diy solar

diy solar

Where/How to integrate Lifepo/solar into 2004 Roadtrek system

I am trying to find the 12v lead To the battery. To safely integrate small solar charge controller into the existing house system (not wanting to have to build/wire a whole separate system alongside the factory one. )
Planning on disconnecting alternator power, and soon replacing existing wet cell marine with lifepo

Looks like you don't have an inverter but you do have a converter.
That means none of the alternating current stuff will work unless you are connected to shore power.
When you are connected to shore power you can likely use your converter to charge your batteries.
We need to check the exact model# of the converter to make sure its not going to do something nasty to your lifepo4 batteries.
Lifepo4 batteries should not get cold and absolutely cannot be charged below 0 celcius which means they should be in the living area and provisions may need to be made to ensure they stay above freezing.
For efficiency the converter, solar charge controller, batteries and dc load center should be as close together as possible.

Here is a system diagram.
Still a work in progress because we are missing details about your solar charge controller.
Have you purchased the solar charge controller and the panels yet?
if so what is the amp rating on the system side of the solar charge controller?

Code:
legend {
    bp = Victron Smart BatteryProtect 65 amp
    dpst = double pole single throw switch
    mrbf_NNN = terminal fuse where nnn is the amp rating
    shunt = shunt based battery monitor
    |NNN| = busbar fused position where nnn is the amp rating
    |UUU| = busbar un_fused position
    <-> bi-directional traffic
    <- = uni-directional traffic
    -> =uni-directional traffic
}
converter {
    pos
    neg
}
shunt {
    pos
    sensor {
        up
        down
    }
}
dc_load_center {
    pos
    neg
}
bp {
    pos {
        in
        out ->dc_load_center
    }
    ground
}
panels {
        pos panel_in_series<-panel_in_series
        neg panel_in_series->panel_in_series
}
scc {
    system {
        pos
        neg
    }
    pv {
        pos<-dpst<-panels.pos
        neg->dpst->panels.neg
    }
}
system {
    pos = {
        awg2/0|UUU|<->disconnect_switch<->mrbf_250<->batteries.pos
        awg006|100|<-converter
        awg006|100|<-scc.system.pos
        awg006|100|->bp.pos.in
        awg016|001|->shunt.pos
    }
    neg = {
        awg2/0|UUU|<->shunt.sensor<->battery.neg
        awg006|UUU|->converter
        awg006|UUU|->scc.system.neg
        awg006|UUU|<-dc_load_center
        awg016|UUU|<-bp.ground
    }
}

Last edited:
The final wire and fusing decisions will depend on the distance between components.

Here is how the ac side should look now, confirm?
Code:
inlet->surge_protector->|->breaker->converter
                        |->ac_panel

Last edited:
Hi, I have a 2001 Roadtrek 190 and trying to do the same thing. Looking at your pictures it looks like you have the same ELX45 Converter I have. I currently have a Onan 2800 underneath. The ELX45 takes power from either the Onan or ShorePower for AC, or the house battery. If house battery you only have 12vdc service for house, otherwise both 12vdc and 120ac are active on Generator or ShorePower. What I am looking to do is replace the Onan with a solar system and inverter. From what I have found so far, and I think you would be the same, is under the drivers side couch just aft of the stove is the ELX45 and with it the Isolator that insures you do not take both from both Shore and Generator. From what I can tell I would replace the feed from the generator with the feed from the Inverter and it should work. So new equipment connection will be solar power to charge controller to house battery to inverter then 120vac from inverter to Isolator for the ELX45. With that I am expecting that I will still have my existing RoadTrek wiring work for 12vdc as well as Shore Power (12vc and 120vac) and the new Solar with Inverter will connect in place of generator for (12vdc and 120vac) when not on Shore Power. By default the Roadtrek came with an Air Conditioner, not expecting the inverter to run it but should work for the small Microwave and toaster over as well as laptop computers. Please keep posted on how you make out, I am just planning for the winter and would love to build off your actual experience. I do not see any mention in your posts of an Onan do (or did you) have one?

Looking at your pictures it looks like you have the same ELX45 Converter I have. I currently have a Onan 2800 underneath. The ELX45 takes power from either the Onan or ShorePower for AC, or the house battery.
Converters make dc from ac.
Inverters make ac from dc.

If your converter is getting power from your house battery you likely have a power loop.

Last edited:
Back