diy solar

diy solar

What panels are you using on your rv roof??

motomarc

What brands and wattage panels are you using on your RV roofs? Not van roofs.
Trying get idea of best panels under 36 inches wide.
So far rich solar 200w and newpowa 240w. Both under 36 will work but wanted to hear what your using out there. Looking for over 2k on my roof
Thank you ahead of time.

RichSolar was my first choice, then HD had a sale on Nature Power 215's, so got a couple of those for $154 each. I've only seen them on sale once or twice since last year though - at regular price they're over-priced.

PV panel construction is a pretty mature process, all of the brands have shown to be dead reliable and carry good warranties. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Some of the newest ones are coming out of VietNam - seems they're ramping up production in a big way to compete with China. Some frames are a little beefier than others, some have more concentrated cells. I happen to like the black frames, but it would not be a deal breaker.

Best to shop for the size that fits, and what you can get at a good price.

Here's my thread on installing mine - super happy with how it all worked out:

If you have room for high-volt grid type panels there are bargains from SanTan Solar in Gilbert AZ. I think they have an outlet in GA as well. Like 300W panels for $60. I looked at getting some of those but just couldn't make them fit right on my roof.

I put 10 240w panels on my travel trailer. They are used from eBay. So far they are working great.

I use Sunpower 250W panels that are I believe 32 or 34" wide. I have 3kw on my roof. 12 panels.

I put 10 240w panels on my travel trailer. They are used from eBay. So far they are working great.
This summer I had a tree fall on my travel trailer and and enough panels were damaged that I upgraded to 12. 270 watt lg panels for 3240 watts.

My next project will likely be as many biofacial 425-450w panels as I can possibly squeeze onto a 43’ toy hauler

I too have 12x Sunpower 240w panels on my roof, can maybe fit 1 or 2 more if I get creative, but not necessary. They are under 33", which fit nicely between AC unit and edge of roof.

Is this for an RV? Unless you are going to mount the bi-facial well off the roof don't you defeat the advantages of the second surface? Just asking.
Yes on RV, but like my current one, they will be elevated about 1’

Attachments

• A32491AD-79D5-47C9-9BC4-99ADF6FAC969.jpeg
    A32491AD-79D5-47C9-9BC4-99ADF6FAC969.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 22
Yes on RV, but like my current one, they will be elevated about 1’
One thing I see is that I’m pretty sure your panels aren’t going to blow off the roof LOL

Personally- unless the bifacials are <= 10% or so more $$ than standard panels- I wouldn’t bother with bifacials myself. Use what you have and add a few panels to the sidewall on a different string. I would think that will save a ton of money and still gain quite a lot of harvest.

Unless you want bifacials for the fun/hobby aspect of it or the cool factor (which is fine) I wouldn’t be willing to spend the cash. But that’s maybe irrelevant- you can do what you want to. These were just my thoughts reading your post and see the picture.

Yeah, panels not going anywhere! Lol. Wicked storm tested that again last night.

The next project is another rig, starting from scratch, so I have nothing to start with. Because an RV is all about max production per square inch, not having option to “simply add more panels”, the bifacials are very appealing. Will’s review of them was impressive. My solar is not just handy supplemental power, or used as “enough to get by for a few days” type use. It’s making all my power for all things. Plus, lets face it… the grid gonna go down for a minute, and when turned back on, if you aren’t willing to be a slave to the system, you will not be allowed power…or anything else.

This next project carries the lofty goal of running a 40a 240v machine for potentially hours during the day, plus the power for living. So there’s no way I can overdo collection. I haven’t even done math yet to see how close I might be able to come.

What brands and wattage panels are you using on your RV roofs? Not van roofs.
Trying get idea of best panels under 36 inches wide.
So far rich solar 200w and newpowa 240w. Both under 36 will work but wanted to hear what your using out there. Looking for over 2k on my roof
Thank you ahead of time.
Astronergy 5s 550Wp 4pcs.

I pay a good friend to do the TIG welding, as I’m just a hobby guy with MIG, stick, etc. And… I’m a global nomad. No more house, shop, etc so I have to do all this on the road… driveways, parking lots, etc.

Yeah I have tilt frames now, and have thought if I ever get time, I’ll design something with small servos to tilt them. The trick is ensuring they are locked down tight in any position due to winds from either travel or
Stationary.

Back