diy solar

diy solar

Where to Find an Electrician for a Grid-Tie System - Not a Solar Installer

Bananassassin

I am going to DIY my grid-tie system from batteries to inverter and maybe to subpanel. However, I want an electrician to tie into my main panel and the grid. This ensures everything is up to code, proper permits are in place and an overall sanity check. However, I don't want to contact a specialized solar installer because I think those are sketchy and have ulterior motives (financing loans, taking the federal credit for themselves, selling their equipment through a distributor partnership, etc). I simply want an electrician that can get me to the finish line. Any suggestions on how one accomplishes this would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Sugar Land, TX (basically Houston) though I'm not necessarily asking for names, just guidance. Thanks in advance!

you should be able to get any electrician to do the job..
everything needs to be properly grounded, , there needs to be a disconnect box between inverter and the meter base. and has to be easily accessible to turn off..
is this going to be a NET METERING, or wholesale solar?
my power co. they made me have a 2nd meter, because they didn't do net metering..
but other than that, it's not difficult
of you do net metering, the inverter will just tie on with a breaker in your panel box as the disconnect..

I am going to DIY my grid-tie system from batteries to inverter and maybe to subpanel. However, I want an electrician to tie into my main panel and the grid. This ensures everything is up to code, proper permits are in place and an overall sanity check. However, I don't want to contact a specialized solar installer because I think those are sketchy and have ulterior motives (financing loans, taking the federal credit for themselves, selling their equipment through a distributor partnership, etc). I simply want an electrician that can get me to the finish line. Any suggestions on how one accomplishes this would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Sugar Land, TX (basically Houston) though I'm not necessarily asking for names, just guidance. Thanks in advance!
Wow tough quest.

I did similar with s mini-split install where had hvac guy to final stage.

This probably depends on how popular solar is in your area. IE) my area its not so finding solar experienced electrician would prob be impossible.

My guess is they will lie and say they can then figure it out. Quite honestly, everybody that sees Im going solar thinks Im getting grants, etc... like Im making money or something (havent applied for squat cuz isnt y I went solar).

So Im saying some will for sure try to gouge. For my area, I would find a solar tech backed by many and major references.

And most of all, get everything... EVERYTHING... in writing.

from the inverter to the meter is no different than connecting up any other 240V circuit..
it's not very technical from that point..
he might not know the settings on the inverter etc.. but i'm sure you got the manual, and you might know more at that point..
now from solar panels to inverter is a different thing... but i understand you already did that part...

If your County Code dept is anal lijw mine, u will need a permit and electrician to connect a 240 into the grid.

Actually is a big reason I went completely off-grid with multiple 24Vs (not saying do that - saying my county code dept has serious powerwand issues).

So u have a dilemma: how do u know an electrician is solar educated? And can a solar tech get permits etc?

Guess it comes down to do as much yourself as u can then get estimates, written contract then hold ur nose and get it done.

Good luck with your project

I found an electrician to do side jobs through Facebook asking friends for names. Since you want permits I think you'll do better hiring an electrical contractor. They have dedicated staff to do permits, electricians make too much money to do permitting. A contractor will also have people with different expertise, they can send someone who has experience.

I’m in the same situation. I have a friend who will install panels on the roof, I will buy the string inverter. I just need an electrician to add a few breakers and wire it up to the panel. We are talking about one hour of work. They are asking $2,000 because they see it as a cash cow.. Someone who isn’t in my city had it done for under $100.

Last edited:
Yes, many solar installers aren't really solar installers, they are finance companies who use solar to tie peoples most valuable asset (your home) up in complex financial tools for a few decades.

Most licensed electricians worth their salt don't want anything to do with "just hooking up" anything installed by someone else. Why would they? Its too often a nightmare of liability and hassle. Plus people who self install things are often bad to work with and very likely to argue with you when you show up to find that what your being asked "to hook up" is so poorly installed that you wouldn't dare ever want to be associated with it.

Most guys working on the side don't have any insurance or licensing.

