diy solar

diy solar

What ist your span between buying and selling electrical power?

True but ... what would PG&E be paying per kWh between say 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM if all PV producers reached up and pulled their knife switch at the same time?
I would like us to do that - let PG&E and PUC discover the true value of the power we've been putting into the grid. Then they can pay us accordingly.
Umm they do that every day when the sun goes down say from 4pm until 8pm, you know when the system peak is, all you’d be doing is shifting the peak.

How much PV is there are 9PM?

Attachments

• 8496B079-C2DB-49DD-8BEC-9E0A9EF18320.jpeg
    8496B079-C2DB-49DD-8BEC-9E0A9EF18320.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Exactly.
The curves show "demand" and "net demand" peaking at 8:00 PM, which I don't believe.
In Australia we have an information source OpenNEM which provides the total system demand by including all behind the meter demand. IOW self-consumed solar PV output.

At the moment we have total system demand peaking in the early evening, but that's more typical of Winter than at other times of year when peak total demand tends to be more during the middle of the day.

All home solar is really doing is reducing the buy at 6 cents per kWh from the industrial power plants and substituting with buy at 25+ cents per kWh from the homeowner on net metering. The utility would prefer home solar just went away.

All home solar is really doing is reducing the buy at 6 cents per kWh from the industrial power plants and substituting with buy at 25+ cents per kWh from the homeowner on net metering. The utility would prefer home solar just went away.

Or home solar to have storage such that they can be dispatched when generation is actually needed.

Yes, but what I am suggesting is that if home solar (and commercial rooftop solar) went away, the buy from industrial power plants would exceed $0.06/kWh. In fact, the system might collapse due to insufficient generation or possibly transmission.

Yes, but what I am suggesting is that if home solar (and commercial rooftop solar) went away, the buy from industrial power plants would exceed $0.06/kWh. In fact, the system might collapse due to insufficient generation or possibly transmission.
Never go to 25+ cents so always lower cost. And I am not buying the insufficient argument.

Otherwise each generator could say the same thing as home solar that they want to cut power to force the utility to pay more.

Never go to 25+ cents so always lower cost. And I am not buying the insufficient argument.
I agree. The latest solar farm contacts are going at $0.05 per kWh and the newest ones are adding batteries to hedge against curtailment and sell into the evening market. The peaker plant market has been hit but battery storage that can be installed and permitted quicker and operate less expensively.

PG&E recently announced they signed a contract for $0.10/kWh for PV.
My surplus at true-up gets paid out at $0.025/kWh because that is the market price.
WTF???

PG&E recently announced they signed a contract for $0.10/kWh for PV.
My surplus at true-up gets paid out at $0.025/kWh because that is the market price.
WTF???
PGE overpaid or possibly that includes the transmission connection or something else.
Surplus is overrated. I generate half my usage for best value and return on investment.

"PPA prices have followed LCOE reductions, falling about 85% since 2010. Most projects in the CAISO (California) grid and the non-ISO West are priced around $20/MWh. Elsewhere in the continental U.S., prices range from $30-$40/MWh."

"While prices have fallen, the value of solar has also eroded over time. This is due in part to wholesale electricity market prices declining overall, largely driven by declining natural gas prices. Solar-specific causes such as location, generation profile, and curtailment have driven this decline as well."

Solar without storage is going to be valued so little. All ISO need dispatchable generation, no sense in having unlimited generation when no one needs it, shift that generation by 4 hour and it pays dividends.

Back