diy solar

diy solar

What size system?

Whew! Yes, you can do that. Basically you can think of your system as a really big "Solar Generator" and plug it in like you would a "Gas Generator. Just not both at the same time please!
My generator is gas. I would only use it probably in the fall. Especially that week of thanksgiving. I’m just try to figure out how to hook everything together without un hooking from the 30 amp outlet each time I switch back and forth from solar to the gas generator. If the gas generator is needed. I just need one of you guys come to West Virginia and help me set this thing up. Lol.

My generator is gas. I would only use it probably in the fall. Especially that week of thanksgiving. I’m just try to figure out how to hook everything together without un hooking from the 30 amp outlet each time I switch back and forth from solar to the gas generator. If the gas generator is needed. I just need one of you guys come to West Virginia and help me set this thing up. Lol.
Be glad to.
If the generator isn’t ridiculously dirty output you plug the generator into porch inlet plug, wire that to the AIO 120VAC input, and the AIO output feeds the breaker box. It will automatically charge or supply pass-through power according to the parameters you set in the AIO

The AIO has a built in automatic charger. The AIO will use just batteries/solar, or provide 120VAC power “passing through” from an AC input (your generator in this case) when required and/or charge batteries according to the settings you can modify as you wish.

See why I thought that was stupid simple:)
So very appealing to me.

Be glad to.
If the generator isn’t ridiculously dirty output you plug the generator into porch inlet plug, wire that to the AIO 120VAC input, and the AIO output feeds the breaker box. It will automatically charge or supply pass-through power according to the parameters you set in the AIO
Ok so what you mean about dirty output. It’s an inverter generator

The AIO has a built in automatic charger. The AIO will use just batteries/solar, or provide 120VAC power “passing through” from an AC input (your generator in this case) when required and/or charge batteries according to the settings you can modify as you wish.

See why I thought that was stupid simple:)
So very appealing to me.
Ok. So starting to get a little Confused.

Ok. So starting to get a little Confused.
So I was watching a video with William Prowse. He was wiring up a all in one inverter. So the batteries and the panel hook up I understand. However he took a extension cord and cut it in half and wired the female end to the outlet AC.to run appliances And the male end to the input AC to hook to an outlet for grid power. So this is where I came up with the thought of hooking my generator to the input as potential grid power if needed and then making a cord to go to from the output side to my
30 amp outlet plug which then would feed the breaker box. This way I would keep the 30 amp plug in case I needed the generator power just like it’s set up now.

This way I would keep the 30 amp plug in case I needed the generator power just like it’s set up now.
Will’s video is a slightly different application.
In your case you have the generator plug-in. Currently it goes to the breaker box.

If you add the solar / AIO unit, you would change the generator plug to feed to the AIO 120VAC input connection. Then the AIO 120VAC output gets wired to your RV breaker box.

The AIO will output 120VAC to the breaker box using solar/battery power for you to utilize whatever outlets and lights you have installed. It will ALSO take the generator power to supply 120VAC to the breaker box while recharging the battery/batteries (if needed) at the same time.

Most importantly it performs the ‘transfer switch’ function of switching between generator and solar/battery power automatically without plugging and unplugging anything. The Will Prowse extension cord method will work but it’s not a requirement to do it that way- plus in your case it’s simple and preferred to wire it in a standard fashion to work “just like at home.”

That is why it’s call an All In One, because it puts four components all inside one simple box.

Did I do better? :)

Will’s video is a slightly different application.
In your case you have the generator plug-in. Currently it goes to the breaker box.

If you add the solar / AIO unit, you would change the generator plug to feed to the AIO 120VAC input connection. Then the AIO 120VAC output gets wired to your RV breaker box.

The AIO will output 120VAC to the breaker box using solar/battery power for you to utilize whatever outlets and lights you have installed. It will ALSO take the generator power to supply 120VAC to the breaker box while recharging the battery/batteries (if needed) at the same time.

