diy solar

diy solar

Where to purchase JBD BMS

frthompson

I need to purchase 2 JBD 4S 12v 120a BMS with bluetooth and UART usb com. Anyone have a suggestions where to purchase? Appears they are in stock at Overkill Solar but if I want to try and get them cheaper from China any suggestions? Has anyone used IC GOGOGO store on AliExpress ?

IC Cogogo has a rep, not a good one either.
Go straight to the Horse here: https://dgjbd.en.alibaba.com/collec...jG&filterSimilar=true&filter=null&isGallery=N

BTW: you WILL have to open a Chat/Messenger to get an Accurate Quote. Do not worry about MOQ, they will sell you two units. Also many people are fearful to ask, but express shipping a small BMS by courier is not that expensive. But if you have time, std shipping is 8-12 weeks.

IF you will hit 120A I strongly urge you to look at 150A BMS to provide elbow room (derating).
FET Based BMS are identified by their Edge Limits. They use MosFETS for control of energy flow and dissipate energy (making heat).

IF you choose a Relay/Contactor model BMS they are typically more reliable but should also be slightly over rated. These do not generate much heat, and with Energy Saver Relays or SolidState Contactors can be quite efficient. The Relay/Contactor is what deals with teh amperage throughput taking the work to where it belongs.

FYI, EV's and Heavy Load systems all use Relays, for good reason.

Typically, we say 250A Draw from a Battery Bank is the Max Threshold for a system. (Excluding surge potential)
12V @ 250A = 3000W, 24V @ 250A = 6000W, 48V @ 250A = 12,000W (uncorrected for inverter inneficiency)
12V @ 120A = 1440W uncorrected.

Good Luck, hope it helps.

Thanks Steve, very helpful. I had looked at the Alibaba site and was concerned about the MOQ, so good to know. I am putting two 12v 280ah battery packs built from eve cells in parallel, each with their own 120 (or 150)a BMS in my travel trailer. My maximum expected continuous draw is probably 150a (with air conditioner on) but will be much less 99% of the time. So I thought 2 120a BMS would cover that safely? I am intrigued about the possibility of Relay/Contactor model BMS so if you or anyone else could share links to examples and the relay or contactor needed based on by description above that would be great!

And if I went with a 2P4S configuration with a relay/contactor BMS I could go with a single higher amp BMS (perhaps 300a), correct?

I use Contactor Controlling BMS' (Chargery) because I will not trust to FETs.
2P configurations should NOT be done with Bulk Commodity cells, only Matched & Batched ones because cell differentials will play havoc. People do it anyways, regret it and won't fess up to it when it goes wrong.

NB: Most vendors claim "Matched Cells" they are NOT ! They only match the storage voltage & standing storage IR (Internal Resistance) typically with a handheld YR1035+ battery voltage & IR tester.

Properly Matched & Batched cells go through a 3 Cycle process of Full charge to 0% SOC and back up, while sampling the IR & Impedance every 10 minutes or so which is LOGGED and also while under various load C-Rates. When Matched, the cells will behave identically during the operational cycle. A REPORT is provided with Cell Serial Numbers and test results for each.

Ideally when setting batty packs in Parallel like this, you design each to be able to operate as a Standalone take either Full Charge or Discharge loads. As a 280AH cells based pack can handle 280A out and 140A in, I would build it to support 250A Out & 125A In. Basically, build it once and not have to upgrade it later.

IE, all of my battery packs are designed to 300A spec but never see more than 200A draw and even during the Thrash Testing process, I was pulling 250A per pack and even pushed 140A at single packs to edge case test my system (remember remote & rural, can be snowed in for days at a time).

A LURKING GOTCHA !
Relay's used for BMS' are most often Energy Savers because quite honestly relay's can be power pigs, the most common are the Gigavac / Kilovac EVE series which are very reliable and durable. Non Energy savers eat watts for fun and that adds up quite fast. I use the Chargery DCC which was developed with input from a few of us here on this forum. It is Solid State and therefore uses FETS but this is a different animal than just a simple SolidState Contactor.

NOTE ON COLD TEMPS:
LFP does not like charging below freezing 32F/0C. Not all BMS' have Low Temp cutoff. If intended to be used in cold temps, a battery warmer or such needs to exist. Look at it this way, LFP likes the same temp you do with a pair of Jeans & Shirt on (no coat).

I have two 280AH packs which are Bulk Commodity cells.
I have one 280AH pack with Matched & Batched cells.
I have ATM two 175AH packs (recycled EV Grade cells from ShunBin (a total ripoff disaster written up on the forum) ) I will be switching that to one 350AH pack but I am not 100% sure as I am testing another fix for the issues.

Each of my battery packs has a Chargery BMS8T SmartBMS, with a 300A DCC (Smart Solid State Contactor), a QNBBM-8S Active Balancer and a 300A MRBF Fuse per pack.

IF you will hit 120A I strongly urge you to look at 150A BMS to provide elbow room (derating).
FET Based BMS are identified by their Edge Limits. They use MosFETS for control of energy flow and dissipate energy (making heat).
Hi

I See they now have a 200amp constant charge / discharge -

Regards

Last edited:
2P configurations should NOT be done with Bulk Commodity cells, only Matched & Batched ones because cell differentials will play havoc. People do it anyways, regret it and won't fess up to it when it goes wrong.

NB: Most vendors claim "Matched Cells" they are NOT ! They only match the storage voltage & standing storage IR (Internal Resistance) typically with a handheld YR1035+ battery voltage & IR tester.

