diy solar

diy solar

Which <£400 3kw inverter? (12v/230v)

Aphers

I've narrowed this down to ??three models.
- Epever Ipower Plus. £375. I like the recognisable brand name, and the totally configurable LVD settings. Downside is apparent lack of remote, few reviews available. https://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid...ver-3000w-12v-inverter?sort=p.price&order=ASC
- Vevor low-frequency. £312. Seems an excellent price for a LF, with all the benefits that brings. https://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid...ver-3000w-12v-inverter?sort=p.price&order=ASC
- Giandel, £400. I know lots of people have these, even Will Prowse likes them. But on paper there's not much to distinguish it from other cheap inverters.

As an aside, how much does the weight of the thing matter? The Giandel seems flimsy (6.2kg); the Epever is a more manly at 10.5kg, and the LF Vevor is a whopping 24.5kg.

For context, this would be used to power intermittent loads on a boat. Induction hob, laser printer, vacuum cleaner, microwave, kettle. Nothing that would be left running for long periods. I would expect to manually monitor the battery voltage and stop using the inverter when it started to dip too low (so as to leave enough power for the background DC loads like lights and fridge). I will probably use an Overkill BMS and would need to have a relay to shut off the inverter.

OK so I've done a bit more research on that cheap LF unit. An alarming number of bad reviews, mostly centering around the seller's poor customer service. So although it sounds tempting, I think I'll give it a miss.

There's a similar offering from the fairly reputable Photonic Universe, but it's a lot more expensive at £500- https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en...-wave-off-grid-inverter-peak-power-9000W.html

At that price I'm half way to a Victron.

I have to say that the Giandel seems to get incredibly good reviews. On paper it is nothing special- it's lightweight, and looks identical to cheaper unbranded units. But I'm veering towards it...

@Aphers where were these bad reviews of the Vevor inverter charger? curious to see what the main gripes are...

I wasn't really considering this as an option, but on a whim I sent them an email asking for the manual. They sent me a manual within hours. The features, interface, and layout are essentially identical to the Renogy inverter charger (I was expecting the more limited features of the many sigineer units at best). It's either a very good clone or made by the same OEM (I tend to think the latter?).

So it went from definitely not on my list to something that might actually do everything I need for occasional use in a home backup power system.

It also has programmable charge voltages, and a lithium charge mode that will shut off charging completely when a target voltage is reached, then restart charging under another programmable voltage. This seems to be one level more functionality than most cheap options.

@Aphers where were these bad reviews of the Vevor inverter charger? curious to see what the main gripes are...

I wasn't really considering this as an option, but on a whim I sent them an email asking for the manual. They sent me a manual within hours. The features, interface, and layout are essentially identical to the Renogy inverter charger (I was expecting the more limited features of the many sigineer units at best). It's either a very good clone or made by the same OEM (I tend to think the latter?).

So it went from definitely not on my list to something that might actually do everything I need for occasional use in a home backup power system.

It also has programmable charge voltages, and a lithium charge mode that will shut off charging completely when a target voltage is reached, then restart charging under another programmable voltage. This seems to be one level more functionality than most cheap options.

The bad reviews were on Amazon, where I found what appeared to be exactly the same product for sale. I can't actually remember if it was labelled Vevor or not but it was very clearly from the same design/manufaturer- identical photos and specs.

The Vevor inverters are cheap chinese knockoff's of MPP equipment. I just had one go dead short across the battery terminals and they are giving me the run around. Not a trust worthy company I am afraid.

Just to update, I went with the Epever inverter. I haven't run it at full power yet but so far I'm very happy with it.

Back