diy solar

diy solar

Where to start to add incremental battery storage to grid-tied system with IQ7 microinverters?

jcdesenhaf

My 4kW solar panels are using IQ7 microinverters to tie into the grid. I'd like to add incremental battery storage that

1) optimizes for time of use and
2) provides some power for outages

Limitations and preferences:
  • I am space limited on the exterior walls near my load center. There is no room for a vertically mounted battery system like Powerwall, Enphase, or similar. My strong preference is to use an area under my deck (next to the load center) for adding battery storage incrementally. I have plenty of space for batteries that are wider than tall, e.g., a dozen of most BCI group sizes would fit well.
  • For my system to work, I'd prefer not to have to be dependent on continuous Enphase/Tesla/SunPower internet connectivity or monthly fees. I don't mind paying for setup or occasional system checks.

Motivation: I have been running my own isolated 300w solar to 400ah battery system to a 2kW inverter to run our offices and fridge during power outages and it's been wonderful to not worry or stop working (or lose food) when the power is out -- which is more and more often. Also we are paying $0.77 per kWh here and it's just increasing. I have a Tesla EV and I'd like to start using less natural gas.

I'm happy to pay for good equipment, local permits, and licensed installers. Only down side is that my local installers are booked for a year, and the Enphase system is looking to be about $36,000, which enters the financial pain point. The Enphase system is vertical mount only.

I'm also happy to install some of this myself. I was apprentice electrician as a teenager and know to exceed NEC requirements. But I do not know solar intricacies such as AC-coupling factors, solar-specific safety. I like the idea of safely adding sections of EV batteries or banks of batteries over time, out of sight and utilizing the areas under my deck. I don't like the idea of constantly having to tweak [frequency etc] settings to ensure the microinverters are 'fooled' properly as some posts here hint might be necessary.

So if there was a turnkey system that worked with my IQ7s and allowed incremental addition of horizontally installed battery storage, I'd love to learn about it.

Where to start?

Last edited:
I’m just trying to follow to learn. I have 27 IQ8 micro-inverters that lead to an Enphase Combiner 4 box. I need to figure out how to add batteries without buying Enphase controller.

Back