Most importantly it performs the ‘transfer switch’ function of switching between generator and solar/battery power automatically without plugging and unplugging anything. The Will Prowse extension cord method will work but it’s not a requirement to do it that way- plus in your case it’s simple and preferred to wire it in a standard fashion to work “just like at home.”

That is why it’s call an All In One, because it puts four components all inside one simple box.

Did I

Ok But isn’t that what I’m actually doing. I’m running generator to AIO on the input side. Then going from output side to to breaker box. But instead of going directly to the box I’m going to the 30 amp plug which feeds the breaker box. I’m sorry for making this difficult. Lol. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the 30 amp plug that’s on the porch basically just an extension cord per se to the breaker box. I just can’t wrap my head around why I have to go directly to the breaker box from the AIO. Again I apologize I’m not trying to argue with you just trying to understand. If I go directly to the breaker box I have to drill holes down through my floor and I would like to avoid that if possible. Just trying to figure out why I cannot utilize the plug-in on the porch.

just can’t wrap my head around why I have to go directly to the breaker box from the AIO.
Plugging into the 30A input will work.
But it’s cleaner to wire it nicely, no plugging and unplugging or loose cords.

Do whatever works for you. I just would want the cleaner, less readily damaged home run installation without the 30A plugin on the permanent power side.

There may be a ‘code’ concern: there is an NFPA/NEC reference prohibiting use of extension cords with language something like, “use of a temporary means of power as a permanent means of power is a violation of NFPA xxxxx.xx”.
When I was a facility manager and rental manager “occupants” (and residential tenants) would have multi-tap devices and other extension cords running various things- even air conditioners- and I’d get the violation notices after state inspectors went through annually. Along with a deadline to file a “remedial plan” for re-inspection.
I’m not unsupportive. A couple years ago a family lost kids, pets, and a grandfather from an event where a 12ga cord running an 8000btu air conditioner ignited carpeting and the avoidable tragedy struck.

Plugging into the 30A input will work.
But it’s cleaner to wire it nicely, no plugging and unplugging or loose cords.

Do whatever works for you. I just would want the cleaner, less readily damaged home run installation without the 30A plugin on the permanent power side.

There may be a ‘code’ concern: there is an NFPA/NEC reference prohibiting use of extension cords with language something like, “use of a temporary means of power as a permanent means of power is a violation of NFPA xxxxx.xx”.
When I was a facility manager and rental manager “occupants” (and residential tenants) would have multi-tap devices and other extension cords running various things- even air conditioners- and I’d get the violation notices after state inspectors went through annually. Along with a deadline to file a “remedial plan” for re-inspection.
I’m not unsupportive. A couple years ago a family lost kids, pets, and a grandfather from an event where a 12ga cord running an 8000btu air conditioner ignited carpeting and the avoidable tragedy struck.
Ok I appreciate the concern. Not really worried about any inspections done this is off the grid cabin 3 miles in the middle of nowhere behind three lock gates. Lol
So if I would go from the AIO directly to the breaker box like you said and skip the 30 amp plug then when I would need generator power It goes through the AIO and feeds the breaker panel. This way utilizing the AIO as a charger for the batteries as well. Correct?

Ok I appreciate the concern. Not really worried about any inspections done this is off the grid cabin 3 miles in the middle of nowhere behind three lock gates. Lol
So if I would go from the AIO directly to the breaker box like you said and skip the 30 amp plug then when I would need generator power It goes through the AIO and feeds the breaker panel. This way utilizing the AIO as a charger for the batteries as well. Correct?
Yes

Since the generator is outside and you have the 30A plugin already there is why I suggested using it to feed the aio.

With the solar it’s likely to not need the generator until thanksgiving fooseball - and then it’s simply a matter of plugging in like you already do and everything just works.

Plus, there’s no extra cords running around

Yes

Since the generator is outside and you have the 30A plugin already there is why I suggested using it to feed the aio.

