diy solar

diy solar

Which BMS to use for DIY 48v Pack to connect to Solis RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G

Hi,

I'm starting the Journey to build a DIY battery and create an AC Coupled System to augment my existing 4kw Solar System.

I have secure 16x200ah LifePo4 Cells, and Bus Bars, they are CALB cells.

My next port of call is to decide on which BMS I want to use, for the Inverter I'm thinking the

Solis RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G​

However I would consider alternatives, what I don't really know is which BMS provides the most compatibility with various AC Coupled inverters, if possible I'd like a BMS that will just "WORK" without re-programming updating firmware or doing other things.

Looks like I probably want an BMS that can do the CAN Pylontech protocol, which from what I've researched is what is needed to work with the Solis.

Any BMS suggestions which are likely to cause me the least amount of problems would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Andy.

Only just seen your posting, so maybe too late, but...

My thoughts...

Have you considered swapping your existing inverter for a Solis RHI 3.6kW hybrid or similar - would be less installation and DNO approval required than adding an RAI?

There are a number of BMS out there that have that capability (JK and Seplos spring to mind) though I don't have any experience of them.

Alternatively if you're into IT as your name implies, you could use a BMS and a little ESP32 based system to link from either the BMS or a smart shunt to provide the necessary CANBus data to the Solis, as others have done. I use an Overkill (=JBD BMS) - if that's of interest, you might want to take a look at Simon's (@sijones2010) project / github code here...

Only just seen your posting, so maybe too late, but...

My thoughts...

Have you considered swapping your existing inverter for a Solis RHI 3.6kW hybrid or similar - would be less installation and DNO approval required than adding an RAI?

There are a number of BMS out there that have that capability (JK and Seplos spring to mind) though I don't have any experience of them.

Alternatively if you're into IT as your name implies, you could use a BMS and a little ESP32 based system to link from either the BMS or a smart shunt to provide the necessary CANBus data to the Solis, as others have done. I use an Overkill (=JBD BMS) - if that's of interest, you might want to take a look at Simon's (@sijones2010) project / github code here...

I would include DIYBMS in that list.... if OP can solder

HI,

Thanks for the reply

I already have a SEPLOS 100a BMS on the Way, with the screen to go with the 16 CALB 200ah cells I have, I believe the SEPLOS should just plug and play with the Solis RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G, and I had the bonus of picking one up cheap off eBay!

I was a little unsure if a Solis RHI 3.6kW would play nicely with my existing 4kw Solar system, which runs PowerOne 3.6 Aurora One Inverter, which is under FIT payments so can't modify that part otherwise I loose my FIT, hence I went down the AC Coupled Storage inverter route.

If the hybrid inverters are an option I could always swap it out at a later point, and maybe if I decide to add some additional panels then I would likely have to switch over to a hybrid inverter, or just charge the battery directly via an MPPT controller, I could always sell on the RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G at this point :)

Andy.

Are you using Stuart's BMS?
wish i had the soldering skills and ability ...
if not for my current full seplos stack, this would be a serious contender, but i'd have to pay someone to do the soldering for me

HI,

Thanks for the reply

I already have a SEPLOS 100a BMS on the Way, with the screen to go with the 16 CALB 200ah cells I have, I believe the SEPLOS should just plug and play with the Solis RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G, and I had the bonus of picking one up cheap off eBay!

I was a little unsure if a Solis RHI 3.6kW would play nicely with my existing 4kw Solar system, which runs PowerOne 3.6 Aurora One Inverter, which is under FIT payments so can't modify that part otherwise I loose my FIT, hence I went down the AC Coupled Storage inverter route.

If the hybrid inverters are an option I could always swap it out at a later point, and maybe if I decide to add some additional panels then I would likely have to switch over to a hybrid inverter, or just charge the battery directly via an MPPT controller, I could always sell on the RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G at this point :)

Andy.
Am currently about to install a rhi solis 6kw for someone, the customer already has 3.68kw on a solar edge system and fit so can't be touched but the design I've done is to put the Solis in and it should use the surplus from solar edge plus the extra solar that's being added to the system.

