diy solar

diy solar

What price is fair for used cells?

The screenshot show the cell wire resistance for each cell, the measurments seem all over the place. My jk bms shows my cells wire resisrance very close to each other. I am not sure if this matters, just an observation. Do others with a jk bms have cell wire resistance measurment close to each other?
Mine are all 0.051 to 0.052, so yes they can be super close.

A guy near me is selling 16 x Lishen 272Ah cells for around $83 each. These Lishens normally capacity test at around 280Ah, so comparable to Eve LF280k, but I think rated for only 3,500 cycles but 1C discharge. Eve is 6,000 cycles at 0.5C discharge I think.

They’ve been in use (so he tells me) since winter 21/22, so just over one year of real use. I’ve seen these cells for $100 each plus shipping direct from China recently, but these “new“ cells are likely exactly the same “made in 2020” Lishen batch which these used cells come from. Certainly when I recently bought 4 Lishen 272S from a “reliable“ seller (Qishou) they arrived with 2020 date codes on the QR sticker.

So it comes down to what’s a fair discount from new price for cells used for 15-18 months? If he bought them in 2021 he certainly paid more than current prices, maybe 25-30% more, so I understand he likely thinks the price he’s offering is great.

The cells have had a JK BMS with max voltage 3.4V/cell on them so should not have ever seen an overcharge and in a 16S config it’s unlikely they’ve been discharged at high currents, so I’m tempted, even though strictly speaking I don’t need more cells. But can you ever have too much battery in offgrid? ?
I paid 109USD each for Lishen 272Ah cells including shipping in early 2021

I paid 109USD each for Lishen 272Ah cells including shipping in early 2021
good info, thanks. Sounds like you caught the end of the pandemic demand dip. I think it was later in 2021 and then also last year when the prices went higher. I bought my first batch in 2020 and paid $94/cell plus shipping ($110/cell incl shipping to EU via train), so same as you.

$75-80 for decent grade B is fair I would say.
That’s not far off his current asking price, so perhaps there’s a deal to be done. He’s offering a ”packet price“ of $1,450 (in local currency) for 16 cells plus a 24S 200A JK BMS which I don’t need. So it depends how much value ascribe to the BMS, ie. what I might be able to sell it for second hand. I’m assuming maybe $120, hence $83 per cell asking price.

I’m going to see him this afternoon, so will see what I can discover about the history of these cells.

Update, I visited the guy yesterday and he seems very genuine and open. He told me things he didn’t have to about the history of the cells, so I trust his info. His reason for selling is certainly verified, as the huge Skoda EV pack was laying on the floor of his workshop and another BMW one was in another corner.

They‘re Nov/Dec 2019 production batch according to the QR codes. Older than I would have liked, but he doesn’t seem the type who may have damaged the cells thru lack of knowledge of how to use them. No compression mount in use, which is a shame, but the cells didn’t look swollen at all.

Anyhow, I made him an offer on 8 cells, which I think he’s tempted to accept, just that he really wants to sell all 16 as a pack and not be left with 8 to sell. So we left it that he will wait a while to see if anyone else is interested and my offer stays on the table. I’m fine with that, he’s close to me so easy to pop back there and it’s not like I really need those cells.

I might think about offering him a lower per cell price for me to take all 16, then I have to somehow sell the excess 8. I don’t want to do that, but it might get the deal closed. Have to think about that one for a while, as the price trend on new cells is downwards atm and I don’t want to be left holding 4 year old cells no one wants to buy ?

Well i made him and offer, but it didn’t even get considered because he messaged back directly saying he’d just taken a deposit from a guy who was on his way to collect them. I’m happy for him, it’s the best outcome and it’s only my dithering and indecision which cost me, but that‘s ok. The way LiFePO4 prices seem to be heading, I reckon it’ll just be a few more years when brand new cells are available for what I was offering, and by then maybe I’ll definitely need them.

Not really. The cell prices has gone up steadily the last 3 years...so seeing a halving is unrealistic IMO.

Not really. The cell prices has gone up steadily the last 3 years...so seeing a halving is unrealistic IMO.
You have a different view of the market than me. For sure prices rose after the pandemic dip of 2020 / early 2021, but that was a blip in the trend due to the suppressed demand at that time. The long term trend is falling prices, it has to be if EVs will take over in the way th chart below predicts.

I‘ve been seeing new 280Ah cells offered at $100-$105 this year, which means we are almost back down to 2020 levels without the exceptional circumstances that caused the price drop back then. That‘s why I’m expecting in a few years the current prices will look overblown by comparison.

But predicting the future is not an easy thing to do, so maybe I’m way off!
AA05BC6D-C2B1-4121-8C31-77ABB68F0F2F.png

I just checked the whole market in the last 2 months and bought 32 cells EVE 280Ks.
The cheapest I could get cells was 133 Euros per.
Checked EU, USA and China.
I still maintain this is the market price atm. and its high.

Wishing for lower prices will get you nothing, looking back at the last 3 years where the prices has risen ^^ :)

I just checked the whole market in the last 2 months and bought 32 cells EVE 280Ks.
The cheapest I could get cells was 133 Euros per.
Checked EU, USA and China.
I still maintain this is the market price atm. and its high.

Wishing for lower prices will get you nothing, looking back at the last 3 years where the prices has risen ^^ :)
i just ordered 16 lf304 for 2010 usd, that is including ddp shipping to the EU

Still not sure why everyone seems so hung up on these lf280 cells

i just ordered 16 lf304 for 2010 usd, that is including ddp shipping to the EU

Still not sure why everyone seems so hung up on these lf280 cells
For what it's worth I kept an eye on a on line 'lopis' and bought 4 Lishen 200Ah cells for €25,- a piece.
Previous owner did a bad or no top balance job I guess.
They are behaving nice.

... it has to be if EVs will take over in the way th chart below predicts.
LOL... don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail !! It's 2023 now, last time I checked, and I don't see any new EV Golfs for sale at €24,000 or indeed any (whatever that is in blue - a Corsa maybe?) for €17,000. Not in the UKk... Maybe in Sweden they are cheaper ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL... don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail !! It's 2023 now, last time I checked, and I don't see any new EV Golfs for sale at €24,000 or indeed any (whatever that is in blue - a Corsa maybe?) for €17,000. Not in the UKk... Maybe in Sweden they are cheaper ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If the daily mail reported that the sun was likely to rise the next day I would as a matter of principle not believe them, so I share your view of their “journalism“, however in this case they are simply reporting a Bloomberg research report from 2021, which predicts a price trend for lithium batteries summarised in below screenshot.

I would expect that like all attempts to predict the future, it will have limitations, but see no reason to assume the underlying factors they’re basing their report on won’t eventually take effect.

CC612445-6D27-4C31-AC6E-9C2446A2D0CF.png

I didn’t get them in the end. By the time I’d gone back to him with an offer on all 16, he’d just taken a deposit from someone who was coming later that day to pick them up. That’s fine with me actually, I hope they went to someone who will make good use of them as I was likely going to have to sell on 8 of them if I’d bought them.

Back