With the solar it’s likely to not need the generator until thanksgiving fooseball - and then it’s simply a matter of plugging in like you already do and everything just works.

Plus, there’s no extra cords running around
Ok. Now I am throughly confused
I thought you said best to bypass the 30 amp plug. Wire AIO output directly to
Breaker panel. If I do that wouldn’t I have to unhook the 30 amp plug from the panel box. If I do that and use generator in the winter I would have to reconnect the 30
Amp plug back to panel.

I cannot have the plug and output AIO both coming in to breaker panel at the same time can I? Unfortunately I know very little about electricity. That’s why this so dang difficult for me.

I cannot have the plug and output AIO both coming in to breaker panel at the same time can I?
NO! Never.
thought you said best to bypass the 30 amp plug. Wire AIO output directly to
Breaker panel. If I do that wouldn’t I have to unhook the 30 amp plug from the panel box. If I do that and use generator in the winter I would have to reconnect the 30
Amp plug back to panel.
Not exactly

The 30A plug-in on porch goes to AIO. AIO outputs 120VAC to the breaker box.

The AIO either provides 120VAC from solar/batteries OR automatically passes trough generator power. You simply have to plug in generator like you always have, AIO automatically switches between batteries or generator and 120VAC is still available without unwiring, unplugging, or undoing anything.

Attachments

• 8CF63A67-051C-419F-83C0-8185611A266D.jpeg
    8CF63A67-051C-419F-83C0-8185611A266D.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 9E3DE487-969A-4A61-B558-92D71926F34B.jpeg
    9E3DE487-969A-4A61-B558-92D71926F34B.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 7
NO! Never.

Not exactly

The 30A plug-in on porch goes to AIO. AIO outputs 120VAC to the breaker box.

The AIO either provides 120VAC from solar/batteries OR automatically passes trough generator power. You simply have to plug in generator like you always have, AIO automatically switches between batteries or generator and 120VAC is still available without unwiring, unplugging, or undoing anything.
Whew. It’s all finally sinking in. Lol. Thanks for the pics makes things easier to understand. So my wire from the 30 amp
Plug is a pretty big wire something like a Romex cable. Im sure it’s big enough. That would be unhooked from panel and inserted into the AIO on the input side for generator. So I would just need a 10 gauge wire from output AIO to breaker?
So like the video by Will those input and output wires from the AIO are hardwired in. correct.

So I would just need a 10 gauge wire from output AIO to breaker?
Yes!
I’m glad the drawings helped.
I’m sortof a ’visualizer’ so I hear a description and see it in my head and instantly reverse engineer what I see in my mind. I forget sometimes that most people grasp things more quickly when they see a “picture” versus a description.

10ga is good for 30A. 10-2 romex will be fine there. Although I oversize stuff so there’s a chance I might be foolish and use 8ga. But 10ga is 30A rated.
So like the video by Will those input and output wires from the AIO are hardwired in. correct.
Yes, they would be hardwired and not need to be messed with again.

Last edited:
Yes!
I’m glad the drawings helped.
I’m sortof a ’visualizer’ so I hear a description and see it in my head and instantly reverse engineer what I see in my mind. I forget sometimes that most people grasp things more quickly when they see a “picture” versus a description.

10ga is good for 30A. 10-2 romex will be fine there. Although I oversize stuff so there’s a chance I might be foolish and use 8ga. But 10ga is 30A rated.

Yes, they would be hardwired and not need to be messed with again.
All right. That was fun. Thanks for being patient with me. Now I’ll start researching panels and AIO. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Rich solar panels or
Windynation panels
US MPP Solar for AIO
These are what you recommend

These are what you recommend
Those are what are not likely to burn you at commodity pricing.

On the panels- find the recent thread where 200-350W panel prices were listed. You might decide to consider those as their price per watt is half that of 100W commodity panels. So a 250W panel for like $125 each

Having said that I think I have 6 or 7 windyNation 100W panels (I scaled in) and four or five Rich Solar 100W panels.

Back