diy solar

diy solar

Where can I buy a solar panel rail mount or should I just make one out of unistruts for my roof?

I bought racks directly from Eco-Worthy on their website and also used a (10-15%.) coupon code I found online. Shipping was fast, service great, and price better than Amazon. I got six Z type and put them on planter beds (water shortage—can’t grow anyway). Recommended✅

Attachments

• 663E1334-A7D0-4171-BBBB-119577BE7649.jpeg
    663E1334-A7D0-4171-BBBB-119577BE7649.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 44
If your in the US (you didnt indicate were you were) your likely going to need local zoneing permission to put pannels on a roof. Which likely means you have to have "engineered" rails. (if thats not the case then uni-strut is usually the go to)

Ironridge rails are commonly used. You cant order off their website however you can "build your project" on their website and then requests quotes from local suppliers. It worked for me. (mostly)

Another possibility :

If your in the US (you didnt indicate were you were) your likely going to need local zoneing permission to put pannels on a roof. Which likely means you have to have "engineered" rails. (if thats not the case then uni-strut is usually the go to)

Ironridge rails are commonly used. You cant order off their website however you can "build your project" on their website and then requests quotes from local suppliers. It worked for me. (mostly)
Im in Los Angeles, and I plan on putting solar panels on my roof to power up outdoor lights, cameras and small freezer that is not tied to the house electrical system using 4 100 watt panels. Do I need a permit for that?

Im in Los Angeles, and I plan on putting solar panels on my roof to power up outdoor lights, cameras and small freezer that is not tied to the house electrical system using 4 100 watt panels. Do I need a permit for that?
Sometimes I wonder why they even refer to us as home "owners" but unless the permit gestapo gets you cause of a rat neighbor complaint I think your good to go until its time to sell the house. Then just take them with you.

Permit or not, I would be very careful about the wind situation,
in particular for one of those few days of stormy weather..

Wind pressure is given by the equation P = 0.00256 x V2, where V is the speed of the wind in miles per hour (mph). The unit for wind pressure is pounds per square foot (psf). For example, if the wind speed is 70 mph, the wind pressure is 0.00256 x 70 = 12.5 psf.

1662616573210.png

The standard solar panel size dimensions are about 65 inches by 39 inches, which is roughly 17.5 square feet.

So 218.75 lbs if its flat up against that 70 mph wind.

Does it work like that? Suction side pressure sucks.
There are different ways to calculate it; I think you can use drag coefficient as a substitute. A flat plate has a Cd of 2.0, but that would only be if it was perpendicular to the wind.

these are the most cost effective option, but ONLY work if you mount the panels in a portrait orientation

Back