What should you pay for a Solar Installation?

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Staff member
The cost of a professionally installed PV system varies by location and by the amount of PV installed. With these numbers you might be able to better negotiate a price for your roof. Pricing is always changing over time and these tables were from 2018, so your mileage may vary.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Other Links

Last edited:

svetz

Staff member
So did you DYI or Buy? How was your $/watt? This information can help others as they set sail on the solar tides!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 747
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:

svetz

Staff member
Member$/watt b4 RebatePV Size kWBattery Size kwh/$/kWhLocationInverterPanelsDIY or Buy?System Age
@Will Prowse GT/EV$3.034,500?Las Vegas, NMSolarEdgeBuy10/19
@Thor$2.618,7600Venice FloridaSolarEdge 7600 HDMission Solar 365WBuy10/19
@ebertoli$2.9411,7250Austin, TXSolarEdge HD Wave SE10000H-USLG335N1C-V5Buy10/19
@svetz GT$3.407,82013.3/$958Key Largo, FLEnphase IQ7+LG 340 NeonBuy1/20
@sillyfreak$2.6710,5000Central TXSolarEdge 10000H-USPanasonic HIT 335WBUY11/19
Bivitar$2.4511,700Pensacola, FLEnphase IQ7+300w Trina Allmax plusBUY9/18
jasonhc73$2.716200Wichita, KSSolarEdge 5000HD20xMission Solar 310WBuy9/19
jasonhc73$1.253360~42 / $87.86Wichita, KSDual MPP Solar LV504812x280w 72 unbranded 20xMission Solar 310WDIY12/19

Email me your numbers and I'll update the table!

Last edited:

svetz

Staff member
I don't actually have my system yet; should get the panels and microinverters before the end of the year, batteries in Feb.
Love the deal you guys struck! I'll update my system info as I go.

ebertoli

Hogging the sun!
I don't actually have my system yet; should get the panels and microinverters before the end of the year, batteries in Feb.
Love the deal you guys struck! I'll update my system info as I go.

I just got quotes from a couple of folks with the best reps that contacted me based on interest I expressed through the Solar Reviews site. The two I settled on deciding between were very close in price - I did no dealing at all - that was the cost offered by both out of the starting gate. Both gave me a lot of useful information too. It took 2 months from the time I decided to get estimates to having the system up and running. I had a time crunch driving the process for me because the Austin rebate was going to be lowered at the end of August. Having to deal with the city slowed the process a bit and I'd guess a rush of folks getting in on the deal before it was reduced also had the companies working overtime. The guys doing my install were here for 6 hours, left at 5:30 and were headed to do another install after ours and after having done 2 before ours in the same day!!

I'm excited to see how the system plays out after a few months of data. I also want to try to do a rogue battery back-up system on a part of our property that is on it's own circuit with its own panel after we see what we'll be generating with the grid tied system. I have a lot to learn before that's a reality though.

Is the price of the battery figured in to the price per watt for your system? What kind of battery are you getting and where from? That seems like a good deal to me.

svetz

Staff member
Is the price of the battery figured in to the price per watt for your system? What kind of battery are you getting and where from? That seems like a good deal to me.
Multiple quotes is smart. I did that too and pitted the vendors against each other to beat them down to a high price. But, I am in the average for my area; the problem they say is I'm a ways from civilization.

It's the new Enphase IQ8 AC battery. They're not actually out yet and already have a wait list. The $/W is just the solar cost so no where near the deal you guys got.

Hoping to see some of the DIY systems, bet they're coming in under $2/W.

Last edited:

svetz

Staff member
I am getting a (30) Panasonic HIT 335W panel = 10,050 watt system installed with SolarEdge 10000H-US inverter on my home in Central Texas at a cost of $2.67/W (before federal credit)
Great price! I updated the table above with your numbers, thank you for sharing!

dougbert

Solar Enthusiast
In 2000 I designed and installed my own system. Parts cost was $14,000 which included 1400 watts of panels @4.50 per watt, batteries @$2600 830a-hr. Total was: $10/w for the parts

This past week I found out a friend had contracted an installation in southern Utah for $22,000 for a 4.6kw panel array, Grid-tied. I told her, you should have talked to me first. That put her are $4.78/w - geez

dougbert

Bivitar

I had a 11.7 kWh DC system installed in Aug 2018 near Pensacola FL. 39 x 300w Trina Allmax plus mono panels with the Enphase IQ7+ micro inverters for $28,665 ($20,065 after tax credit). That's the fully installed cash price (includes permits, fees, etc). It would have been more with financing. $2.45/W before tax credit, $1.715/W after tax credit.

First 12 months production (Sep 2018-Aug 2019) was 17,330 kWh. Almost all panels are facing SSW

Member$/watt b4 RebatePV Size kWBattery Size kwh/$/kWhLocationInverterPanelsDIY or Buy?System Age
@Will Prowse GT/EV$3.034,500?Las Vegas, NMSolarEdgeBuy10/19
@Thor$2.618,7600Venice FloridaSolarEdge 7600 HDMission Solar 365WBuy10/19
@ebertoli$2.9411,7250Austin, TXSolarEdge HD Wave SE10000H-USLG335N1C-V5Buy10/19
@svetz GT$3.407,82013.3/$958Key Largo, FLEnphase IQ7?LG or PanasonicBuyPlanning
@sillyfreak$2.6710,5000Central TXSolarEdge 10000H-USPanasonic HIT 335WBUYPlanning
Bivitar$2.4511.7Pensacola, FLEnphase IQ7+300w Trina Allmax plusBUY9/18

What is this? I was told Will Prowse doesn't do installations, does he?

sillyfreak

svetz, you can update your chart to change me from "Planning" to "11/19" for my system age. Did you get your system installed yet?

You can view my production levels by accessing my SolarEdge public site below. I plan to hold a party on the winter solstice to celebrate!

Approaching 800 kW-hr total production in a little over a month... Really happy with my HESolar installation.

svetz

Staff member
...can update your chart to change me from "Planning" to "11/19" for my system age. Did you get your system installed yet?
Done! No, not yet. My contractor is trying my patience. Install is now set for early next year, so much their assurances it would happen in November and I wouldn't have any issues getting the 30% discount.

Why are you only getting 35 kWh/d with 10.5 kW of panels? Lot's of overcast days or is the solstice really taking that big of a bite?

Last edited:

sillyfreak

Done! No, not yet. My contractor is trying my patience. Install is now set for early next year, so much their assurances it would happen in November and I wouldn't have any issues getting the 30% discount.
Hah, hang in there... 26% (although not as good as 30%) is better than 0%...