diy solar

diy solar

Where is @Will Prowse?

Good question.
I have seen him reply to a couple of posts. So, I'm sure that he's just busy with things.

If he is as smart as he appears to be, he's on a long summer vacation which is where I should be.

Instead, I'm working my tail off at work, in free time I'm building big battery boxes and installing a solar system........

I need a vacation.

I'm always present here or checking the channel. Trying to think of a new fun direction to take with the videos. Have done a few hundreds videos now and I feel like I'm repeating myself. I actually filmed some videos this month, but didn't post them because they were not very useful.

I'm always present here or checking the channel. Trying to think of a new fun direction to take with the videos. Have done a few hundreds videos now and I feel like I'm repeating myself. I actually filmed some videos this month, but didn't post them because they were not very useful.

I get burned out myself. Taking break is good, something will come to you eventually.

Still have plans for SolArk build videos?

I am sure your decisions are valid, you are a smart guy.
But we like seeing your energy don’t keep us waiting too long on videos.

Maybe post up a video asking us for video ideas?

Haha! Yes I still need to do sol ark videos.

I just get tired of doing the same videos over and over again. My channel views do not change much regardless of if I post or not.

Other channels are doing similar tests that I did when I started out, so I want to mix it up and do something different.

While I'm filming I tend to say the same line from at least ten other past videos. Gets a bit repetitive. Want to mix it up. I've done hundreds of videos on the topic now, so the burn out is real.

Also my current system rocks ? it works so well and I love it. Just passed 2 megawatthours.

There he is! Over on the left by the ice cream shop hiding behind the clown with the unicirn baloon! :p

Here's a challenge Will, make a functional solar system with only what you can buy within 50 miles of your house.

I really hope ypu're not 49 miles from SanTan. :LOL:
My fun videos get downvoted. Or if I share opinions or entertain. Technically, instructional videos get the upvotes, and I'm here to appeal to the masses. Need to find the next thing that can really help people. I don't want to entertain. I want to help people. Without wasting their time.

I just get tired of doing the same videos over and over again. My channel views do not change much regardless of if I post or not.

Other channels are doing similar tests that I did when I started out, so I want to mix it up and do something different.

While I'm filming I tend to say the same line from at least ten other past videos. Gets a bit repetitive. Want to mix it up. I've done hundreds of videos on the topic now, so the burn out is real.

Also my current system rocks ? it works so well and I love it. Just passed 2 megawatthours.
You should go drive to santan solar.. road trip vacation ?

My fun videos get downvoted. Or if I share opinions or entertain. Technically, instructional videos get the upvotes, and I'm here to appeal to the masses. Need to find the next thing that can really help people. I don't want to entertain. I want to help people. Without wasting their time.
????? That seems... oddly depressing. Sheesh!

Here's one:
Off-grid blended DC/AC coupling using micros and hybrid inverter. Thx.

I'd love to see a clear, concrete example comparing series vs parallel arranged solar panels. I know there are lots of videos on the subject but they all have serious deficiencies. Here's what would interest me at least:

You need 6 identical panels, somewhere in the 200-400W range each. Make sure each panel has 2 or 3 bypass diodes. You need two identical MPPT SCCs, big enough for the following setup.

Take 3 panels, put in series, long edge to long edge, and hookup to one SCC. Take the other 3 panels, put in parallel, long edge to long edge, and hookup to the other SCC. Have both SCCs on battery banks that can take the full charge current.

Ensure both panel setups are next to each at the same tilt and facing the same direction. The only variable here should be the series/parallel arrangement. Show the results of both SCCs. They should be producing basically the same wattage and both should be outputting the same charge voltage and current. That's the baseline.

Now demonstrate shading effects. Block various combinations of cells on both setups at the same time and note the changes at both controllers. I think the following tests would give interesting results:

- Block one cell in one panel in both setups.
- Block one long row of cells in one panel in both setups.
- Block one short row of cells in one panel in both setups.
- Block one short row of cells across all three panels in both setups. This should give the worse results in both setups I think.
- Simulate some tree shading on both setups. Maybe hold a broom or something a few feet away from the array.

Perhaps repeat the whole set of tests with the panels arranged short edge to short edge.

The primary goal would be to nail down whether the whole idea of putting panels in parallel or series is better when shading is an issue. I think a lot of the old wisdom is from pre-bypass diode panels. None of the videos I've seen show two side-by-side setups to get a real comparison. None of the videos I've seen are methodical in their testing. None use 3 panels, usually just 2 and that's not a valid test for most people.

I think the end results can be summarized to show under what shading conditions series is better and under what shading conditions parallel is better.

It would be a nice technical touch to be able to explain each result. For example, explain why in the series setup, the voltage and current dropped from X to Y when shading Z cells and why in the parallel setup it changed from A to B when shading the same cells.

Maybe a follow-on video comparing the results of a 4S setup and a 2S2P setup but with the 4 panels in the same physical layout (either 1x4 or 2x2). There's a lot of possibilities.

I'm not sure this is the type of video for Will or not, but I'd love to see someone do this :) I'm living mobile and have no way to do this sort of thing myself.

Series vs. parallel? Those half-cell panels are parallel-serial internally, which will hang up a lot of MPPT algorithms with partial shading. Could be good to demonstrate that.

Parallel strings of different orientations - SMA published results showing only 2% less than having them on separate MPPT, but have since taken it offline.

