Where to Find an Electrician for a Grid-Tie System - Not a Solar Installer

Bananassassin

I am going to DIY my grid-tie system from batteries to inverter and maybe to subpanel. However, I want an electrician to tie into my main panel and the grid. This ensures everything is up to code, proper permits are in place and an overall sanity check. However, I don't want to contact a specialized solar installer because I think those are sketchy and have ulterior motives (financing loans, taking the federal credit for themselves, selling their equipment through a distributor partnership, etc). I simply want an electrician that can get me to the finish line. Any suggestions on how one accomplishes this would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Sugar Land, TX (basically Houston) though I'm not necessarily asking for names, just guidance. Thanks in advance!

Dacflyer

Solar Enthusiast
you should be able to get any electrician to do the job..
everything needs to be properly grounded, , there needs to be a disconnect box between inverter and the meter base. and has to be easily accessible to turn off..
is this going to be a NET METERING, or wholesale solar?
my power co. they made me have a 2nd meter, because they didn't do net metering..
but other than that, it's not difficult
of you do net metering, the inverter will just tie on with a breaker in your panel box as the disconnect..

anadiner

Solar Enthusiast
I am going to DIY my grid-tie system from batteries to inverter and maybe to subpanel. However, I want an electrician to tie into my main panel and the grid. This ensures everything is up to code, proper permits are in place and an overall sanity check. However, I don't want to contact a specialized solar installer because I think those are sketchy and have ulterior motives (financing loans, taking the federal credit for themselves, selling their equipment through a distributor partnership, etc). I simply want an electrician that can get me to the finish line. Any suggestions on how one accomplishes this would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Sugar Land, TX (basically Houston) though I'm not necessarily asking for names, just guidance. Thanks in advance!
Wow tough quest.

I did similar with s mini-split install where had hvac guy to final stage.

This probably depends on how popular solar is in your area. IE) my area its not so finding solar experienced electrician would prob be impossible.

My guess is they will lie and say they can then figure it out. Quite honestly, everybody that sees Im going solar thinks Im getting grants, etc... like Im making money or something (havent applied for squat cuz isnt y I went solar).

So Im saying some will for sure try to gouge. For my area, I would find a solar tech backed by many and major references.

And most of all, get everything... EVERYTHING... in writing.

Dacflyer

Solar Enthusiast
from the inverter to the meter is no different than connecting up any other 240V circuit..
it's not very technical from that point..
he might not know the settings on the inverter etc.. but i'm sure you got the manual, and you might know more at that point..
now from solar panels to inverter is a different thing... but i understand you already did that part...

anadiner

Solar Enthusiast
If your County Code dept is anal lijw mine, u will need a permit and electrician to connect a 240 into the grid.

Actually is a big reason I went completely off-grid with multiple 24Vs (not saying do that - saying my county code dept has serious powerwand issues).

So u have a dilemma: how do u know an electrician is solar educated? And can a solar tech get permits etc?

Guess it comes down to do as much yourself as u can then get estimates, written contract then hold ur nose and get it done.

Good luck with your project

MarkSolar

Solar Enthusiast
I found an electrician to do side jobs through Facebook asking friends for names. Since you want permits I think you'll do better hiring an electrical contractor. They have dedicated staff to do permits, electricians make too much money to do permitting. A contractor will also have people with different expertise, they can send someone who has experience.

Anit767

I’m in the same situation. I have a friend who will install panels on the roof, I will buy the string inverter. I just need an electrician to add a few breakers and wire it up to the panel. We are talking about one hour of work. They are asking $2,000 because they see it as a cash cow.. Someone who isn’t in my city had it done for under $100.

Last edited: