diy solar

diy solar

Where to find images used in marine wiring diagrams

Atomvoyager

I've seen some wring diagrams here and wonder where people are getting their marine wiring component images to insert into diagrams.net (draw.io).
Here's one from another thread for example:Electrique schema 400W.jpg

I simply do a search on the web for the component an copy the image.
A lot of times I find the image on a site selling the item. Sometimes I select images in the google search or duckduckgo search to find what I want
1632007763710.png1632008192038.png

I always try to find an image with a pure white background.

I have three different ways to copy the image once I find it.

1) Right click on the image and there is usually a 'copy image' or 'save image' selection.

1632007978973.png

2) My favorite way to grab the image is to use the windows snipping tool (It ships with windows). It allows you to copy a section of your screen. I then just past it into the app I am using.

3) The 3rd method is to do a screen shot. In windows, press the windows key and the prtScr key and it will put an image of the screen into the screenshot folder in your pictures folder. (I rarely use this method)

Edit Changed ms pain to MS Paint below (Was that a Froidian slip?)
Sometimes the images I find need cropping or things blanked out. I don't have photoshop so I will put it into powerpoint and then use white boxes to cover stuff I need blanked out. I then use the Windows snipping tool to get a copy of the modified image. In a few cases I have had to use MS Paint to modify the image but that is a real PITA.

BTW: I am probably violating a half dozen copyright laws by 'steeling' the images from the web....... I rationalize that I am showing folks how to use the products so the companies won't mind. ;)

BTW: I just discovered a new Windows feature to capture images:

If you press the Windows key and a Shift-S at the same time, it lets you outline a part of the screen to clip and put on the clipboard.

You can then paste the clipped image wherever you want.... including pasting it into a post here on the forum.

Last edited:
Just use an image search (duckduckgo or google image or whatever floats your boat) if you want images.

I'll also sometimes cut/copy from Victron schematics.

Personally I find it cleaner and easier to draw most things in draw.io or whatever drawing app I'm using rather than use images, to me its a bit more visually consistent/streamlined and less cluttered.

Personally I find it cleaner and easier to draw most things in draw.io or whatever drawing app I'm using rather than use images, to me its a bit more visually consistent/streamlined and less cluttered.
I used to do that and, for my own drawings, still do. However, I have found that with a lot of people, showing the image can make the difference between understanding the schematic and just seeing a bunch of lines and boxes.

Reactions: Dzl
I used to do that and, for my own drawings, still do. However, I have found that with a lot of people, showing the image can make the difference between understanding the schematic and just seeing a bunch of lines and boxes.
That is a good point, when it comes drawings for others, especially others who may not be as familiar with the basic symbols or conventions, a simple conceptual diagram with pictures can be easier to communicate.

Back