diy solar

diy solar

Where can I purchase a fat piece of wire with ring terminals on it?

I think making your own is a better option.

Very difficult to meaure your own correctly. The bigger cables don’t bend that much, and in tight corners, like a battery terminal to battery terminal, being more than 1/4 of an inch off cab make the cable scrap copper. Other places there’s a couple inches leeway.

90 degree logs made my large cable routing much easier. THere’s also 45 degree lugs,

2_TroubleShooter_0918.png
Hex crimp video, at the end they compare the hex crimp to a professional crimp on large wire.

Hex crimp video, at the end they compare the hex crimp to a professional crimp on large wire.
I have the same yellow one he shows in the video. It does make small ears on the lugs when compressed. I make sure the lug is vertical so the ears don't interfere when bolting a lug down. I'm in Canada and it was 70$C @ Princess Auto

I did my 280Ah cells with cable rather than use the supplied bus bars. I arranged them in a 2x2 config. I can parallel cells without decompressing them for top balance

The TEMCo has half size dies to avoid the ears. I crimp with the larger die then the correct (smaller) die. Worst case rotate 60 degrees and crimp one more time.
I find that I don't get ears if the wire fully fills the terminal. try different brands and sizes. I do like the hex crimps but a single punch crimper seems to work well enough and is a lot quicker.

One option I saw on the forum for using cable to connect terminal was to put all the cells in the same configuration. All positive terminals on the left, all negative terminals on the right (same configuration you would use for top balancing). The cable would then go diagonally from the positive terminal of the first cell to the negative terminal of the second cell, and so on until you get to the last cell. That way you don't have to bend any of the cables. Sure, you probably end up using more cable and the diagonal cables make it for a less clean run across the top of the battery for other cables, but it's not a bad layout.

Back