diy solar

Where should I place my Victron Battery Protect SBP-65

Phil7071

Hi,

phil7071 avatar image

phil7071 asked · 9 hours ago

How does the Battery Protect SBP-65 fit in?​

Hi,

Looking at the schema im a bit confused where to place the SBP-65 in my set-up (its not yet in but added to the schema)

I use 3 ways of charging; Solar, DC-DC from the alternator and via a hook-up (see schema with componens)
where should the SBP-65 be place to be sure that the Inverter (12V->220V) and the main 12V doesn't drain my battery? and secondly is the fuse after the SBP-65 also needed?

The 220V hook-up is isolated from the 12V-220V converter by means of a change-over switch.

I hope you can help for my small camper.

Regards, Michael

Attachments

• Camper_Schema_v2.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The battery protect definitely can't be where you have it currently in that diagram. The only things that should be connected to the "Out" of the battery protect are your basic 12V loads, usually the 12V fuse box. The "in" of the battery protect should be connected to the positive busbar.

The inverter and charge controller should never be connected to the battery protect. The inverter should have its own "low voltage cutoff" settings.

Victron has a few diagrams with battery protects. Go to https://www.victronenergy.com/battery_protect/smart-battery-protect#system-schematics and look at a few of those schematics.

Thanks a lot, I’m happy I shared this. I will change my Schema and check the link you provided. Have a great day.
Michael

dear @Phil7071

remove the inverter from the BatteryProtect path

i made same error as you early on

victron says don’t put inverter on BatteryProtect

inverter will read the voltage itself and turn off as programmed

both batteryprotect and inverter are able to read voltage and react

BatteryProtect intended for DC loads other than inverter

hope this helps and hope the build continues well!

edit: late but anyways have a good one

Great, I looked at these Victron schemas and adjusted mine accordlty.

It tricked me in looking at charging my starting battery via solar, i have that at the moment via a Beaut Solar charger. I havent seen this option yet, other then the via a smart charger via 220V on shore power. I going to look for a solution there, it should only be handy if my camper is parked a long time to triggle charge the starter battery.

Thanks a lot, Michael

Attachments

• Camper_Schema_v3.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 17
That looks better. A couple of other suggestions on your change. These are based on Victron's own schematics which I used to setup my own system. You have:

Positive busbar -> 40A fuse -> battery protect -> switch -> fuse box

Might I suggest you consider (as seen in Victron's schematics):

Positive busbar -> switch -> battery protect -> 40A fuse -> fuse box

The battery protect is actually a switch. Using VictronConnect you can turn the battery protect on and off. This controls the flow of electricity at the "Out" terminal. So having your switch after the battery protect is redundant. Having the switch before the battery protect lets you isolate the battery protect itself.

Having the fuse between the battery protect and fuse box protects the battery protect from too much current draw from the fuse box in addition to protecting the wire.

Thanks a lot, I adapted the change.

Regards, Michael

Attachments

• Camper_Schemav4.pdf
    161.7 KB · Views: 18
Hi Michael, If the solar panel is 305 watts, in theory you could generate over 20 amps. A 100/20 solar controller or even a 100/30 would allow maximum power from the panel.
There is no problem in connecting a panel with greater power than recommended, the controller just limits the current output. Victron recommended panel power, 100/15, 220 watts, 100/20, 290 watts, 100/30 440 watts.

To provide a maintaining charge to the engine battery consider, the Vortonic 3065, this will provide a maintaining charge when the house battery is charged by solar or AC.

Mike

Hi Michael, If the solar panel is 305 watts, in theory you could generate over 20 amps. A 100/20 solar controller or even a 100/30 would allow maximum power from the panel.
There is no problem in connecting a panel with greater power than recommended, the controller just limits the current output. Victron recommended panel power, 100/15, 220 watts, 100/20, 290 watts, 100/30 440 watts.

To provide a maintaining charge to the engine battery consider, the Vortonic 3065, this will provide a maintaining charge when the house battery is charged by solar or AC.

Mike
Thanks a lot Mike,

I found the Victronic in one of the earlier post and added it to the schema.

as the solar papal is laying flat on the roof it will not reach, likely more then 290 Watts so that’s why I went for the 100/20, but we will see ?

have a great day, Michael

Back