diy solar

diy solar

What Voltage All-In-One Do I Need For Abundant Power Needs?

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the dimensions of most 48V systems and have no idea where it will fit in my ambulance. But if you’re correct, it sounds like I have to find a place for the 48 V. I need a high surge wattage for my gear, my 120 V refrigerator and 120 V mini split AC/heater. How would that work out with four panels and for 200ah batteries?
We seem to have similar problems!

Just happened upon this post - and this is really good for me to think about too as I do audiobook narration on the side and that is what I will be doing FT while in my bus. I never thought about the sound of the inverters/system with my equipment. ?‍?
I only know from experience. Try listening to AM radio under a solar paneled shade structure, and you will get a brief taste of what your in for. I use Ham Radio equipment and inverter "noise" is extremely prevalent in receive and a nightmare in broadcast. In order to overcome this you must utilize input and output cables with very good shielding as well as Ferrite Chokes on all of your power cabling and leads. If possible, make a faraday cage for either your power equipment or your audio equipment (which is often not practical). Ham Radio operators often must combat noise for radio reception and are continually plagued by it because of neighbors, powerlines, street lights Etc. It would probably be beneficial to do some research on Ham Radio Radio Frequency Interference or RFI.

Sorry about that Roark. The highest SEER ratings I have seen is 33 SEER on David Poz's video. The majority of minisplits @12000 BTU are 120V. Just do a google search of "120V 12000 BTU Minisplit" and a ton of manufacturers will come up. Running 240 is complicated so I would not recommend it.
To me, it sounds like you want A Low Frequency inverter to eliminate as much "Noise" during your recording and playbacks through your line conditioners. You want a 120V All in one that can support 48V battery back up. You would want long "off grid" play time so a 20KW 0r 30KW bank will suit you just fine. This gives you long play time.
I have not found one high SEER rated mini-split that is 120V- all the ones I've found are 240V. If there is one out there please let us know!

Another option I haven't seen mentioned here is the 48v GrowWatt 5kw /240v Inverter in combo with a Mid-Point Transformer.
This is the route I'm going with, has the advantage of using all 5kw on either leg.

I have not found one high SEER rated mini-split that is 120V- all the ones I've found are 240V. If there is one out there please let us know!
I am also interested in this (highest SEER 120V unit). Even the little 6000 BTU 33 SEER Mitsubishi unit is not available in 120V best I can tell :(

From what I recall when I was researching high SEER A/C's a while back, all the highest were (A) Between 6k and 12k BTU (B) not available as 120V. The 30+ SEER units I remember looking at were Innovair, Gree, Carrier, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, and I think Toshiba, and most had brands highest SEER models were 9000BTU, anyone know why that would be?

Last edited:
I am also interested in this (highest SEER 120V unit). Even the little 6000 BTU 33 SEER Mitsubishi unit is not available in 120V best I can tell :(

From what I recall when I was researching high SEER A/C's a while back, all the highest were (A) Between 6k and 12k BTU (B) not available as 120V. The 30+ SEER units I remember looking at were Innovair, Gree, Carrier, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, and I think Toshiba, and most had brands highest SEER models were 9000BTU, anyone know why that would be?
"
SEER
On pure AC power when no free solar energy is used, official SEER is >22. SEER is "Seasonal EER" and is a way of describing an "average EER" and considers that the system operates under part-load conditions a majority of the time. Currently, there is no official test standard for testing SEER or EER based on whether or not the energy is paid for. However, if you perform a SEER calculation and include only the paid energy, this calculated SEER can be as high as SEER 75 or above when using solar along with AC backup power."

I have seen 22 - 24 SEER in 120V models. 30+ requires 220V unless you factor the unit mentioned above. Also, it is not that hard to figure a 1 ton (12,000 BTU) running at 120V.

MR Cool 120V 12k 22 SEER

Hopefully this helps.

"
SEER
On pure AC power when no free solar energy is used, official SEER is >22. SEER is "Seasonal EER" and is a way of describing an "average EER" and considers that the system operates under part-load conditions a majority of the time. Currently, there is no official test standard for testing SEER or EER based on whether or not the energy is paid for. However, if you perform a SEER calculation and include only the paid energy, this calculated SEER can be as high as SEER 75 or above when using solar along with AC backup power."

I have seen 22 - 24 SEER in 120V models. 30+ requires 220V unless you factor the unit mentioned above. Also, it is not that hard to figure a 1 ton (12,000 BTU) running at 120V.

MR Cool 120V 12k 22 SEER

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the links, so it looks like for 120V the number to beat is ~22 SEER more or less.

I have seen that Hot Spot ENergy unit before, and I am attracted ot the idea of DC mini-splits. But In my opinion-actually I dont think its an opinion (I think they say "calculated SEER" because they can't legally or technically use SEER in the way they do)--Hot Spot Energy is misrepresenting SEER when they say "75 'calculated SEER'. As I understand it, it is a 22 SEER unit, and they are giving themselves 53 bonus points because the unit can use solar energy. Essentially they are not counting that energy. But any A/C can be run off solar, and an A/C run completely off of solar would not be infinite-SEER just because the energy source is solar. The energy source is external to the A/C, by treating it as free energy they distort the meaning of the term, and the usefulness of it as a comparison tool. Because regardless of whether you are using 'free' solar energy or not, the efficiency matters (arguably it matters more with Solar unless you have a large surplus). At least that is my 2c, and I very well may be misunderstanding or overlooking something, as I have not spent a lot of time on it, and dont have a deep understanding here.

Thanks for the links, so it looks like for 120V the number to beat is ~22 SEER more or less.
That's the same for me. Out here in CA there's a lot of Offer up ads with with units out of Mexico which claim higher SEER with much lower weight which to me I don't think is possible. The better the drive motor and variable speed ability is what makes these things efficient. A good brushless motor and a controller with a true variable speed motor (50 - 5000 RPM) will allow for the gradual increase and decrease of the units overall ability to cool or heat given the insulated "envelope" of the area it is operating under via the thermostat. My home Maytag IQ Drive runs this way and is 24.5 SEER but it is a home unit. The 24.5 is also questionable because that number decreases as temps go up. You see that in the last page of the manual.

I have seen that Hot Spot ENergy unit before, and I am attracted ot the idea of DC mini-splits. But In my opinion-actually I dont think its an opinion (I think they say "calculated SEER" because they can't legally or technically use SEER in the way they do)--Hot Spot Energy is misrepresenting SEER when they say "75 'calculated SEER'. As I understand it, it is a 22 SEER unit, and they are giving themselves 53 bonus points because the unit can use solar energy. Essentially they are not counting that energy. But any A/C can be run off solar, and an A/C run completely off of solar would not be infinite-SEER just because the energy source is solar. The energy source is external to the A/C, by treating it as free energy they distort the meaning of the term, and the usefulness of it as a comparison tool. Because regardless of whether you are using 'free' solar energy or not, the efficiency matters (arguably it matters more with Solar unless you have a large surplus). At least that is my 2c, and I very well may be misunderstanding or overlooking something, as I have not spent a lot of time on it, and dont have a deep understanding here.
I agree they are misrepresenting the efficiency and how that relates to their competitors. To me what matters is how much would the unit tax my batteries at night. So yes this is skewed. I was considering their units but now I am only interested in the heat exchangers which can be utilized in conjunction with a mini-split to heat water. https://www.hotspotenergy.com/commercial-heat-recovery/HRU-specs.php

Attachments

• MAYTAG-PSA4BI.PDF
    750.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Dzl
Back