diy solar

diy solar

Where can I purchase a fat piece of wire with ring terminals on it?

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
With all of the chatter about bus bars and proper compression of cells - I am leaning hard towards using hardwire with ring terminals. I prefer a connection made with the proper tooling. I have a pair of crimpers that will get them on, but this is not a place to go backyard. I understand that I have traded away 2 connections for 4 and the resultant losses, but I believe that it can work well. I don't need more than a few kilowatts out of the cell array anyway.

So if you know who I can get assemblies from please let me know. If someone has done testing on assemblies I would be interested in that paper

Last edited:
Yep. I have the same one, but got it on amazon for 45 bucks I think. That was a year or two ago. Just make sure you use the right inserts and you'll have rock solid cold weld joints.

Thank you
Yep. I have the same one, but got it on amazon for 45 bucks I think. That was a year or two ago. Just make sure you use the right inserts and you'll have rock solid cold weld joints.
Thank you for good advice. I will get this unit and do some thorough testing.

I would like to share this with the group. I worked for Creare here in Hanover, NH. They do all kinds of R&D work for DOE, DOD, military and at times NASA. They re-designed the chilling system for the Hubble telescope when the first system wore out.

The particular design I would like to share is a hydraulic press that puts large ring terminals on the ends of arresting cables. The cables of course stop fighter jets when landing on aircraft carriers. I did not work on this particular design. It was done by a group of very creative mechanical engineers. I am a power supply designer.

The objective was to put a press on every aircraft carrier. Before the press was completed putting the ring terminals on the cables was only done on shore. A cut through the cross section of the terminal would suggest a solid piece of steel. The strands are squished together really good.

The link below has enough the information to calculate the force on the terminal F=MA. Enjoy.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/aircraft-carrier4.htm

2_TroubleShooter_0918.png

temco sells hydraulic tools of reasonable quality and price. I have their hole punch set as well as their hydraulic terminal crimper. I've done a bunch of 1/0 terminals, works great so long as you use the matching die, conductor, and terminal. search Amazon for temco crimper.

As for cabling at any length you want and lugs, I’ve had good luck with windy nation. Took about 4 days free USPS shipping from west coast to NH for my order a couple weeks ago. For wiring a battery it’s going to get pricy for lugs. I’ve used the TEMco impact hammer crimper, at 4 awg it works be def seems more suitable for #2 to 4/0.

You can buy windy nation off their Amazon store and might get faster shipping I’m just trying to avoid Amazon as much as I can.

Back