diy solar

diy solar

What makes a marine grade Lifepo4 battery "marine"?

Happy Place

Looking to replace lead acid bank on boat with Lifepo4 bank. What are the main differences between SOK/CHINS and say Relion or Battleborn at 3X the cost?
At a third the cost, I can work around the lack of low temp charging protection. Is the price difference just in the enclosure or is it just the word marine that makes them so expensive?

Try watching some of Wills videos were he tears down LFP batteries. Very illuminating what you get for your money or what you don't get.

Thanks. Yes, I've watched quite a few of Will's videos. He is clearly impressed with the SOK, however, I suspect the steel case will become a pile of rust in a marine environment. On the other hand, if I can protect it from moisture then it could be worth considering at a third of the cost. However, not worth the risk of a catastrophic failure i.e., fire.

So to reframe my original question, am I just paying for a weatherproof enclosure when I buy a "marine" battery. For the size system I'm considering, we're talking about $5K worth of plastic tubs.

Relion and Battleborn are not marine batteries. They are name brand (which makes them cost more) and have a track record of quality (which makes them more) but don't have any real marine features. This article is worth reading, but it is only one persons opinion, although he does have quite a bit of experience:
https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/
TLDR; The only drop-ins he feels are acceptable on a boat are Lithionics or Kilovault. He has some very harsh things to say about Battleborn.

You're right and I can't imagine steel or aluminium cases in a damp bilge lasting long. Whilst I chose a drop in, the cells are plastic cased, so I could dismantle and ditch the case if necessary. The reason we have a liferaft is not because we might sink, but because of the risk of fire whilst offshore.

Whilst Will likes the SOK, so of his comments about others are hilarious and no way would I be buying them. Does social media influence? Wills videos do.

If you are making that sort of investment you only want to do it once, properly and not be worried about it in rough weather at sea. Your bank might last 20 years with care, but you will need good quality items to start with, not some seconds out the back door of a sweat shop in China glued into a sealed box.

Don't know what you are planning, but how about this conversion:

Relion and Battleborn are not marine batteries. They are name brand (which makes them cost more) and have a track record of quality (which makes them more) but don't have any real marine features. This article is worth reading, but it is only one persons opinion, although he does have quite a bit of experience:
https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/
TLDR; The only drop-ins he feels are acceptable on a boat are Lithionics or Kilovault. He has some very harsh things to say about Battleborn.
Thanks. I have been there and read "most" of his site as it is quite long and detailed. Relion does actually a "marine" tab on their website. I assume that it's still the same battery they sell for other uses. There are many boaters out there that love the Relions. At their price, I would hope so.

You're right and I can't imagine steel or aluminium cases in a damp bilge lasting long. Whilst I chose a drop in, the cells are plastic cased, so I could dismantle and ditch the case if necessary. The reason we have a liferaft is not because we might sink, but because of the risk of fire whilst offshore.

Whilst Will likes the SOK, so of his comments about others are hilarious and no way would I be buying them. Does social media influence? Wills videos do.

If you are making that sort of investment you only want to do it once, properly and not be worried about it in rough weather at sea. Your bank might last 20 years with care, but you will need good quality items to start with, not some seconds out the back door of a sweat shop in China glued into a sealed box.

Don't know what you are planning, but how about this conversion:

Totally agree. I want to do this right and will spend what it takes, but no more. Will check out this video. My project entails replacing a failing 800Ah lead acid bank. Am thinking about a 600Ah Lifepo4 bank. The name brand batteries are all about $10+/Ah at 12V. The SOKs et.al. are in the $4/Ah range. Quite tempting, but as you say, I only want to do this once.

I paid £4.6 for Sterling, compared to £12 for Victron in the UK. However, I am only in for £550 investment to learn about LFP.

Back