diy solar

diy solar

What's the DC connector on Jackery 500?

I ordered some of these, and just soldered them up. They seem to only *almost* fit. They slide in perfectly, but I think the inner pin is just barely to narrow. If I prod the outside of the connector I lose voltage. Did you test actually connecting it up?
Yes, I tested two of them but I didn't try moving them around after plugging them in. They fit into the jacks snugly and hold at 13.3V if I leave them alone. I just went and tried wiggling them around a little and they still held at 13.3V. However, I noticed that if move it forcefully enough to back them out of the port a hair it disconnects. So I think maybe the center pin is a little short rather than narrow.

I'll see if I can find one with a longer barrel and pin.

Ah yes, you're right. I wiggled it around a bit more now, and it's more consistent with a slightly too short center pin, as opposed to a slightly too thin one. Good call.

I'll see if I can find one with a longer barrel and pin.

No joy yet. I found several other choices, and even bought some of these to test. The problem I'm running into is that all of the available options have a barrel length of 9.5mm. I compared them to my Goal Zero adapter and it looks like that has a 10.5mm barrel. I'll keep searching in the background. I'm starting to think it's just best to buy some more GZ adapters for $5 each and cannibalize as needed even though that feels like quitting. ;)

Oh wow, $5? Yeah I'd do that. Where are you seeing those prices? On GoalZero I see no prices at all (probably because they don't ship outside the US). And their alleged UK supplier doesn't seem to carry any of their products. And prices on eBay are more like £20-£30 each.

Oh wow, $5? Yeah I'd do that. Where are you seeing those prices? On GoalZero I see no prices at all (probably because they don't ship outside the US). And their alleged UK supplier doesn't seem to carry any of their products. And prices on eBay are more like £20-£30 each.
Yeah, directly on the GZ site. Sorry, I didn't know where you were located. Here's what I see on the GZ site for items that would get you the compatible plug. Maybe you can widen the search and get lucky to grab one or more of them for less than the king's ransom you're seeing on eBay for the cigarette adapter.

1587589981369.png

1587590031258.png

The dc plugs according to Jackery are as follows.

Q2:What size barrel receivers do you have on the output 12V connectors?

The two DC output port sizes are 6.5*1.4mm. If only your device port can match it, then you can use it. They are for DIY use. Or you can use the car cigarette lighter port besides them, their function is same.

Hope helps~

Best regards,
Elaine
Team Jackery

The dc plugs according to Jackery are as follows.
Thanks for that. We got that info over two weeks ago but haven't been able to find a plug with a long enough barrel. Start with the post quoted below and you'll see what we tried. We need to find one with a barrel length of at least 10.5mm. The available plugs I've found only have 9.5mm barrel length. Please let us know if you have or can track down a compatible plug. Otherwise we're relegated to buying Goal Zero accessories.

@thomas_diysolar, I got more information on the output jack from Jackery support. I asked them to please get the physical dimensions of the two DC outputs from the engineers, saying that nobody can use those ports without the information. They came back this morning with:

"The two DC output port sizes are 6.5*1.4mm."

I've bought a couple of Lenovo cables for power input, and attached APP connectors to them. As mentioned earlier that works perfectly.

For power out I'm waiting for some GoalZero connectors. Others have already confirmed that they work, so I'll only update here if I find a problem with them. So for me this closes it. I'll give up on buying just the connectors.

It's a shame that Jackery doesn't document these ports, and that they are so hard to find. I know the Jackery 1000 has APP for power input built in, which is nice. But why did they bother putting these power output connectors on the 500 if they were going to use an almost impossible to find connector, and not even document what it is? You'd think they'd at the very least sell some adapters.

Thanks again to everyone on the thread.

This is absurd. Look at the options for connectors at Goal Zero. Go to Jackery website: achieved zero! Not a thing to help people for DYI, only that they are for DYI. Somewhere in Jackery engineering is the person that spec'd those outputs. If there is a female port, there must be a male pin, right?

