out of your system. On the other side is that you’d run a little more often but ‘I think’ you be better off not running as high of a pressure.
Maybe others more informed will have better input but those are my thoughts.
Watts is not much of a concern. Our solar system is properly sized.

The original installer set the pump system to cycle between cut-in around 8psi and cut-out about 25psi. We just re-pressurized the air tank with our bike pump and left the pressure switch configured as it was.

It was suggested that a low psi range might cause the air tank to fill with water more often.

Are there other concerns? The only consideration by the original installer is that we don't have very many linear meters of plumbing pipe in the house. The pump is on the side of the house where all the sinks, shower, and washing machine are. Honestly at 36 psi, I'd be a bit concerned about the pressure. I like to assume everyone here half-asses things, so I'm sure the extra pressure wouldn't benefit the household plumbing connections. I've never felt that our household water pressure is too weak.

Honestly at 36 psi, I'd be a bit concerned about the pressure.
Around here typical municipal systems are 100psi and some have pressure regs at the entrance to bring it down to 60.

Well pump systems vary. A lot. At least here in Vermont. I’ve seen as little as 20, but 40-45 is probably the most common.
Imho you are probably fine.

This is what we did. Seems to have worked at least for now. We´re back to being able to get 5-6 liters out of the tap without having the pump kick on.
Folks who depend on a city water supply don't realize there's always maintenance involved. Expect to do this from time to time. For me keeping a 25watt lightbulb going in the pump shed during freezing weather is my most important job right now.

Folks who depend on a city water supply don't realize there's always maintenance involved. Expect to do this from time to time. For me keeping a 25watt lightbulb going in the pump shed during freezing weather is my most important job right now.
We were Okay for a while until this week. I noticed the pump starting to cycle more frequently, and finally yesterday it started rapid cycling whenever someone opened a tap. We turned off the pump's circuit breaker, opened the taps and drained off the water in the system with our bike pump. Then we closed all taps and kept pumping with the bike pump until it got up to it's usual 25-30psi range according to the pressure gauge.

Long story short, this didn't work, and now the pressure gauge immediately drops to zero as soon as someone opens a tap, causing the pump to run immediately. Also the pressure gauge is doing something weird. After we close the tap and the pump shuts itself off, the needle on the pressure gauge continues to climb from about 1.5 bars to 2 bars before settling slightly below 2 bars.

I decided to just keep the circuit breaker off last night until I can get a clue as to what's going on. At one point last night I forgot that the circuit breaker was off, and I opened the tap in the bathroom. Barely a trickle came out, and immediately dried up. Today the pressure gauge reads a flat 0 psi. The tank sounds a little hollow...maybe...not too sure about that one.

Back