diy solar

diy solar

Where to start in UK

BillyDee

I wish to build my own Hybrid system here for a summer lodge in our woodland. I say Hybrid as i fear in the winter months i wont have enough Solar power in Southern Uk (Dorset) to supply heating and other requirements during the day. The rest i would draw from the grid. The other issue is we are about 200metres from the main supply so that's a large cable i want to avoid if possible due to cost of purchase.

I have good Electrical knowledge so am keen to handle most parts myself (apart from safety certification)

The building will be 6m x 4m in size single story.
It will require power for a 2kw heater in the winter
A small hob and heated water.

If anyone could point me to UK resources or places or recommended system/invertor. I think so far ive managed to work out i LiFePo4 cells seem to be the way forward and safe also?

Thankyou for listening.

Welcome to the forums!

The #1 place to start is an Energy Audit. That will tell you if what you're thinking of building will do the job you need it to do or if you have to go back to the drawing board. Even if you're size constrained it'll tell you what you can get so you know if it's worth doing or if you'd be better served with an alternative like a generator or replacing power consumers with lower consumption models. The FAQ section has a lot of sample calculations that can help you out with other stuff.

I wish to build my own Hybrid system... 200metres from the main supply ...
Given the distance to the grid connection and the additional cost of a hybrid inverter, you may want to compare that cost scenario against an isolated off-grid system.

If anyone could point me to UK resources or places or recommended system/invertor.
I started with a diagram, then listed out the parts (e.g., panels, racking, mppt, batteries, inverters, breakers, wires) in a spreadsheet and then put prices from a single source as a baseline to work it all out. From there I bargain hunted and replaced urls to the best components/prices. Then my wife convinced me falling off the roof would void all the savings ;-)

Last edited:
I wish to build my own Hybrid system here for a summer lodge in our woodland. I say Hybrid as i fear in the winter months i wont have enough Solar power in Southern Uk (Dorset) to supply heating and other requirements during the day. The rest i would draw from the grid. The other issue is we are about 200metres from the main supply so that's a large cable i want to avoid if possible due to cost of purchase.
Hybrid means you want to sell power to utility.
What you want is an off-grid (with grid support) inverter :)

If you want that grid support, to have an AC backup line from grid ... you will need that 200m cable.
I just dig a 40m x 1m ditch for a NYYJ 4x16mm2 CU ground cable ... was not fun :LOL:

I have good Electrical knowledge so am keen to handle most parts myself (apart from safety certification)

The building will be 6m x 4m in size single story.
It will require power for a 2kw heater in the winter
A small hob and heated water.
You need to consider the equipments you want to use there.
If something with an electric motor needs a big inrush then you have to take it under consideration and choose a bigger inverter

I would say an 5kW inverter would be enough if you do not use together the heater, the water heater and like a micro or a pump in the same time (in total off-grid mode with no grid).
With grid you can do cost lowering too, like what you produce on PV + battery lowers your grid cost (only use the grid a bit as a backup).

If anyone could point me to UK resources or places or recommended system/invertor. I think so far ive managed to work out i LiFePo4 cells seem to be the way forward and safe also?
As safe as the person who builds the pack understands it ... and follows common sense and some special things.
Check the new Up in smoke... learn from my mistake! topic for previous builders faults.

Back