diy solar

diy solar

What software do most people use to monitor their system?

I use victron equipment with bluetooth. It also has an internet option.

i would be interested in seeing a monitoring device that would be able to constantly send something over the web and do recording. I’m sure it’s out there, but have not found something like that.

I think to do what I’m asking to interface with not just Victron but a JDB BMS and Samlex Inverter, I’d need to hack the source code and write some sort of program myself.

victronconnect for victron devices
xiaoxiangbms on ios for JBD BMS

both use bluetooth to connect, range is ok, like 10-30 feet depending on obstacles.

been contemplating arduino DIY software/hardware to collect data over wire from victron and jbd bms, then present access over LAN via wifi or ethernet.

then run something like raspberry pi to collect the data continuously and log to SD card or ssd or hard drive.

have considered like influxDB to store the history to view.

solar assistant seems to work for a number of people, but it is too difficult for me to get into, so custom code is my ideal route. have not made much progress yet.

I use victron equipment with bluetooth. It also has an internet option.

i would be interested in seeing a monitoring device that would be able to constantly send something over the web and do recording. I’m sure it’s out there, but have not found something like that.

I think to do what I’m asking to interface with not just Victron but a JDB BMS and Samlex Inverter, I’d need to hack the source code and write some sort of program myself.
Venus OS/Victron has built-in MQTT publisher and see this thread for JDB BMS to also get MQTT topics from there.

I use Grafana open-source graphing software to generate graphs and a MySQL database for data storage.

It's not a very beginner-friendly setup and requires coding knowledge, but is pretty powerful/configurable to make it do what you want.

I created a containerized docker version of BMS Tools / NodeJBD for ease of use. Working great for integration with my Home Assistant:

I have SMA Sunny Island and Sunny Boy battery and PV inverters.

Primarily I glance at the LEDs and LCD displays occasionally.
History is logged and downloadable to SD card for post-mortem.
I have used Sunny Boy Control for parameter viewing and changing.

I now keep a Sunny Web Box connected by RS-485 (never connected to internet because not secure.) That also logs to SD card and allows parameter viewing and changing with browser.

Latest SMA monitoring product is Data Manager, which supports internet connectivity, but I don't have that. It would allow viewing data on an SMA hosted website, also I think participation in spot markets for power production.

List of software I use
https://github.com/jblance/mpp-solar
can send to home assistant domoticz and other

https://github.com/TaiyoMatsumoto/VoltronicAxpertSolarMonitorBMS
Grafana dashbord

Homebrew for now on minimal arduino hardware, serving a web page and callbacks for data.
Local only.
2 second updates across a dozen data points.
No historic (yet).

Attachments

• Solis Dashboard.jpg
    Solis Dashboard.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Solis comms hardware test.jpeg
    Solis comms hardware test.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 27
Back