diy solar

diy solar

Which BMS offer data over Modbus/MQTT/LAN?

hummmingbear

I'm setting up a LiFePO4 battery system (2P8S X 3) and like many post's here I'm trying to find which BMS I should go for. I use HomeAssistant to monitor many off my off-grid systems including my current solar/battery setup. Since I'm switching to Lifepo I'd like whichever BMS I choose to easily integrate with HomeAssistant. If it has a direct integration that's great, but if it has data over MQTT/Modbus/HTTP or something else I can manually configure HA to read from those as well.

+1 For anyone who can tell me the benefits of connecting my BMS to communicate with my Victron system. I've seen this post by Batrium but it's unclear to me what the benefits are of integrating my BMS into VenusOS.

The two companies I've looked at are Batrium and Daly. Any input much appreciated, thank you!

I am using the electrodacus BMS0, it does do MQTT. I would like to integrate it with HomeAssistant as well, but I have not looked into this any further, so I do not know if there is a working interface for that.

I am using the electrodacus BMS0, it does do MQTT. I would like to integrate it with HomeAssistant as well, but I have not looked into this any further, so I do not know if there is a working interface for that.
Ah, if it has MQTT you can just point your HA to read values from the device over MQTT. Not to difficult. Install MQTT on the device, then you can just create multiple sensors that point to the different paths you want for values
YAML:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "AC Loads"
    unique_id: ac_loads
    device_class: power
    state_topic: "N/b827eb57c4de/system/0/Ac/Consumption/L1/Power"
    value_template: '{{ value_json.value }}'
    unit_of_measurement: "W"
    scan_interval: 1
    icon: mdi:power-socket-uk

It also looks like you can flash the ESP32 on the electrodacus BMS with custom firmware to more easily get data out of it. Folks talking about it here

Thanks for the share, I'll checkout electrodacus

Ah, if it has MQTT you can just point your HA to read values from the device over MQTT. Not to difficult. Install MQTT on the device, then you can just create multiple sensors that point to the different paths you want for values
YAML:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "AC Loads"
    unique_id: ac_loads
    device_class: power
    state_topic: "N/b827eb57c4de/system/0/Ac/Consumption/L1/Power"
    value_template: '{{ value_json.value }}'
    unit_of_measurement: "W"
    scan_interval: 1
    icon: mdi:power-socket-uk

It also looks like you can flash the ESP32 on the electrodacus BMS with custom firmware to more easily get data out of it. Folks talking about it here

Thanks for the share, I'll checkout electrodacus
If you do have it working with the SBMS0, I would love to hear how you did it.

If you do have it working with the SBMS0, I would love to hear how you did it.
I don't have a MSBS0 or any BMS yet, hence this post :)

Download the MQTT Explorer app and point it to the IP address and port of your SMBS0. It will give you a list of all the data available. The default port for mqtt is 1883. You won't need a username/pass unless one is set on your SMB. You can then use those paths and points HomeAssistant to it for each sensor you want.

PM me if you have any more questions

It's not off the shelf but I have JBD BMS's and use an ESP32 on each to send data to MQTT on my network in an RV

What data points are you able to pull off the BMS? I'm love ESP's and have no trouble hooking them up.
There's a doc around that lists the info returned by the queries to the BMS. I'm travelling for the winter and my copy is probably home on my server. I looked in my code and I'm pulling the 04 & 05 response data

I've made a project recently that gets data from a Daly BMS and pings it over mqtt, if you're still looking for something ?
Works really nicely so far

I created a containerized docker version of BMS Tools / NodeJBD for ease of use. Working great for integration with my Home Assistant:

Back