diy solar

diy solar

Which charge controller for 3s2p 175watt Renogy Panels?

blackhandle

I've been looking around at charge controllers for my 1050watt setup with 3s2p 175watt Renogy flexible panels to charge a 272ah Lishen 24v bank to go in a small camper.

I'd like to have bluetooth but it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. I'm hoping to keep costs down but still have something that's really reliable.

Right now it seems like I'm looking at either the Renogy Rover 60A, Victron 150/45, or...? EPEVER maybe ?

To be honest, it seems like there are a plethora of choices out there and a lot of them I don't recognize but I know people here have far more experience with the different charge controllers so I could use some help figuring out which way to go.

Thanks

Assuming it is this one (https://www.renogy.com/175-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/) the specs are:

Maximum Power at STC*: 175 WOperating Temperature: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
Opitmum Operating Voltage: 19.5VOptimum Operating Current: 8.98A
Open-Circuit voltage (Voc): 23.9VShort-Circuit Current (Isc): 9.50A
Dimensions: 59.2x26.5x0.08 inchesWeight: 6.2 lbs

3*19.5V = 58.5V, comfortably above the voltage required for a 24V battery I think, although if one of them gets shaded that could drop. But let's assume you park somewhere sunny. For PV side you only need 9A * 2 = 18A, and 23.9V * 3 * (1.2x cold temperature overrating) = 86Voc. However, 6 * 175W / 24V = 43.75A into the battery if it is at 24V, so you would want the 50A model. So you could get the Victron MPPT 100|50. The "SmarSolar" one has bluetooth, the "BlueSolar" one does not (both are blue in color). EDITED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming it is this one (https://www.renogy.com/175-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/) the specs are:

Maximum Power at STC*: 175 WOperating Temperature: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
Opitmum Operating Voltage: 19.5VOptimum Operating Current: 8.98A
Open-Circuit voltage (Voc): 23.9VShort-Circuit Current (Isc): 9.50A
Dimensions: 59.2x26.5x0.08 inchesWeight: 6.2 lbs

3*19.5V = 58.5V, comfortably above the voltage required for a 24V battery I think, although if one of them gets shaded that could drop. But let's assume you park somewhere sunny. For PV side you only need 9A * 2 = 18A, and 23.9V * 3 * (1.2x cold temperature overrating) = 86Voc. However, 6 * 175W / 24V = 43.75A into the battery if it is at 24V, so you would want the 50A model. So you could get the Victron MPPT 100|50. The "SmarSolar" one has bluetooth, the "BlueSolar" one does not (both are blue in color). EDITED.

Thanks! So what about the other various brands? Is Victron really that much better so that the premium cost is worth it?

I wouldn't trust a brand (eg: Renogy) that spells it "Opitmum" in their spec chart in one column and "Optimum" in the very next column. But yes there are other brands I just am not as familiar with them. You can read their datasheets and do the same sort of calculations I showed for Victron to find the appropriate model.

The Renogy MPPT reviews on Amazon are pretty garbage though...whereas Victron has a much better reputation and more positive reviews. I guess it boils down to whether you want a crappier, cheaper product designed in China or a more reliable, more expensive product designed in the Netherlands. I know what I would pick but it's sort of unrelated to the product we're talking about.

The Renogy MPPT reviews on Amazon are pretty garbage though...whereas Victron has a much better reputation and more positive reviews. I guess it boils down to whether you want a crappier, cheaper product designed in China or a more reliable, more expensive product designed in the Netherlands. I know what I would pick but it's sort of unrelated to the product we're talking about.
That's interesting. I thought Renogy was a Canadian firm although with regards to both I'd bet they're all made in China or at least mostly assembled there.

Back