diy solar

diy solar

Which clamp meter?

danpass

I've been looking at them now on Prime Day. So far each one I've looked at is missing the DC amps measuring function.

There are a dizzying amount of them online.

Thoughts? On something under $100

I've been looking at them now on Prime Day. So far each one I've looked at is missing the DC amps measuring function.

There are a dizzying amount of them online.

Thoughts? On something under $100
Not a prime day deal, was $47 when I ordered back in April. I have zero issues with it. It feels and functions like a quality unit.
AmazonCommercial 600A AC/DC Clamp Meter, True RMS, NCV, Flashlight, 6000 Count https://a.co/d/fH5RfLP

I will second the ht 208d, it is a good enough cheap clamp meter for the home hobbyists.
Numbers match my fluke. except for the clamping part since my fluke doesn't have that.
Numbers also match my shunt monitor.
I wouldn't recommend it if you need it for a paycheck but it's good enough.

I have two of the Uni-Test 210E and the sensitive 2A current range is super useful in tracing down phantom loads. On many of my wire harnesses I've included ready made loops in my system for testing. Any of these meters can be made more sensitive by adding extra turns. For me a 60A low range is a bit too insensitive.

I have two of the Uni-Test 210E and the sensitive 2A current range is super useful in tracing down phantom loads. On many of my wire harnesses I've included ready made loops in my system for testing. Any of these meters can be made more sensitive by adding extra turns. For me a 60A low range is a bit too insensitive.
IMG_20220715_125613525.jpg

I would say even at the 60 amp setting it is accurate enough .
At 240 volt 0.01 amp would be 2.4 watt, at 120 volt 1.2 watt.

Last edited:
I bought a Kaiweets HT206D last year for about $40, I use it to measure 50AMPs DC regularly, the measurements make sense compared to the rest of my system operation. I had a Klein before, but I gave it to a friend.

Which of these two to get?
I am liking this UT204+ for its wider range (6000 counts vs 2000 counts).
Likewise the resolution is finer as well.
1663404221221.png

What are your thoughts?

Which of these two to get?
I am liking this UT204+ for its wider range (6000 counts vs 2000 counts).
Likewise the resolution is finer as well.

What are your thoughts?
UT210D if you don't need over 200A.
Smaller jaw size is often big advantage when working in cramped spaces full of too short conductors.
If there is even a small change that you need over 200A then take the Ut204.

I’ve a UT 210E. Great unit. $60 told me immediately which glow plugs failed on my Diesel engine

Back