diy solar

diy solar

Where to locate DC-DC charger for Truck / Trailer

tbuechner

Just an average Joe that like solar
I need a few opinion so that I can figure out pros and cons of where to locate my DC-DC charger that will charge my lithium batteries in my trailer from my truck while driving.

My truck has a 300A alternator. I am installing a 560A lithium battery bank in my trailer (yes a bit of an overkill but I like using power when I want to). I plan on running dedicated cable (at least 4ga) from the truck battery to the trailer lithium batteries with the DC-DC charger in the middle somewhere. Probably 40A or greater DC-DC charger. There will be a quick disconnect at the bumper.

The question is where to locate the DC-DC charger?

1) I could locate it on the truck somewhere (not much room under the hood) but then it is extra hardware on the truck all the time (I am not a full-time RV). I will also have some voltage drop from the truck to the lithium batteries.

2) I could locate it on the trailer close to the lithium batteries. This would keep the extra hardware off the truck and avoid the voltage drop to the lithium batteries.

Any thoughts on one option verse the other?

If it was me, the DC-DC charger would be in the trailer. The closer the DC-DC charger is to the LiFePO4 battery, the better is can see what voltage the battery is currently at. I have room in my trailer, no room on the truck. That's about all I can think of.

Typically the charger should be installed in a ventilated area that is protected from moisture and dust.

I'm thinking aof putting a box in the bed of my truck, and putting a battery and chargers in there. Then when I get a newer truck most of the stuff will swap over easy.

I'm planning on around 8kw-10kw in my 5th wheel.

Even though the input leads will have a higher amp draw, than the output side, I would put it closer to the battery pack.
You will have voltage drop from the alternator to the B2B. That is exactly what the B2B is designed for. It takes the sloppy 12ish volt input and steps it up to the 14.2 volts ur battery needs for effective charging. You don’t want voltage drop between the charger and the battery.

Back