diy solar

diy solar

What size system?

All right. That was fun. Thanks for being patient with me. Now I’ll start researching panels and AIO. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Rich solar panels or
Windynation panels
US MPP Solar for AIO
These are what you recommend
Have another? Since the AIO is also the controller. In the winter when I’m not up there for maybe 3 months and I turn the AIO off. What would I need to unhook so the battery won’t overcharge.

Have another? Since the AIO is also the controller. In the winter when I’m not up there for maybe 3 months and I turn the AIO off. What would I need to unhook so the battery won’t overcharge.
If lithium batteries unplug solar panels and leave batteries at 80% charged.
With lead acid I’d want to charge them. I believe you can turn the inverter and leave SCC running so they stay topped up.

If lithium batteries unplug solar panels and leave batteries at 80% charged.
With lead acid I’d want to charge them. I believe you can turn the inverter and leave SCC running so they stay topped up.
Would it be best to just bring battery off the mountain and store in my garage with a battery tender to keep charged. Gets extremely cold up there as well probably not good on batteries.

Would it be best to just bring battery off the mountain and store in my garage with a battery tender to keep charged. Gets extremely cold up there as well probably not good on batteries.
If lead acid they’ll be fine maintained by solar daily. Mine are outside and fine below freezing albeit ‘slow’ for bigger loads with more sag in winter.
If lithium they store well at 80% and should never be charged below freezing. They won’t care either.

we have > 10 hours strong sunshine even in Winter in Marbella, Spain but if there occures a cloudy day the panels produce practically NOTHING

Solar is not for everywhere!

If lead acid they’ll be fine maintained by solar daily. Mine are outside and fine below freezing albeit ‘slow’ for bigger loads with more sag in winter.
If lithium they store well at 80% and should never be charged below freezing. They won’t care either.
With an AIO inverter that is rated @ 1000 or 1500 watts and my generator is 3500 watts. My question is when generator is running and AIO is in bypass mode am I limited to the wattage the AIO is rated for or am I able to get all the wattage the generator is rated for.?

With an AIO inverter that is rated @ 1000 or 1500 watts and my generator is 3500 watts. My question is when generator is running and AIO is in bypass mode am I limited to the wattage the AIO is rated for or am I able to get all the wattage the generator is rated for.?
If the AC is listed in the manual as "Pass Through" then you'll be limited by the size of the inverter. Some units will do a "Bypass" mode that should allow the generator/source to be the limiting factor. One or the other should be listed in the manual.

My generator is gas. I would only use it probably in the fall. Especially that week of thanksgiving. I’m just try to figure out how to hook everything together without un hooking from the 30 amp outlet each time I switch back and forth from solar to the gas generator. If the gas generator is needed. I just need one of you guys come to West Virginia and help me set this thing up. Lol.
I use a Genetry 6000 watt inverter, which has a built in pass through feature. i combined that with a 3500 watt inverter generator from Harbor Freight and it automatically switches over. When it's cloudy for too long, I have to start the generator, but I usually just let it run out of gas and it will switch back to batteries. also, the Genetry has a small charger built in so it bumps the batteries also.

Back