diy solar

diy solar

What size pump for 325w solar panel

WTSNAP

I have a 325w Polycrystalline solar panel
I want to use it to pump my pool water to a DIY pool heater the material on the pool heater is 100ft black poly utility pipe coiled on a 4x4 plywoood all painted black.
I can get 89deg F water temp when attached to a 120v submirsible pump on a sunny day.
I would like to switch this pump to one the solar panel can run continously when possible.
I would like to know what type and size solar pump (not too costly) I can use and other components that might be required for the system.

1654957264077.png

Thank you in advanec

The panel wil not power next to anything without a microinverter or a solar controller/ battery bank/ inverter.

There are 2 ways to accomplish what you asked.
1) 120V pump would be the high cost method. Would require a solar charge controller to regulate the panel output and charge the battery, battery, large inverter to handle the inrush to start a standard pump with an AC induction motor.

2) 12 or 24V DC solar water heating circulation pump. Would still require a suitable solar charge controller to regulate panel output and charge the battery or batteries depending on voltage chosen. Pump would run directly from the battery, no inverter needed.

In both cases you would also need some kind of controller to operate the pump based on Time/Temperature considerations. Lastly, a single panel will probably not give you satisfactory run time. I'm guessing at least 2 panels, keep in mind the 325 Watt rating is STC, under normal conditions its usual to see only 80 to 90% of rated STC during peak sun around noon. All other times its less.

I was thinking for using a timer and 70ah deep cycle agm battery on my livewell this prolong the life of the battey during use .The timer would cycle on and off every 7 minnutes
On a fishing day I have it runnng for 10hr straight. I was thingking two of these batteries and alternate each day for 6- 8 hrs.
One day dedicated to charging one battery while the other is in use. I guess the question is how long does it take to charge 12vdc battery in one sunny day whit this size panel

I guess the question is how long does it take to charge 12vdc battery in one sunny day whit this size panel
The proper question #1 is: What is the electrical requirement in Watts for a suitable pump that is capable of providing the flow rate and lift needed for the task of pumping water through the coiled tubing on plywood.
Q2) How many continuous hours per day will it operate taking into account cycling it on and off. This will give you the number of Watt hours needed.
Using this information then the battery size, number of panels and charge controller are chosen.

I want to use it to pump my pool water to a DIY pool heater the material on the pool heater is 100ft black poly utility pipe coiled on a 4x4 plywoood all painted black.
I can get 89deg F water temp when attached to a 120v submirsible pump on a sunny day.

What GPM are you currently getting with your 120v pump? What size of pump is it? What diameter is the pipe?

Sorry do not have that information anymore as the pump was a hand me down and on its last legs. I think it was 1/6hp the tube 34 dia coiled was not geting alot of flow maybe due to the resistance of the coiled tube and old pump.
This was a bench test set up last summer determining best setup before making final build

I'm going to try a manifold setup instead of coil using cpvc . I think it will lessen the head pressure and help out the 12vdc bilge pump with the flow.
This video might be the better way to go

Back