diy solar

diy solar

When your bat-a-ria's cost more than your crib...

It'd be nice to hear how this goes after a few days of use with the AC and the lithium batteries.

I looked at the lithium bank I'm building, and it comes out to about 9 Battleborn batteries. It's two batteries, each with 280 ah at 24 volts. So the bank I have is about 2/3'ds the size, and I will also be upgrading to a 3000 watt 24 volt inverter. If you are able to turn the RVs 15k BTU AC with what you have, then I'm probably not that far away from doing it either. My initial plan was to see how it went with the factory installed AC this year with a few test runs in October, and the intent would be to look at ditching the factory installed AC and install a mini split install in 2022. When I go hit the on switch for the AC, I except it not to power up.

It'd be real nice if the Inverter could support it, which I think the start up locked rotor amperage would be what prevents it, but a soft start may allow the AC to spin up.

I'm in Central AZ, so I have my RV stored for a couple more month, and then I'll take it out.

How long have you had starlink and any interruptions in service? Some of the Beta Testers earlier this year reported that they occasionally did not have enough satellites in the sky but coverage was spotty. Starlink has launched hundreds of satellites since. Also, once this leaves beta testing and it has between one and five million users, do you think these speeds will keep up?

That screen shot makes it look promising. Much better faster than most of my speed tests for COX gigablast. Probably cheaper to. Beta testing was $100 per month last I loooked and Gigablast costs me $150.
Will reply tomorrow, was in Vegas all day, am exhausted but I ran my ac on 4 of the battleborns easy, just a matter of for how long right. Get an easy start… not soft start , an easy start… makes a huge difference on compress start up demand. There’s even a Bluetooth version now, made my micro-air for Hutch, will explain tomorrow or you can google… g’night.

Okay... strange question...

1625805404188.png

Was this taken on Brown Road by O'Reilly in Mesa (just West of Recker)?

Okay... strange question...

View attachment 55515

Was this taken on Brown Road by O'Reilly in Mesa (just West of Recker)?
I was wondering why the back of my neck was itching that day, damn you’re good…..ya freaking stalker, I wasn’t even a board member then….lol

1625806011019.png

Attachments

• D1AEA024-8004-4FC1-B64A-D9FE3673EEBB.jpeg
    D1AEA024-8004-4FC1-B64A-D9FE3673EEBB.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
LOL... You were inside of two miles from me. We're just north of Brown between Higley and Greenfield.

I use that carwash and visit that O'Reilly regularly... :)

LOL... You were inside of two miles from me. We're just north of Brown between Higley and Greenfield.

I use that carwash and visit that O'Reilly regularly... :)
I came all that way from BC (see plates) for coffee and ya didn’t even invite me in, see how you are? LOL

I use that carwash regularly... :)
I wish I could say the same, I'm not allowed back, something about the price of fluorescent tubes and trailer height, it was hard to hear him yelling as I was hauling ass down brown, ballasts streaming from my AC cover…

Last edited:
Get an easy start… not soft start , an easy start… makes a huge difference on compress start up demand.
Thanks. I will look at both an easy start and a soft start for this 24 volt build:

9E3C06A1-AFC6-4889-B589-D7CFDDA47F49.jpegCB4ADF20-64FE-4BC3-B4F9-18DB8FB1DEA2.jpeg

Thanks. I will look at both an easy start and a soft start for this 24 volt build:

View attachment 55539View attachment 55538
Sorry, yea when I said not soft start I should have said not simply throwing a soft start capacitor in, wasn't referring to the unit you showed there on the left, my apologies, I know nothing about their product.

PS: I'm waiting on my bluetooth versions (2 of them from Hutch) as being able to see live current etc will be nice.... they've been SUPER responsive on letting me know the status of my order and their install kit is better than the one from Micro-Air as well... you may want to hold off and get the bluetooth version.

As us Canadians say... check it oooooooooot, there's even a cool app: https://www.hutchmountain.com/collections/air-conditioner-soft-start/products/micro-air-bluetooth-easystart™-364-soft-starter

Sorry, yea when I said not soft start I should have said not simply throwing a soft start capacitor in, wasn't referring to the unit you showed there on the left, my apologies, I know nothing about their product.
This is all new to me, so I appreciate it. I've got most of the wiring figured out for this battery install, next will be working on making the slide out battery tray covered to protect the terminals somehow, and then I'll start looking at the AC thing a little more.

This is all new to me, so I appreciate it. I've got most of the wiring figured out for this battery install, next will be working on making the slide out battery tray covered to protect the terminals somehow, and then I'll start looking at the AC thing a little more.
You'll be AMAZED the difference using an Easy Start makes (I say that one cus that's the one I have experience with) but going from 33amp to 18amp starting as shown in the video mentioned above makes the difference between a small 2200 watt genie or none at all)...... There are heaps of YouTube videos on it.... grab some popcorn.

Last edited:
@Jennifer Wondering how the Air Conditioning went this summer. Also does your trailer have a 13.5 BTU?

Getting ready to test my build for AC once the weather warms up. I finished my 24-volt Lithium battery upgrade with a 3000-watt Samlex Inverter hardwired to get 25 amps 120 VAC from it. I would like to try to get an Easy Start like you linked. Would be nice to hear how it went from someone else who is in the hot AZ sun.

Back