diy solar

diy solar

Where would you add solar to this?

RichO

I am upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries and rewiring my system and plan to stop using the Trace C40 C.C. for hydro that has served me well for over 20yrs. Would like to incorporate a couple solar panels using the old controller. What you would do with this?

Hydro Wiring.png

Why are you retiring the C40?
It looks like you are going to use a chatter relay where the C40 used to be.... but I don't see a proper control of it (BTW: I would Much prefer the C40 of a relay).

That is a great question. I can't see the need for the C-40 with the smart shunt relay, and smart bms. I can simply set my charge on a timer via smart shunt then the bms should top balance no?
edit* Would like to use the C-40 to add a couple panels to this system.

Last edited:
OK.... I see now. I am not familar with the smart-shunt relay but it must open the relay at some predetermined voltage. Does it have anything to dampen down chatter where the relay opens, the voltage drops, the relay closes and the voltage goes back up... and so on?

The C-series controllers have 3 different operating modes, but I have only ever used it for a dump load controller for hydro. You would need to get the manual to see what mode would be best for Solar.

Without doing more research on the C40, I can't say definitivly, but if you use the the C40 for solar, in the diagram above it would probably be best to connect it to the right terminal of the shunt and the battery negative.

This isn't exactly your setup but... it shows that the core system components are generally in parallel.
simple-rv-dc(1).png

Didn't see in mention of chatter in the smart shunt specs. Do you think it might be an issue? Maybe an SSR?

Didn't see in mention of chatter in the smart shunt specs. Do you think it might be an issue? Maybe an SSR?
It all depends on the logic in the smart shunt.

A lot of windmill systems use relays with a voltage sense to turn them on and off. It is a fairly cheap way to go, but some of them tend to chatter when the batteries get full. All of them have a tendency to wear out after a while and chatter will accelerate that. (That is why I would stick with the C40 if I had a choice)

Yeah I agree about the windmill type relay. But am going to try this new shunt for awhile and see what it can do. I have been really happy using the C40 for my (very stable) hydro and lead acid batts...just think it's time (fun) to try some new tech/batts. I can always switch back to the C40. Do you see any pitfalls? Don't think I will blow anything up. lol

Yeah, thats the one I have ordered...not much info out there on them though.

From the manual "Highvoltage disconnect.This function issimilar tothe low voltage disconnect,but as the name suggests it will disconnect the load when the voltage goes above the disconnect threshold and will reconnect the load when the voltage goes below the reconnect threshold. This mode can be used together with the low voltage disconnect. Possible uses are to protect the load from high voltage conditions, start external chargers or generators, connect to the grid and so on." -- https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0156/8492/7536/files/powermon-5s_um.pdf?v=1592355752

This is the link https://www.thornwave.com/collectio...tor-dc-power-meter-with-integrated-500a-shunt
I would not be surprised if it has a hysteresis feature.
That is an interesting peice of kit. A shunt with HI/Low disconnect. I'll have to keep that in mind for possible future builds. I just wish it had a display that would allow me to see SOC at a glace. (I like being able to glance at a meter to get the SOC. Everything else is read seldom enough that pulling out a phone is fine.)

What I did not see in the description is using it as a charge controller. However, I recon it could be used as such. It looks sophisticated enough that it probably has both a High voltage disconnect as well as a recovery voltage. With the design shown, it would connect the turbine to the battery till it hits the high voltage disconnect. When that happens, the turbine would be switched to the dump load till the battery hits the recovery voltage. That would minimize chatter, but you still have a mechanical relay switching on and off.

Thanks for the number! I am waiting for delivery to test. Looks very promising to me.

That is an interesting peice of kit. A shunt with HI/Low disconnect. I'll have to keep that in mind for possible future builds. I just wish it had a display that would allow me to see SOC at a glace.
It has a bluetooth app.
(I like being able to glance at a meter to get the SOC. Everything else is read seldom enough that pulling out a phone is fine.)

What I did not see in the description is using it as a charge controller. However, I recon it could be used as such. It looks sophisticated enough that it probably has both a High voltage disconnect as well as a recovery voltage.
It does.
With the design shown, it would connect the turbine to the battery till it hits the high voltage disconnect. When that happens, the turbine would be switched to the dump load till the battery hits the recovery voltage. That would minimize chatter, but you still have a mechanical relay switching on and off.
The company also offers high current SSRs.
I am also quite interested in Thornwave's product portfolio.

Before I knew about Thornwave, I made an external charge controller for an rv converter using a Victron smart battery protect and an IOT relay.

The company also offers high current SSRs.
Those are 'Interesting'
1632089530846.png
They don't look like they could handle 100/80A. If they really can do what they claim they are pretty interesting.
I would be a bit hesitant to use them with a turbine for fear of voltage spikes, but I guess you could use a zenor diode to dampen any spikes.

For the OPs design, you would need two of them one to rout to the battery and one to rout power to the dump load. (I would need to think about how you would get an inverse signal to control the one to the battery)

I was going to try those in a SPDT config but decided to just go mech for ease.

@ FilterGuy
Forgot to mention my C40 was limiting my hydro to 30amps...and I have bigger hydro ambitions. ? So if upgrading CC and batts, might as well try something new with a controller NOT tailored for solar. So much out there now!

Back