diy solar

diy solar

Which brand 2000W pure sine wave inverter is better for microwave oven?

The Samlex surge duration spec is <8mSec. Will that be enough?
That SAMLEX 2000 PST-12 runs the microwave in my RV for a couple of minutes at a time pushing about 1800 watts to the microwave and pulling about 2100 watts / 155 amps from the battery. I am wired at 4/0. I use my microwave to warm my food for 2minutes 4-6 times a day.

I think it would run as long as my 2.6 kwh useable of battery power would allow it, but I'm a believer that 12 volt systems are for 1000 watt inverters with the exception of brief excursions up to 2000 watts for a couple of minutes at a time about a dozen times spread throughout the day.

Soon my RV will be upgraded to 24 volts with a much bigger battery bank and I won't worry about the microwave.

EDIT: Microwave pulled 135 amps

Last edited:
8mSec is only about 1/2 cycle of 60Hz, so may be your MV does not pull the surge that lasts that long and not up to 3500W of surge.

While I have not tried it on a microwave, my Samlex PST-2000-24 runs my window A/C unit and freezer just fine. I'm happy with my Samlex.

That SAMLEX 2000 PST-12 runs the microwave in my RV for a couple of minutes at a time pushing about 1800 watts to the microwave and pulling about 2100 watts / 155 amps from the battery. I am wired at 4/0. I use my microwave to warm my food for 2minutes 4-6 times a day.

I think it would run as long as my 2.6 kwh useable of battery power would allow it, but I'm a believer that 12 volt systems are for 1000 watt inverters with the exception of brief excursions up to 2000 watts for a couple of minutes at a time about a dozen times spread throughout the day.

Soon my RV will be upgraded to 24 volts with a much bigger battery bank and I won't worry about the microwave.
Is that an 1100W microwave?

Is that an 1100W microwave?
Wish I knew. I used to say 1200 watts, but its physically smaller than another 1200 watt microwave I saw. Bigger than 800 watts. RV is in the shop for repairs now, so I can’t look.

1800 watts that my inverter pulls maxes out a 15 amp 120 volt AC circuit.

The "High Pointe" micro in our trailer is rated 900w cooking and 1350 running watts.....pretty normal RV brand.
The spec plate is on the door or door opening, can't remember which one....
Our 1000 watt inverter will run it for 30 seconds at a time on full power, a Xantrex ProWatt 2000 can boil a litre of water as can a Renogy 2000w HF.... all on 12v.
I would consider the Samlex PST to be more than a few steps above quality wise than my examples...

Last edited:
My Prosine 1800 ran the MW great until it died. Now the GoPower inverter is doing great. I see little to no surge at startup or cycling of the Megatron.

Induction heats the pot. Microwave heats the food. Water and fat. There are many things the induction does better than the microwave. Fry a steak. Fry an egg. Pan fry anything. Slow cooking a big pot of custom tomato sauce, red gravy. Boiling up the pasta to go with. I use the microwave to steam frozen vegetables. Make mashed potatoes from dry potato flakes. Cook Stouffer's Meat Loaf or Stuffed Peppers. Steam in bag new potatoes. MW does a acceptable job with bacon, hotdogs, precooked sausages, and heating leftovers or that rotisserie chicken that took too long getting home from the delli. I guarantee the microwave uses less energy per food item than the induction. It takes more time to cook vegetables in a heated pot than in a microwaved bag. Do some of your own tests before making random guesses.

The "High Pointe" micro in our trailer is rated 900w cooking and 1350 running watts.....pretty normal RV brand.
The spec plate is on the door or door opening, can't remember which one....
Our 1000 watt inverter will run it for 30 seconds at a time on full power, a Xantrex ProWatt 2000 can boil a litre of water as can a Renogy 2000w HF.... all on 12v.
I would consider the Samlex PST to be more than a few steps above quality wise than my examples...
Our microwave in our RV is rated 900W and it pulls 1350W from the batteries on high, so I think your numbers are spot on.

Induction heats the pot. Microwave heats the food. Water and fat. There are many things the induction does better than the microwave. Fry a steak. Fry an egg. Pan fry anything. Slow cooking a big pot of custom tomato sauce, red gravy. Boiling up the pasta to go with. I use the microwave to steam frozen vegetables. Make mashed potatoes from dry potato flakes. Cook Stouffer's Meat Loaf or Stuffed Peppers. Steam in bag new potatoes. MW does a acceptable job with bacon, hotdogs, precooked sausages, and heating leftovers or that rotisserie chicken that took too long getting home from the delli. I guarantee the microwave uses less energy per food item than the induction. It takes more time to cook vegetables in a heated pot than in a microwaved bag. Do some of your own tests before making random guesses.
I totally agree that watt per watt microwaves are way more efficient than resistance heating. The problem is many if not most microwave ovens have a huge current demand when they start, much like a motor. If your inverter can't handle it, it can't handle it.

My Prosine 1800 ran the MW great until it died. Now the GoPower inverter is doing great. I see little to no surge at startup or cycling of the Megatron.

Any experience with Go Power customer support? My understanding is that Go Power inverters are rebadged Cotek.

So far no reason to call. I have the old big heavy box not the new "industrial" line. No special functions, just a stand alone inverter.

My 1100 watt microwave pulls ~1600w. I use a Giandel 2200w pure sine inverter, it was under $300, I've never had a problem with it, and it's been used at it's maximum ratings a good bit. Giandel is definitely is not the best brand out there, but for what I paid, I couldn't be happier with it.

My microwave may have a start surge, but it is not very much. It is a Tiny Motor for a fan and turntable. The Other device in there that makes microwaves doesn't seem to have a surge. My manual states that the correct watt-size Samlex PSW inverter for a microwave is double the cook power watts. I have a 1000w microwave on a 2000w Samlex inverter. No Problem. I use a induction on mains power. I expect the surge and watts needed from an inverter would be the same or close. But, the induction takes many times longer, much many more amp-hours.

My microwave that was run by the SAMLEX PST 12-2000 was a 900 watt microwave. It pulled 135 amps at 12 volts. I did a 24 volt upgrade with a SAMLEX PST 3000-12, and the microwave ended up pulling 65 amps.

Winnebago thought they were giving us "top-notch appliances" with a Sharp Carousel Convection oven, 850w microwave unit. It says it draws 1.5kw on the label. Dear lord, it has its own 120 circuit.
We have hardly ever used it - it's SS inside and looks as new as it did 17 years ago. I could easily live without it.
Now that propane stove and oven....?

And the new RV pundits say griddles and smokers are too extravagant and wasteful. ?

Back