Properly Matched & Batched cells go through a 3 Cycle process of Full charge to 0% SOC and back up, while sampling the IR & Impedance every 10 minutes or so which is LOGGED and also while under various load C-Rates. When Matched, the cells will behave identically during the operational cycle. A REPORT is provided with Cell Serial Numbers and test results for each.

Ideally when setting batty packs in Parallel like this, you design each to be able to operate as a Standalone take either Full Charge or Discharge loads. As a 280AH cells based pack can handle 280A out and 140A in, I would build it to support 250A Out & 125A In. Basically, build it once and not have to upgrade it later.

IE, all of my battery packs are designed to 300A spec but never see more than 200A draw and even during the Thrash Testing process, I was pulling 250A per pack and even pushed 140A at single packs to edge case test my system (remember remote & rural, can be snowed in for days at a time).

A LURKING GOTCHA !
Relay's used for BMS' are most often Energy Savers because quite honestly relay's can be power pigs, the most common are the Gigavac / Kilovac EVE series which are very reliable and durable. Non Energy savers eat watts for fun and that adds up quite fast. I use the Chargery DCC which was developed with input from a few of us here on this forum. It is Solid State and therefore uses FETS but this is a different animal than just a simple SolidState Contactor.

NOTE ON COLD TEMPS:
LFP does not like charging below freezing 32F/0C. Not all BMS' have Low Temp cutoff. If intended to be used in cold temps, a battery warmer or such needs to exist. Look at it this way, LFP likes the same temp you do with a pair of Jeans & Shirt on (no coat).

I have ATM two 175AH packs (recycled EV Grade cells from ShunBin (a total ripoff disaster written up on the forum) ) I will be switching that to one 350AH pack but I am not 100% sure as I am testing another fix for the issues.

Each of my battery packs has a Chargery BMS8T SmartBMS, with a 300A DCC (Smart Solid State Contactor), a QNBBM-8S Active Balancer and a 300A MRBF Fuse per pack.

A LURKING GOTCHA !

NOTE ON COLD TEMPS:

Steve I have 8 Eve 280 ah cells on the way from Amy so I will have grade A matched cells, in fact I have the test results and they look great. I have been mostly looking into setting this up as 2 12 v 4s batteries each with its own JBD 150 a bms. I will be using these batteries with a Victron mppt SCC and multiplus 3000 inverter-charger, so the rest of my equipment is top notch. You seem to be the Chargery expert on the forum, so if I set my batteries up as 2p4s and went with a single Chargery bms and needed up to 200 a continuous draw, what exactly would I need to purchase to set up a Chargery BMS?

Steve I have 8 Eve 280 ah cells on the way from Amy so I will have grade A matched cells, in fact I have the test results and they look great. I have been mostly looking into setting this up as 2 12 v 4s batteries each with its own JBD 150 a bms. I will be using these batteries with a Victron mppt SCC and multiplus 3000 inverter-charger, so the rest of my equipment is top notch. You seem to be the Chargery expert on the forum, so if I set my batteries up as 2p4s and went with a single Chargery bms and needed up to 200 a continuous draw, what exactly would I need to purchase to set up a Chargery BMS?
If doing 4S a BMS8T-300A because the battery CAN output 280A and with 12V@250A=3000W that is the CAP as to where can go honestly.
You will want the external power adapter and power the BMS from battery terminals and do not rely on the BMS Harness providing power (causes a minor flutter). the 300A DCC is also suggested due to very low power consumption is only $89 USD, SPECIFY COMMON PORT or SEPARATE PORT.

Amy @ Luyuan Carries the Chargery Products (they are across the road more or less) and could have shipped at same time saving some courier costs. They are listed on the Luyuan site.

They are not for everyone some hate them some love em, I like mine, have 5 and no issues that hamper me in my setup. You can see that in my "About my System" link at the top of my signature. with a pile of other info too.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

JBD also has an Aliexpress store, not just Alibaba. I confirmed with JBD that this is their store.

I would look at their 150A rather than 120A. It is just as good.

Hi

I See they now have a 200amp constant charge / discharge -

Regards
Yes, also notice that high cell voltage protection is set at 3.85v and can be changed by the factory (not you). No thanks.

All the parameters can be changed via the Bluetooth app on via the canbus connection.
The 200 amp model you linked to makes no mention of Bluetooth or canbus. Are you talking about a different model?
The spec sheet for the 200 amp model is very clear. If it is wrong, they should probably change it.

I'm not interested in any model with 3.85v as overvoltage, and 2.3v as undervoltage.

Yeah that particular version does NOT say "Smart" nor is there any mention of BT/CAN etc. Wonder why they would have LifePo4 set at 3.85 OV?

I strongly suggest looking at as they just received a hefty shipment

JBD also has an Aliexpress store, not just Alibaba. I confirmed with JBD that this is their store.

I would look at their 150A rather than 120A. It is just as good.

I placed an order on their Aliexpress store 3 weeks ago and when I inquired as to why it had not yet shipped last week they just cancelled my order with no explanation. No clue as to how I am supposed to get my refund as it will not let me open a dispute.

Yeah that particular version does NOT say "Smart" nor is there any mention of BT/CAN etc. Wonder why they would have LifePo4 set at 3.85 OV?
A couple of years ago, a larger voltage range was recommended as safe by the manufacturers. I assume minor tweaks in the formulation and experience has led to the tighter voltage recommended. It simply means they haven't updated the programmed voltages in years.

I placed an order on their Aliexpress store 3 weeks ago and when I inquired as to why it had not yet shipped last week they just cancelled my order with no explanation. No clue as to how I am supposed to get my refund as it will not let me open a dispute.
Did you end up getting a refund? Where did you get your BMS in the end?

Back