diy solar

diy solar

What solar panels do you recommend for a 4000w 24v system?

I have 220 Ah LFP, 24V. Slightly less than 1kW (nominal) of panels, batteries very happy even in winter. 38° latitude.
So let's say, for 400Ah, with 2Kw you should be OK. Depending on your latitude and general weather, obviously.

Here in Spain they have "24V" monocrystalline panels, 72 cells, around 400-450W , and about €160, at just about every big (hardware) department store. Things like Home Depot...
I bought two, and am very happy with them.
-

These days panels are pretty much a commodity item, they're all pretty good, the better newer ones are more efficient and give more power for the same space, but that doesn't matter in most cases. My recommendation is to go to Santan Solar and look at what they have, I've bought a lot of panels from them and been very happy. My last purchase was 24 of the REC Solar 370 watt panels, they're newer models and very nice, but not as cheap as the used panels they have which also work fine.

Your battery seems awfully small for that much solar, I have several arrays around that size and each is feeding 800 or so amp hours of batteries and working fine.

One of the things you left out of this discussion is the charge controller, which you will have to have because you can not connect your panels directly to either the battery or the inverter. Let's assume you want to charge your Li batteries at 1/4th C or 200Ah X 0.25C = 50A.

Automatically, you can see that you don't want to buy a lower budget controller that maxes out at 40A. You need one that handles 50+Amps. Assuming you double your battery capacity in the future, you want something at might go as high as 100A, but let's do the math first.

It's common to include a efficiency correction (I call it fudgefactor, or FF) to compensate for lower than expected output of the panels. I like to use 85%. By the way, the reciprical of 0.85 is 1.175, so I use the two, depending on whether I am multiplying or dividing.

So, if you want to put 50A into your 24V battery, including the fudgefacter, the math is... 50A X 25Vcharging X 1.175FF = 1469W of panels. Call that six 245W grid-tie panels.

Look at getting six grid-tie panels. I would shop for them on Craigslist, or whatever venue is local to you. Don't buy panels on the internet that need shipping. Stick with local pickup for panel purchases. I routinely get 4W/US$ with local pickup.

Now, the controller. Take a look at Epever's Tracer 6420AN. It can handle up to 200V. Those are ~360US$ right now. That will handle your needs for NOW. If you want to plan ahead for the future, then buy the Tracer 8420AN or Tracer 10420AN instead. They are pricier though at 460US$ and 560US$ respectively. But, cheaper in the long run if you want to expand later. If you bought four 30V grid-tie panels, you could wire them in one series string, and feed 120VDC into the Tracer. You spend less money on thinner copper wire when you up the voltage.

BTW, I consider the Giandel a lower end inverter. I would suggest shopping some for the higher quality brands like Magnum, Outback, and Schneider.

I consider the Giandel a lower end inverter
This is probably true. But for reliability and for the money they’re probably one of the best in class for that shelf.
(I don’t like saying ‘price point’ because colloquial use of the term has spoiled its value and obfuscated its meaning)

Another inexpensive option I’d heard was good but didn’t experience until recently is Reliable/QZRELB - I have a 2000W that is only 11W at idle but seems to effortlessly put out the power. I tested it with a number of things (1200W heater and my shopvac) and the only thing that accomplished was rapidly discharging my batteries :)

However, the better brands are probably more reliable on average and long-term.

BTW, I consider the Giandel a lower end inverter. I would suggest shopping some for the higher quality brands like Magnum, Outback, and Schneider.

I don't really have the experience to judge one way or another. I just saw that Will Prowse recommended it and followed his advice. I will research other options.

Thank you.

Back