The mobile crowd usually has flat panels on their roof. Any quick to erect & secure for driving tilt setups suitable for them?

That is exactly why I was suggesting you break away from the rest of the YouTube pack and start doing more detailed analysis of Inverters and how they perform. Just looking at the effieceny curves of "typical" Inverter designs has got me really wondering at what Wattage are these Inverters efficiency being rated at. How effiecent is a an LV6548, Growatt or Sol-Ark at full load versus 40% load? That is one of those values you can see instantly with that Fluke Meter and a bunch of heaters for loads. Then we have the whole THD question. Lots of new Angles to test the equipment you already have.

Well, I replied to the YT post asking for such ideas but i'm especially curious as to how prevalent repackaged used cells are in supposedly new prebuilt batteries, such as the TimeUSB battery you took apart. I think you've basically already established that most of the cheap batteries that DO use new cells don't particularly suck, and depending on how you look at it pretty much range from 90% good to 100% good to the point that you've combined multiple battery dissections into one video lately because they're.. predictably just fine.

But used cells in 'new' batteries.. What known instances are out there? Would some things to look out for be, odd aH sizes that don't correlate with multiples of common cell sizes, suspiciously small BMS current ratings, unusually pessimistic cycle life claims (2000 or less vs typically higher claims), etc?

And couch this in, when does it stop mattering? How steep is the 'non-linearity' of capacity drop off after lifepo4 hits 80% of original capacity anyway? How cheap does something like that have to be to still be better than a spanking new lead-acid, for example? Is it even realistic to care about claimed cycles past 2000 etc when the battery has multiple cells and they ALL have to make it to 4000 for a battery that claims 4000 to actually get there, with daily cycling, in 10+ years!? Does 'sudden cell death' which might be more pragmatic of a concern (is it?) than the difference between 2000 and 4000 cycles, become more common after that 80% capacity mark, or are used cells likely to be essentially as 'reliable' as new but with quicker capacity deterioration? And what kind of uses would likely NEVER find the difference between 80% of 120 and 100% of 100 because they'll likely never cycle them often or deeply enough to find drastic differences, and is that a surprisingly large umbrella that covers a whole lot of people who would say they would not consider used cells but in all likelihood would still be happy with them?

Should we be crying wolf to the whole idea of derated used cells being sold 'retail' in new batts, or should we just be hounding them down to a lower price point, or forgoing the shamelessly easy Amazons return policy on 'pre-assembled' batteries and buying used raw cells cheaper through some other marketplace which would likely offer NO realistic chance of returns/support?

Sorry, as a car mechanic one of my main hobbies is finding out (on my own stuff) just how far and how long parts will go beyond their design intent. With lifepo4 I don't have the patience to wait all the years to figure any of this stuff out with my own testing, but would sure like to hear someone who's been watching and using them since closer to 'the beginning' give highlights of their accumulated knowledge, even if half of what i've asked for here might be considered vague generalizations and conjecture. I understand that it's easier to receive and find the value of such things, than it is to put yourself up to spreading it when you hold yourself to high standards. Or..maybe you've been JUST WAITING to rile up half of everyone by making any assertions along any of these lines. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I'd love to see a clear, concrete example comparing series vs parallel arranged solar panels. I know there are lots of videos on the subject but they all have serious deficiencies. Here's what would interest me at least:

You need 6 identical panels, somewhere in the 200-400W range each. Make sure each panel has 2 or 3 bypass diodes. You need two identical MPPT SCCs, big enough for the following setup.

Take 3 panels, put in series, long edge to long edge, and hookup to one SCC. Take the other 3 panels, put in parallel, long edge to long edge, and hookup to the other SCC. Have both SCCs on battery banks that can take the full charge current.

Ensure both panel setups are next to each at the same tilt and facing the same direction. The only variable here should be the series/parallel arrangement. Show the results of both SCCs. They should be producing basically the same wattage and both should be outputting the same charge voltage and current. That's the baseline.

Now demonstrate shading effects. Block various combinations of cells on both setups at the same time and note the changes at both controllers. I think the following tests would give interesting results:

- Block one cell in one panel in both setups.
- Block one long row of cells in one panel in both setups.
- Block one short row of cells in one panel in both setups.
- Block one short row of cells across all three panels in both setups. This should give the worse results in both setups I think.
- Simulate some tree shading on both setups. Maybe hold a broom or something a few feet away from the array.

Perhaps repeat the whole set of tests with the panels arranged short edge to short edge.

The primary goal would be to nail down whether the whole idea of putting panels in parallel or series is better when shading is an issue. I think a lot of the old wisdom is from pre-bypass diode panels. None of the videos I've seen show two side-by-side setups to get a real comparison. None of the videos I've seen are methodical in their testing. None use 3 panels, usually just 2 and that's not a valid test for most people.

I think the end results can be summarized to show under what shading conditions series is better and under what shading conditions parallel is better.

It would be a nice technical touch to be able to explain each result. For example, explain why in the series setup, the voltage and current dropped from X to Y when shading Z cells and why in the parallel setup it changed from A to B when shading the same cells.

Maybe a follow-on video comparing the results of a 4S setup and a 2S2P setup but with the 4 panels in the same physical layout (either 1x4 or 2x2). There's a lot of possibilities.

I'm not sure this is the type of video for Will or not, but I'd love to see someone do this :) I'm living mobile and have no way to do this sort of thing myself.
That is right along the lines of my post earlier today!

Back