diy solar

diy solar

Where did you come from/where else do you go?

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
This is a very new forum (coming up on its first birthday), what communities did you frequent before this forum? What other communities do you still frequent?

My interest in Alt-E and electronics is new enough that this is the first solar / electronics focused forum I've actively participated in. My exposure before this came from electrical subforums in vehicle, overland, and offroad forums, and from DIY and open source technology communities. Recently I have been visiting the Victron community, and Electrodacus community.

I'm curious what other related communities you frequent, like, dislike, etc, on the topics of alt-e, solar, batteries, diy electronics/electrical, etc

I used to be on quite a few public spaces, IRC and forums in the past. Topics varied but always in the tech arena, from Matrox video hardware , satellite related, computing, electronics etc but as time wore on a lot of them went off the boil and became more general chit chat sites or became troll fests so I drifted away. I am now only on a couple of public forums with the rest of where I lurk being private behind locked doors technical/industry forums where you have to have industry credentials or the like to get in.

I used to be on quite a few public spaces, IRC and forums in the past. Topics varied but always in the tech arena, from Matrox video hardware , satellite related, computing, electronics etc but as time wore on a lot of them went off the boil and became more general chit chat sites or became troll fests so I drifted away. I am now only on a couple of public forums with the rest of where I lurk being private behind locked doors technical/industry forums where you have to have industry credentials or the like to get in.

Well I’m just a regular schmoe and happy to have the (semi) professional input here ?

what he said.
DR7,1999,broke the code to dish.that was fun.

Years ago I was active on the endlesssphere forum when I built a couple of ebikes. Then I migrated to diyelectriccar.com forum when I was converting an VW to electric. Then I joined the teslamotorsclub.com forum in 2012 for insights into the cars and the Tesla Energy subforum. I am now the happy owner of two Teslas, a 2016 MX and a 2019 M3. I latter joined the NAWS solar forum, the Outbackpower forum and solarpaneltalk forum. I was fairly active on solarpaneltalk until I found this forum three months ago.

I'm active on the Ford-Trucks.com and TitanTalk.com forums, under the same username. I was a moderator for a technical newsgroup a few years back that started on Compuserve and migrated to newsgroups. I'm on MyNissanLeaf.com but don't go there all that much, mainly because my car has so few problems.

wide variety of forums in motorsports, electricity, rv's, construction, tools and little bit of disaster prep. mostly stay away from political/idealist forums.

I quite literally grew up on the internet. from a kid in the late 90's to today in my mid 30's I've left a mark just about everywhere online.

main drivers were the search of knowledge or piracy. the big factors in my teens were: irc, direct connect, icq/aim, hardOCP (leaving around the time genmay split), myspace.

these days its old.reddit, bookface and here.

Facebook. Lol. Over the past 3 weeks I’ve been able break free a little, thankfully. I had become a total slave to FB notifications! Installed a blocker on my phone and computers. (Yup, I lack some self control.) There is a decent solar forum called DIY RV Solar that I miss somewhat though.

Facebook. Lol. Over the past 3 weeks I’ve been able break free a little, thankfully. I had become a total slave to FB notifications! Installed a blocker on my phone and computers. (Yup, I lack some self control.) There is a decent solar forum called DIY RV Solar that I miss somewhat though.

Break the cycle! (y)
I have FB but never install the app on my phone (for this reason and many others). Apps like it are designed to suck you in and capture as much of your attention as possible for as long as possible. Not to mention all the tracking and datamining. I check FB on my phone sometimes, but I just do so through the browser like I would on my computer, and I don't stay logged in. Kills two birds with one stone (self control, and tracking). :)

Last edited:
Break the cycle! (y)
I have FB but never install the app on my phone (for this reason and many others). Apps like it are designed to suck you in and capture as much of your attention as possible for as long as possible. Not to mention all the tracking and datamining. I check FB on my phone sometimes, but I just do so through the browser like I would on my computer, and I don't stay logged in. Kills two birds with one stone (self control, and tracking). :)
I had tried that — uninstalling the app — but I was finding that the browser was almost as bad for me. It’s good to see that others can relate!

Break the cycle! (y)
Sounds like this forum's notifications is similar to FB.

Came from youtube DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse.
I also go to the library.
???

Same here - Will is a talented presenter. Sometimes I watch when there is almost no way I get pertinent information. Also - killing time is a priority when not learning up on and building lithium batteries. it isn't like I always have 300 things to do. Oh wait - I do.

Spent years on NAWS and still frequent the joint. Enough years that pleasantries are often dispensed with. Some grouchy codgers here and there it seems. I'm sure they will pop up here - soon enough.

Ditched reddit when the CEO went full tilt "political". Both sides can be dangerous with too much power.

I'm a freedom junkie. Always in hot water with all the burgeoning control freaks. Where in hell did these millions of control freaks come from anyway?

"My song" -

I deleted myself from Facebook years ago.
I'm so ignorant about politics I didn't know what people were talking about.
I saw people passionately fighting about nonsense.
Glad I don't seem much of that here.

edit: not much political nonsense here. lol

Been hanging around various DIY-style forums, but never found one as specific as this one here..

Other than that i have a smaller community im a part of on Discord, but its very beginner-level - which is why im happy i found this place :)

Reactions: Dzl
Reddit mostly besides this forum, and IRC channels etc. before that. I don't have a ton of time to spend on random forums and never had Facebook. I make some videos once in a while on my YT channel (lately more on lbry.tv), but that's as far as social media goes for me.

Reactions: Dzl
I go to a Powerstroke Forum, and a simliar Ford Forum for my car, but the truck gives more problems than the car so that’s where I spend more time. I had been to a couple of. Gold mining forums, but one has a few posts a year now, but the other is active. I go to Facebook about once a day. I am thinking of the Victron Forum, depending how it goes with zeroing in my Victron Battery monitor this weekend.

Back