Yeah, directly on the GZ site. Sorry, I didn't know where you were located. Here's what I see on the GZ site for items that would get you the compatible plug. Maybe you can widen the search and get lucky to grab one or more of them for less than the king's ransom you're seeing on eBay for the cigarette adapter.

View attachment 11605

View attachment 11606
This 6mm to battery terminal connector is cheap enough and will get me from my Jackery 500 DC output to my DC terminal block at the cabin. I concur that it is pretty lame that you need to send an email inquiry, and get a pleasant response from "Elaine" in China somewhere for something that ought to be in the user manual, and included in accessories available on the website. At the very least one would expect a little direction.

Thanks for the thread!

Mr. Prowse,any advice on this matter?
If someone can tag Will Prowse we probably will get a answer.

Last edited:
Anyone had any luck finding the barrels for cheap?

I'm looking for something that uses the Anderson powerpole connectors like this:

21mm-straight-dc-coaxial-power-socket-to-powerpole-adapter-1-ft__4523_580.jpg

(Sorry about the size of the image)

These are 5.5mm x 2.1mm and run about $9.

I'm new to the forum. Thanks everyone for the back and forth conversation, this was incredibly helpful! I, too, was very frustrated when I realized the lack of information on those two DC ports on my Jackery 500. I just bought two 6mm to female cigarette adapters and plan to cut off the cigarette lighter and replace with APP and hopefully that should do that trick. I'll report back. As others have said, it's a little absurd that Jackery hasn't provided users with more information on these DC ports.

@thomas_diysolar, I got more information on the output jack from Jackery support. I asked them to please get the physical dimensions of the two DC outputs from the engineers, saying that nobody can use those ports without the information. They came back this morning with:

"The two DC output port sizes are 6.5*1.4mm."

Based on that, I've ordered some of these and will report back:

View attachment 10608

What gauge wire are these?

Just spent a summer switching back and forth from a Jackery 500 wired into our 12V panel using the above-referenced Goal Zero connector, OR a VMAX TANK SLR100 100AH (600Wh) Deep Cycle, Solar AGM Battery wired into the same panel via an outdoor port. The one annoyance of the system is that both the Jackery and the VMAX need to be lugged down the hill to where the sunshine is abundant and the two 100W panels are. (the 68 lb. VMAX goes into a wheelbarrow for that trip) Some concessions were made, but overall we were pleased, and were never close to low on power.

We are driving:
  1. about 75 watts of Hitlights striplights, but we don't use them all at once very often, and they are all on PWM dimmers.
  2. Two 2W led garden lights as outdoor sconces
  3. Two 1.4W bedside reading lights
  4. An O2Cool fan that moves a surprising amount of air.
  5. So we can plug it easily into the house, and it can deal with inclement weather, the VMAX resides in a trolling motor battery case that has a 12V out connector. We plug it right into the house per the photo.
Of course for my wife's hair dryer I use a gas powered generator! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_4803.jpg
    IMG_4803.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4804 2.jpg
    IMG_4804 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4805 2.jpg
    IMG_4805 2.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Jackery Charging.jpg
    Jackery Charging.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4734.jpg
    IMG_4734.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So, I modified the Goal Zero cig lighter (added anderson power poles) for use on our Maxxaire fan, but was unsuccessful. The input seems to be a great fit, but for whatever reason, was unable to draw more than 1w or turn the fan on. Any assistance would be appreciated at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 23
So, I modified the Goal Zero cig lighter (added anderson power poles) for use on our Maxxaire fan, but was unsuccessful. The input seems to be a great fit, but for whatever reason, was unable to draw more than 1w or turn the fan on. Any assistance would be appreciated at this point.
What's your meter tell you when you measure the voltage across the powerpole connectors? Maybe you have a bad crimp/loose connection?

Thanks Bob, it was a bad APP (anderson power pole) connection. Fan works like a charm now! On a related note, I feel like I have to use WAY too much force to get the connector to seat properly to the APP housing.

Back