A extra 3.2kw of solar is being added via the Solis and is obviously not using the full capacity of the solis as an inverter but when the sun is down it will provide 5kw to cover all the loads in the house.

We'll have to see if my design works ?

Am currently about to install a rhi solis 6kw for someone, the customer already has 3.68kw on a solar edge system and fit so can't be touched but the design I've done is to put the Solis in and it should use the surplus from solar edge plus the extra solar that's being added to the system.

A extra 3.2kw of solar is being added via the Solis and is obviously not using the full capacity of the solis as an inverter but when the sun is down it will provide 5kw to cover all the loads in the house.

Just on this last point, the inverter wont actually put out 5kW AC load from the batteries only. The 5k rating is for the PV and Batteries combined.
If you check the spec, you'll see the AC Backup load max is 3kW (or 62.5a@58V is 3.6kW max). So that is what would be provided by the inverter at night.

Just on this last point, the inverter wont actually put out 5kW AC load from the batteries only. The 5k rating is for the PV and Batteries combined.
If you check the spec, you'll see the AC Backup load max is 3kW (or 62.5a@58V is 3.6kW max). So that is what would be provided by the inverter at night.
That is not correct. Whereas the 3.6kW Solis RHI can only output 3kW from battery alone, the 6kW version of the RHI (the one that @sijones2010 mentioned) is rated for 100A and 5kW from battery. See https://www.ginlong.com/rhi_inverter1/1952.html

Hi,

I'm starting the Journey to build a DIY battery and create an AC Coupled System to augment my existing 4kw Solar System.

I have secure 16x200ah LifePo4 Cells, and Bus Bars, they are CALB cells.

My next port of call is to decide on which BMS I want to use, for the Inverter I'm thinking the

Solis RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G​

However I would consider alternatives, what I don't really know is which BMS provides the most compatibility with various AC Coupled inverters, if possible I'd like a BMS that will just "WORK" without re-programming updating firmware or doing other things.

Looks like I probably want an BMS that can do the CAN Pylontech protocol, which from what I've researched is what is needed to work with the Solis.

Any BMS suggestions which are likely to cause me the least amount of problems would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

That is not correct. Whereas the 3.6kW Solis RHI can only output 3kW from battery alone, the 6kW version of the RHI (the one that @sijones2010 mentioned) is rated for 100A and 5kW from battery. See https://www.ginlong.com/rhi_inverter1/1952.html
My bad. looks like I also read an old datasheet. All the RHIs above the 3.6 can do 5k AC from Battery only. Good to know.

Sounds like it should work well - from what I've read elsewhere on here the RHI will charge battery with excess solar that is generated by another inverter. How many kWh of batteries are you adding to it, out of interest?

Sounds like it should work well - from what I've read elsewhere on here the RHI will charge battery with excess solar that is generated by another inverter. How many kWh of batteries are you adding to it, out of interest?
was going to be either 3 x 3.5kwh or 2 4.8kwh pylontech's, single can't cope with the continuous 100A demand.

Have actually canned this project, got to complicated where customer (who's a friend) wanted also a design with solar edge, his dad questioned what i put on a quote (i used a website to give an itemised quote to show pricing difference between solis and solar edge) - knowing i was doing it as a favour but asked why so many isolators were down.

Along with my struggles with health this year has made me take a step back from everything, including coding.

Tried but am too exhausted all the time at the moment.

Have actually canned this project, got to complicated where customer (who's a friend) wanted also a design with solar edge, his dad questioned what i put on a quote (i used a website to give an itemised quote to show pricing difference between solis and solar edge) - knowing i was doing it as a favour but asked why so many isolators were down.
Shame when favours get treated in that way... I gave up helping 'friends' with PC issues years ago - no one seems grateful any more.

Along with my struggles with health this year has made me take a step back from everything, including coding.
Tried but am too exhausted all the time at the moment.
:( so sorry to hear that - take is easy and I hope things pick up soon.

Back