So now what? Keep looking for a local solar guy. There's a small time guy out there who can do a good job for you. One that doesn't set up at the home shows tying to jam free lobster dinner coupons in everyone's hand that passes by.

I find it best to keep my eye on the "project management triangle", particularly when you are looking to break out of the norm. Sometimes also called the "iron triangle" because it's pretty inflexible. If you want quality fast you are going to pay for it. If you want cheap then you're giving up quality or waiting a long time for it. Etc.

Also called "price - quality - time - pick two".

1647780416429.png

Last edited:
Since you already have the permit taken care of. Finding an electrician to do an hours worth of work should be fairly easy.
Ask your friends.
And try local social media.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. If you don't have the permit, already. You will need a contractor.

It’s been a while since the thread started, any progress?

Have you gone to the ahj and asked if you could pull your own permits, and do the work yourself? In many places, they will make you take a simple test, and then you get the inspection.

I have a similar dilemma. No electrician I have called wants anything to do with something a homeowner has worked on already.

And they also didn’t do solar.

I’m not renting, but the home is zoned as a duplex, so I can’t pull a permit.

If I can’t find anyone, I guess my last option is to get place re-zoned as a single family household. Not sure how easy it would be to get it back to being a duplex in the future if I did that.

I have a similar dilemma. No electrician I have called wants anything to do with something a homeowner has worked on already.

And they also didn’t do solar.

I’m not renting, but the home is zoned as a duplex, so I can’t pull a permit.

If I can’t find anyone, I guess my last option is to get place re-zoned as a single family household. Not sure how easy it would be to get it back to being a duplex in the future if I did that.
Yeah, if it’s a duplex, homeowners aren’t allowed to pull permits, since renting is the norm with them…
If I was close, I’d happily pull permits and arrange things for you.

I ended up having the work done for $500. That included the necessary hardware (Wires, breaker, etc). He mounted the inverter in the garage and the disconnect outdoors near the meter. He also ran conduit.
How did you find the electrician?

I just called around. $100 per hour is typical in my area.

I was close to net zero last month. Total cost was around $6500 for everything - panels, inverter, wire, install, etc.
I keep sinking money into solar and haven't found a way to get it installed yet, but I keep learning more and more. Currently am considering applying for my own contractor's license and insurance. I may just pay monthly and then discontinue once it is installed. Need to find an electrician though.

How much work did the electrician have to do?

I keep sinking money into solar and haven't found a way to get it installed yet, but I keep learning more and more. Currently am considering applying for my own contractor's license and insurance. I may just pay monthly and then discontinue once it is installed. Need to find an electrician though.

How much work did the electrician have to do?
my last post said $500, but it was $400 for the hardware (Wires, breaker, etc) and labor. He mounted the inverter in the garage and the disconnect outdoors near the meter. He also ran conduit.

my last post said $500, but it was $400 for the hardware (Wires, breaker, etc) and labor. He mounted the inverter in the garage and the disconnect outdoors near the meter. He also ran conduit.
So you got a licensed electrician to pull a permit, sign off on your work, sign off on the net metering application, and do so some work for $100?

So you got a licensed electrician to pull a permit, sign off on your work, sign off on the net metering application, and do so some work for $100?
Nope, I did all the paperwork myself. The electrician did the labor - mount inverter, run conduit, install breaker for $400.

did you read the comment you quoted in your post?

Last edited:
I am in the same boat - big plans, equipment on the way, and I went to do the interconnection agreement with Duke and get a permit from the county and both want a licensed electrician to take responsibility for it. It is perfectly legal for homeowners to do electrical work in NC (with permit and inspections) so this blindsided me. I was just expecting to need an electrician to do some work at the meter (I have to change the connection there), but now it it getting complicated and I have no idea how to find one that is familiar with solar. I can do all the paperwork for the permit, although the electrician has to sign it (notarized!). What a pain.

Chatham/Orange/Alamance county area of NC (Chapel Hill and Pittsboro are nearby) in case somebody actually knows someone local to me.

Any ideas beyond calling every one I can find until I get a bite?

Thanks!

Back