diy solar

diy solar

Where to purchase JBD BMS

This one mentions bluetooth and the app, but on the specs it says Default Basic protection parameters (can be adjusted by us). Does that mean the "default" can be adjusted by them by was can override the parameters with the app, or that those parameters are fixed?

Aren't all of JBD BMS the same as far as software and app go?

This one mentions bluetooth and the app, but on the specs it says Default Basic protection parameters (can be adjusted by us). Does that mean the "default" can be adjusted by them by was can override the parameters with the app, or that those parameters are fixed?

Hi
I think these guys are the manufacturers and shitty web design comes as standard. When you go to buy you have to select either LiFe or LiFePO4 which leads me to believe no one has updated the data sheets. I have used about 10 of these BMS so far, from 4S to 16S and they have all arrived with the correct parameters from factory. I do check every one. Also they are all configurable via the Bluetooth app ( I only use IOS though so can’t say for Android) and there are 2 great apps available from the App Store.

Regards

Hi
I think these guys are the manufacturers and shitty web design comes as standard. When you go to buy you have to select either LiFe or LiFePO4 which leads me to believe no one has updated the data sheets. I have used about 10 of these BMS so far, from 4S to 16S and they have all arrived with the correct parameters from factory. I do check every one. Also they are all configurable via the Bluetooth app ( I only use IOS though so can’t say for Android) and there are 2 great apps available from the App Store.

Regards
Yeah website doesn't look very modern or updated at all, even the copyright in the footer says 2015 (and they could have just set up a time variable... ) anyway what we care about is the BMS.

Did you get all 10 of those from lithiumbatterypcb.com ?
Did you have any problems with them? Do you think standard shipping with "We Paid Tax On Our Side" actually means I don't have to pay any taxes or duties? Not sure where you're from, I need that to be shipped to Europe, I'm from Italy.

A good source for the apps (and yes, you need a newer version of the app for newer BMS):

Different sellers/vendors, they all seem to be the same company:

A good source for the apps (and yes, you need a newer version of the app for newer BMS):

Different sellers/vendors, they all seem to be the same company:

That's great, thanks John. Like most stuff that comes out of China, there seems to be one company that produces and an infinite amount of distributors and it's very hard to navigate through this market.

There's still a good amount of different versions they offer and not easy to understand which one is best through these poorly designed websites (including Aliexpress and Alibaba) but that's what we have to go through to save a few bucks, I guess.

I'm still undecided if going for a single 8S or 2x 4S (12 vs 24V conundrum) but I'm decided with JBD and already asked for a few quotes from Emily of the Alibaba store: shipping to Italy is not cheap and duties are not included so looks like Aliexpress or the other store are cheaper options.

That's great, thanks John. Like most stuff that comes out of China, there seems to be one company that produces and an infinite amount of distributors and it's very hard to navigate through this market.

There's still a good amount of different versions they offer and not easy to understand which one is best through these poorly designed websites (including Aliexpress and Alibaba) but that's what we have to go through to save a few bucks, I guess.

I'm still undecided if going for a single 8S or 2x 4S (12 vs 24V conundrum) but I'm decided with JBD and already asked for a few quotes from Emily of the Alibaba store: shipping to Italy is not cheap and duties are not included so looks like Aliexpress or the other store are cheaper options.

The 4s 150 amp model is rated for use in series up to 80 volts, most are not. As long as you have decent cells, two in series works well for 24v.
I use them myself.

The 4s 150 amp model is rated for use in series up to 80 volts, most are not. As long as you have decent cells, two in series works well for 24v.
I use them myself.

Great to know, but sorry if I didn't explain myself, I meant two 4s in parallel to have two 12V batteries for redundancy instead of a single point of failure of a 24V battery.

I use Contactor Controlling BMS' (Chargery) because I will not trust to FETs.
2P configurations should NOT be done with Bulk Commodity cells, only Matched & Batched ones because cell differentials will play havoc. People do it anyways, regret it and won't fess up to it when it goes wrong.

NB: Most vendors claim "Matched Cells" they are NOT ! They only match the storage voltage & standing storage IR (Internal Resistance) typically with a handheld YR1035+ battery voltage & IR tester.

Properly Matched & Batched cells go through a 3 Cycle process of Full charge to 0% SOC and back up, while sampling the IR & Impedance every 10 minutes or so which is LOGGED and also while under various load C-Rates. When Matched, the cells will behave identically during the operational cycle. A REPORT is provided with Cell Serial Numbers and test results for each.

Ideally when setting batty packs in Parallel like this, you design each to be able to operate as a Standalone take either Full Charge or Discharge loads. As a 280AH cells based pack can handle 280A out and 140A in, I would build it to support 250A Out & 125A In. Basically, build it once and not have to upgrade it later.

IE, all of my battery packs are designed to 300A spec but never see more than 200A draw and even during the Thrash Testing process, I was pulling 250A per pack and even pushed 140A at single packs to edge case test my system (remember remote & rural, can be snowed in for days at a time).

A LURKING GOTCHA !
Relay's used for BMS' are most often Energy Savers because quite honestly relay's can be power pigs, the most common are the Gigavac / Kilovac EVE series which are very reliable and durable. Non Energy savers eat watts for fun and that adds up quite fast. I use the Chargery DCC which was developed with input from a few of us here on this forum. It is Solid State and therefore uses FETS but this is a different animal than just a simple SolidState Contactor.

NOTE ON COLD TEMPS:
LFP does not like charging below freezing 32F/0C. Not all BMS' have Low Temp cutoff. If intended to be used in cold temps, a battery warmer or such needs to exist. Look at it this way, LFP likes the same temp you do with a pair of Jeans & Shirt on (no coat).

I have two 280AH packs which are Bulk Commodity cells.
I have one 280AH pack with Matched & Batched cells.
I have ATM two 175AH packs (recycled EV Grade cells from ShunBin (a total ripoff disaster written up on the forum) ) I will be switching that to one 350AH pack but I am not 100% sure as I am testing another fix for the issues.

Each of my battery packs has a Chargery BMS8T SmartBMS, with a 300A DCC (Smart Solid State Contactor), a QNBBM-8S Active Balancer and a 300A MRBF Fuse per pack.
Where can I buy Chargery BMS8T with DCC solid state contactor?

Hi

Regards
Hi, I ordered a 200A BMS off the "factory" site last week (https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com). Received my order confirmation email, I was just wondering do they send out a shipping notice email when the item has shipped, or should I just expect it to show up in 15-20 days?

Back