diy solar

diy solar

When would a battery protect shunt be appropriate?

PaintBrush

Victron told Will not to use theirs but it wasn't explained why. Was it because they had a different, better product or was there a chance that there would be an electrical problem?

Are you referring to one of these?

Iirc they don't have a lot of current handling and it's totally unnecessary with a programmable bms.

Someone on this forum once said they like to go all melty and let the smoke out if you try to charge through them as well, implying they're one directional. But I haven't checked the manual to be sure and don't have one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211012-002413_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211012-002413_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 2
I use it on my MotorHome. But is was to replace a relay - the salesman switch. This is a switch to cut power to the inside fuse panel. The old relay was a power hog - this one - not so much.

Other than it's smarts, what does it do that a fuse or breaker could not do?
Its designed to cut power to consumers when the battery volts falls below a pre programmed value, or can be controlled via external circuits as a interruption device. It is a single direction device. It is not an over current device.
It is however limited in the current it can handle, so cannot be used with inverters due to the high inrush current. This was the advice given to Will.

Mike

I use a Victron battery protect between my DC loads and the positive bus bar. It’s there to ensure I don’t over discharge my batteries.

As mentioned is must not be used directly between the battery and an inverter. There’s no reason to in most cases since many inverters have their own ability to shutdown at a defined voltage.

Back