diy solar

diy solar

Where to start in UK

BillyDee

I wish to build my own Hybrid system here for a summer lodge in our woodland. I say Hybrid as i fear in the winter months i wont have enough Solar power in Southern Uk (Dorset) to supply heating and other requirements during the day. The rest i would draw from the grid. The other issue is we are about 200metres from the main supply so that's a large cable i want to avoid if possible due to cost of purchase.

I have good Electrical knowledge so am keen to handle most parts myself (apart from safety certification)

The building will be 6m x 4m in size single story.
It will require power for a 2kw heater in the winter
A small hob and heated water.

If anyone could point me to UK resources or places or recommended system/invertor. I think so far ive managed to work out i LiFePo4 cells seem to be the way forward and safe also?

Thankyou for listening.

If you can use alternatives sources for heating and cooking (wood, propane,...) you probably need just a small solar system for things like lighting. Heating anything electric is going to consume a lot of power and will require more of your system.
In any case, you should make an energy audit first and then use that to design your system around.

I wish to build my own Hybrid system here for a summer lodge in our woodland.
Hybrid is primarily a noise word in most technologies.
In our shared context it usually means exporting power to the grid.
I don't think you want to do that.
I think you want an inverter/charger with automatic transfer switch.

I say Hybrid as i fear in the winter months i wont have enough Solar power in Southern Uk (Dorset) to supply heating and other requirements during the day
Sounds like you want mains power as a supplement.
Electric heating is a big ask for solar.

. The rest i would draw from the grid. The other issue is we are about 200metres from the main supply so that's a large cable i want to avoid if possible due to cost of purchase.
Another alternative is a ice generator to supplement your solar.

The heater and the heated water are big asks for solar.
As has been already said start with an energy audit.

How long do you think a 47kg Gas bottle will last heating a Celotex insulated 6mx4m insulated building? Water for showers and 2 small radiators? in average ~UK winter i guess from end of Sep to April.

I wish to build my own Hybrid system here for a summer lodge in our woodland. I say Hybrid as i fear in the winter months i wont have enough Solar power in Southern Uk (Dorset) to supply heating and other requirements during the day. The rest i would draw from the grid. The other issue is we are about 200metres from the main supply so that's a large cable i want to avoid if possible due to cost of purchase.

I have good Electrical knowledge so am keen to handle most parts myself (apart from safety certification)

The building will be 6m x 4m in size single story.

If anyone could point me to UK resources or places or recommended system/invertor. I think so far ive managed to work out i LiFePo4 cells seem to be the way forward and safe also?

Thankyou for listening.
One thing to watch out for. Many inverters use a communications cable to read the battery cell's state of charge and I couldn't find an inverter to work with my "home made" battery pack. If you want to buy an inverter/battery kit, I'd recommend Midsummer wholesale in the UK.
They have everything you will need and offer good advice.

For heating water - if you have a water tank get an iBoost. It only heats the water when you are generating solar energy.

My other advice - insulation, insulation and more insulation. My son lives in a cabin in our back garden and 2x 500w panel heaters keep him cosy in winter. If you don't mind a bit of fan noise take a look at the electriQ heat pump. Easy to install cools and heats.

Back