diy solar

diy solar

Where do i need to bond neutral to ground?

This will cover your question properly:

Last edited:
Does the house panel have N bonded to G?
Are the branch neutrals and branch grounds landed on the same busbars or separate?

Same questions for the shed panel.

Why do the ground rods need to be tied together?
Think about the purpose of the ground rod.
It is to keep earth at same neutral potential at all locations.
Anyplace in the electrical system you need a ground rod, needs to be connected together.
All grounding points need to be balanced to prevent shocks from environmental current, AND to provide a fault path to Neutral, which returns to energy source.

Think about the purpose of the ground rod.
It is to keep earth at same neutral potential at all locations.
Anyplace in the electrical system you need a ground rod, needs to be connected together.
All grounding points need to be balanced to prevent shocks from environmental current, AND to provide a fault path to Neutral, which returns to energy source.
I always though they were for lightning and static and considered a separate system from the equipment grounds and play no role in preventing electric shock/fires etc.

Shed panel
Merge, draw up a little diagram (schematic) for yourself to make it easier to keep track of what is hooked to what.

You can share this diagram on the forum Herr. I also suggest putting the diagram inside the electrical panel before installing the cover so you have something to refer back to 2 years from now when you want to make modifications or need to troubleshoot a problem.

So i should remove the extra grounding rod connections if i dont connect them all?
No. You can have multiple ground rods at any given place in your system but they should be tied together via the equipment ground.

This will already be done as long you have an equipment ground running from panel to panel in the different buildings.

No. You can have multiple ground rods at any given place in your system but they should be tied together via the equipment ground.

Your statement is in conflict with Mike Holt in the video I linked.

In the event of a NEARBY lightning strike, ground rods at different locations will see several thousand volts difference in potential. The equipment ground conductors will be what conducts the current from the rod closest to the strike to the rod(s) farther from the strike. This usually fries equipment.

In the event of a NEARBY lightning strike, ground rods at different locations will see several thousand volts difference in potential. The equipment ground conductors will be what conducts the current from the rod closest to the strike to the rod(s) farther from the strike. This usually fries equipment.

Code calls for ground rods at subpanels in detached structures.

In other words the subpanel in the detached structure will have a 4 wire feeder and floating neutral. You will have ground rods for this panel and an equipment ground back to the main panel.

Lightning strikes always fry equipment regardless.

It's not possible to have the ground electrodes at the subpanel at the detached structure electrically separate from the ground rods at the service entrance or main panel so long as everything is installed to code.

Code calls for ground rods at subpanels in detached structures.

In other words the subpanel in the detached structure will have a 4 wire feeder and floating neutral. You will have ground rods for this panel and an equipment ground back to the main panel.
Not exactly.
The neutral isn't floating, it is bonded to ground at the main panel.
So, the ground rod, will be connected to the ground busbar, which will be connected to the bonded ground bar at the main panel.

Not exactly.
The neutral isn't floating, it is bonded to ground at the main panel.
So, the ground rod, will be connected to the ground busbar, which will be connected to the bonded ground bar at the main panel.

Floating in my case meaning the subpanel neutral and egc are NOT bonded to each other in the subpanel.

The ground rods at the subpanel and main/service entrance panel are electrically connected to each other via the EGC that would run from main/service entrance to the subpanel.

In regards to the OP's question, if his inverters and generators have ground fault protection, he cannot bond the neutral at any point after generator or inverters.

This is why I said it's complicated. It totally depends on how his generator is hooked to the system (is it via what I think are his AIO's) or some other method and does his all in one have a floating neutral? If it does, then he needs to know what is switched during transfer from the inverter portion the generator to avoid tripping the ground fault on the gen etc......

How do you electrically test is they are floating? I am planning on hooking the gen into the ac in on the inverters.
Mentioned above >>> Panel floating??? Never period.
You can test with a continuity tester or plug outlet tester

Back