diy solar

diy solar

When charging with a Solar Charge Controller will it over power my cig sockets

EddieM

For a battery box with a 100AH lithem battery and hooked up to a few cig sockets and no inverter.

When charging it from a Solar Charge Controller 40amp this one - and two 200 watt panels - Maximum power: 200W, Voltage at Pmax: 17.0V, Current at Pmax: 11.76A

Will this over power my 3 cig socket plugs when charging? So anyhing i have pluged at the same time will get to much power?

Will i need to unplug say a 12 volt fridge when i am solar charging the battery to protect - or will this all be ok to charge and run things plugged in at the same time.

Thanks

The sockets will be at whatever voltage the battery is. Any device you plug into the sockets should regulate their own power consumption. Given that automotive systems can push the cig voltage to 14.4V or so, I wouldn't expect a problem in your scenario.

There are millions of RV's out there that get 14+ volts pumped into the circuit to charge the battery from a converter. If you're concerned about the higher voltage, you would need to install some sort of throttling device to keep the voltage closer to 13.0.

Back