diy solar

diy solar

When to charge Lipof4

larrylwill

I set up a 280AH Lifepo4 battery in my Motorhome, I added a new Inverter, AC charger and Shore power AC auto switch. Everything is working ok. I have a 250A under hood Gen separate from the A standard alternator and a Volts start which has the lithium module. This charges the house battery when boondocking is it gets too low. I do not know what voltage.
I keep the MH in the garage plugged in to AC The charger is only 10 amp for LifePo4 or AGM. My question is at what voltage should I start the ac charger? When I park it its full, but as the days wear on the battery discharges slowly and the voltage drops. At what voltage should I set the charger to start a charge cycle. In other words How Low Should I go?

If you are storing your RV for any length of time, normally 50% SoC is recommended. I store at 13.2V. If it get down at or below 13.0V I will turn on the solar array switch and charge to 13.2V. Rinse and repeat.

If your charger can float at 13.2V that’s a good number.

Then a couple days before you need to use it, charge to your normal voltage.

Depends on usage, location and conditions but 13.0 is generally a good starting point.

The battery sits in the garage unused for months until we use the MH, then the engine gen charges it full. I have a trimetric battery monitor and when the battery monitor gets to around 65% the battery voltage is around 13.2 volts. It takes about a week or more for it to get that low when plugged in. I turn off the DV power and the only thing I know for sure that is hooked up is the BMD, inverter (off) and the charger.

Back