diy solar

diy solar

Which direction, Mods? [DIY Prod. Dev.] [ Street-Space ]

Remote Power Mania

Init for the CAD larp-
Hello, power hungry peeps.

Glad to find this place/ it's quite a bustling ecosystem. My interest in off-grid kicked off around 2013 as far as concerted study but probably like a lot of people, the idea was floating around in my head since 2008 :rolleyes: I have a background in submersible pumps that came from working in the landscape/irrigation industry. I loved pumps so much that I decided to start designing them, and that led me to getting my AS in machine tool technology ( word salad for machinist). From there I started on a degree in mfg engineering but wound up doing more computer related studies.

The reason I bring up those details is because the diy power/solar/led/whatever projects I am working on are perhaps crossing the line when it comes to whether they are really diy or actual prototyping in a manufacturing environment. All of my concepts are hashed out in CAD. If something seems promising I will move it into the prototyping stage. On the other hand, I am not a corp. I do not have a sales department and I have never sold any of the stuff I am working on. On the other-other hand, 40,000 pounds of machinery does not pay for itself, and some day in the future it would be nice to offer products for purchase.

I can see where it might be prudent to move over to the corp. pages but technically I don't have anything for sale, nor do I have an in hand product that is being released into the wild as of yet. If I were to put a label on my current situation it would be DIY Academic Research, or maybe DIY Product Development, lol.

Stuff I'm delving into:
-Full aluminum modular pack design based on a lot of NASA research into thermal management.
-LED lighting (complete systems)
-Ultra thin rigid mono-cell solar panels
-High vacuum everything. Because everything is better under high vacuum.
-Ultra lightweight off-grid in general. Carbon fiber, the whole nine.

Here's an example of a rough concept that I am interested in pursuing-

monoBlock.png

Some of the more out there concepts look like this full building lighting concept that is able to be mounted at
a single location in the building and span the length of the structure, up to 40.' It uses carbon rods that transport
cooling fluid to the LEDs, so no bulky heat sinks-
untitled.135.png
lightBeamv2.149.png

I think projects like the above are a pretty good summary of the sort of stuff I am into. In general, I am interested in the outlier concepts of what is possible with basic tech and basic mfg equipment. If a strategy were to be defined, I like to call it "Streetspace" as a play on aerospace for the streets. "If camping gear was designed by NASA" is another fun way to think about the mindset. Key to everything in this scope are Lightweight, Compact/Dense, and portable. Anyway, just some goals of my that I am working toward. Thanks for reading if you made it this far (y)

RPM

Reactions: Dzl
Back