diy solar

diy solar

What Type of Battery for a Weekend Cabin

Rmoore116

Any advice on what kind of battery to use in a weekend cabin? I live in Missouri (winter can get below zero degrees occasionally and summer can get to over 100 degrees). I plan to build a 48v system with a 5kw solar array. The system would likely be used hard on weekends, but almost no use through the week. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I am seriously looking at LiFePO4 batteries. I've also been told AGM might be a good choice as well. I am currently working with Battle Borne batteries on what best to use. They recommend disconnecting during winter when not in use. So far, I'm still leaning towards LiFePO4 Battle Borne.

If the winter lows drop down to zero, what do you think the inside temperatures are going to be like? If you expect it to get cold, then traditional lead-acid might be a better choice for you. You sound like you are designing about what I already have, a 48V Trojan L-16 system with 5500W of panels, most pointed south, but some pointed due West.

In my own case, I simply ignore the winter cold. My array completely charges my system even on rainy days, so the batteries have stayed in pristine, like-new condition.

Im in the process of replacing my my L16 batteries with (4) 280AH LiFePO4. Just the thought of not having to deal with adding water and getting more usable energy out of the batteries is a big plus. Plus they are much smaller.

I’m toying with the idea of wrapping a battery bank with pipe freeze protection cord, and installing a antifreeze thermostat... in a well insulated container, very little heat would be needed to keep it above 0C... the solar could power the inverter, which would ALSO be in the container providing some heat as well... I would have to have provisions to ventilate it for non winter months too...
plus... LiFePO4 doesn’t like sitting unused at 100% state of charge, so I’m thinking having dual charging modes, 60% when in storage mode, and 100% during use...

Im in the process of replacing my my L16 batteries with (4) 280AH LiFePO4. Just the thought of not having to deal with adding water and getting more usable energy out of the batteries is a big plus. Plus they are much smaller.
Where are you getting your LiFePO4's from? Do you use them all winter or unhook them for the winter?

Where are you getting your LiFePO4's from? Do you use them all winter or unhook them for the winter?
My second batch arrived today. I got them from Michael

I will leave them on all winter. Mine run the internet, security, battery monitor and auto generator system when the panels are covered with snow. We use our cabin year round.

My current setup is a Bluetti AC200 that I take with me. I have 600 watts of panels mounted on a high pole. This normally meets my needs. I have a small gasoline generator for when it does not. I am afraid to leave anything valuable in case I have "visitors". Wood stove for heat and a propane water heater. I can run a small microwave and some led lights. Bit of a hassle carrying it in and out. Hardly ever have to use the generator, but when I do I can charge the bluetti while powering the cabin. No air conditioning.....just a fan.

Back