diy solar

diy solar

Where do I get the RJ45 cable to hook up my VE.Bus Smart Dongle to my system?

nmgarvin1

I'm finishing up my build with Victron Orion-Tr, Charge controller, Multiplus Inverter, Digital Multi Control GX, 2x 100ah Battleborns, Lynx Distributor, and VE.Bus Smart Dongle. Everything is plugged in, except the smart dongle. When I watch videos of installation, they always have an RJ45 plugged into the back of the smart dongle, but mine didn't come with one. Did I lose a cable or something?

I plugged the temperature sensor in the B+ and B- on the front of the dongle, but the back has a space for the RJ45 which I don't have. I'm using one for my BMV-712 and my DMC GX but I don't have any others to use for the dongle

Attachments

• 20210107_230727.jpg
    20210107_230727.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 16
If a standard UTP network cable works, then creating your own is easy. Just follow the pinouts for a standard Ethernet cable, right?

With the link I posted you can get the cable for $4 or $5. Making your own cable that cheap is impossible unless you already have everything you need because you've made a few cables in the past. But yeah, it's a simple straight-through cable otherwise.

Yeah, I have plenty of cable, maybe 500' plus all the necessary connectors and tools. I've done a couple of network installs, but it was a while ago. My kids were popular in college because they could get me to make patch cables for their friends. This was back when dorms had Ethernet, not WiFi.

Back