diy solar

diy solar

What to do with existing battery cable when relocating batteries during install

Seaninnj

I'm in the planning phase of a solar lithium install in our Jayco 30A travel trailer. At this time, it looks that the best location for the inverter/charger and batteries is very close to the power center. The plan is to pull out the 12 volt lead acid battery on the tongue and remove the existing battery cable as the rig will be powered by the lithium battery bank & inverter charger.

The question I have is whether the trailer brake will be impacted by the above or will it work as expected? Thanks in advance!

I don't know YOUR trailer, so I can only tell how things work on MY trailer.

There is a distribution box aft of the tongue. Follow the 7-pin cable and it should lead you right to it. The power circuit from the tow vehicle (in the 7-pin cable) should be exposed within the box. There should be cables leading off from that that go to the battery and into the trailer. Only the cable to the battery should be disconnected.

If it was me, I would NOT disconnect that cable. Instead, coil it up and secure it to the trailer frame. You never know if you might need a 12v power source on the outside of the trailer and the old battery cable could come in handy.

You should have a breakaway on the tongue. There should be a steel cable that attaches to your tow vehicle and an electrical wire attached to the trailer battery somehow. You need to make sure that the break away has power from the trailer battery. You can probably use the existing battery cable.

I don't know YOUR trailer, so I can only tell how things work on MY trailer.

There is a distribution box aft of the tongue. Follow the 7-pin cable and it should lead you right to it. The power circuit from the tow vehicle (in the 7-pin cable) should be exposed within the box. There should be cables leading off from that that go to the battery and into the trailer. Only the cable to the battery should be disconnected.

If it was me, I would NOT disconnect that cable. Instead, coil it up and secure it to the trailer frame. You never know if you might need a 12v power source on the outside of the trailer and the old battery cable could come in handy.
Makes sense. I don't have access to our new trailer right now but if memory serves it sounds a lot like what you described. Good tip on not removing it as a contingency. The question I'm focusing on is whether the battery connection to the lithium battery bank will energize the trailer brake when the cutoff is pulled. I guess I'll have to test it when I get the opportunity.

Makes sense. I don't have access to our new trailer right now but if memory serves it sounds a lot like what you described. Good tip on not removing it as a contingency. The question I'm focusing on is whether the battery connection to the lithium battery bank will energize the trailer brake when the cutoff is pulled. I guess I'll have to test it when I get the opportunity.

Yes, the LiFePO4 battery will energize the breakaway system. The distribution box I mentioned is where the breakaway system gets power.

Back